Restart Loop

Hey all,

Weird Problem. It all started with a stray pen drive infected with the oft encountered "autorun.inf". Predictably, it wasn't visible even after enabling hidden. So i went through cmd and made it visible and deleted it. then formatted the pen drive. after that, my avast! started detecting more and more viruses from C:\ (xp folder) and autrun from the pen drive!

After repeating the above process, my avast! went berserk. It started detecting EVERY exe file in any folder i opened as a virus. and kept bombarding me with alerts. I thought. Let me shut it down and start again.

Alas! it was the last time i ever saw windows again. Now every time i switch my PC on, it boots windows, comes to scan disk, completes check up and then there's this regular period where screen goes black, mouse cursor is displayed. Just when ur thinking "aah, here comes my desktop!" it restarts!!! :mad: :S

Tried booting via safe mode, same thing happens. Is there anyway to rectify this WIHTOUT formatting/re installing windows???

Gimme your suggestions people. Living without PC is a lil difficult :(

thanks.

Ok.. glitches galore...

did all that... did exactly as tutorial asked me to do. but how do i connect to internet? it says do "freshclam" to update to latest database. Upon doing this it says cannot contact server. hence "giving up" on it...

I said fine, let's do it with "old" database, and gave go ahead for scanning. All it did was display a BIG message saying ur database is more than 7 days old.

whether it was scanning while displaying this or not.. i don't know.

what to do?

btw. If u could give me commands to connect to internet via this ubuntu thingy it'd be good. i have a bsnl bb connexion

is there something like pppoe or rp-ppp-oe command? type "ppp" or "rp" and press TAB couple of times to see if it lists the command? if not can you set up your modem to do PPPoE dialling by entering your BSNL user/pass in the modem and enabling DHCP in the modem so that the clamav CD can get a connection automatically?

i lost you after "lists the command" :s

can you give me a more detailed step list for setting up the modem to do a PPPoE dialling? I'm using the same modem while ol right now via dad's lappy. I appreciate your help in this matter.

Thanks for your quick responses. :)

what modem model do you have? if you change modem settings to try to get the CD to work, then it will break your laptop settings which you'll also have to modify to connect back online :)

i hope you'll be able to change back to existing settings should something go wrong...

in your modem configuration web page, look for a mode that can be changed from "bridged" to "pppoe" and enter your bsnl username and password. then look for a DHCP page and make sure it is enabled.

then in your laptop OS change LAN settings to "obtain IP automatically"... if that works then try the CD again...

hi...

sorry for the late reply.. since it's dad's lappy i get to use it very sparingly...

ok i got the PPP and always on part. tried it too. modem rebooted. all dandy.

I couldn't figure out how to change the Laptop OS LAn to "obtain ip automatically"

some help in this direction would be nice.

Currently i reverted back to the bridged setting.

Btw... My modem model is MT 882 Sterlite. I also have the ancient Huawei Mt800, if required.

Back