Restore Win 7 boot entry after XP install

tusharch

Disciple
Hello friends,

I have WIN 7 on my laptop and subsequently installed WIN XP. Since I installed XP after WIN 7, the boot entry for WIN 7 is not showing up in the multiple OS options.

I am already aware that this can be repaired using WIN 7 DVD.

My question is : Can this be done without the WIN 7 dvd, using some third party software ?
(My laptop dvd drive is not working, last option is to make a USB WIN 7 bootable stick)
any suggestions ... ?

Yea! This happens because XP writes its bootloader over Windows 7. In order to add Windows 7 entry to the bootloader follow these steps:-

1) Download and install EasyBCD on your Windows 7.

2) Launch EasyBCD and click on Add/Remove Entries in left hand side.

3) In the bottom right section type Microsoft Windows XP for the name and select Windows NT/2k/XP/2k3 as type.

4) Click on the Add Entry button and then Save button in the upper right section.

5) Click on Manage Bootloader in left hand side.

6) Check the Reinstall the Vista Bootloader option then click on the Write MBR button.

7) Close the app and restart the computer to see the effect..

Hope it works. :)

XTechManiac said:
Yea! This happens because XP writes its bootloader over Windows 7. In order to add Windows 7 entry to the bootloader follow these steps:-

1) Download and install EasyBCD on your Windows 7.

2) Launch EasyBCD and click on Add/Remove Entries in left hand side.

3) In the bottom right section type Microsoft Windows XP for the name and select Windows NT/2k/XP/2k3 as type.

4) Click on the Add Entry button and then Save button in the upper right section.

5) Click on Manage Bootloader in left hand side.

6) Check the Reinstall the Vista Bootloader option then click on the Write MBR button.

7) Close the app and restart the computer to see the effect..

Hope it works. :)
Well, He said his win 7 boot entry gone, so how can he launch easy BCD in Win7. :)

@tusharch

Not sure of any other method,all I did is used Win7 DVD and check for startup problem, it worked fine. In case it overwrites XP entry you can use steps given by XTechManiac.

adi_vastava said:
Well, He said his win 7 boot entry gone, so how can he launch easy BCD in Win7. :)

Err! I read something else! :ashamed:

@tusharch

Anyways, even I don't know any other method. The all you can do is, use Win7 DVD to repair and then follow steps given by me to restore Windows XP entry. As simple as it sounds. :)

tusharch said:
Hello friends,

I have WIN 7 on my laptop and subsequently installed WIN XP. Since I installed XP after WIN 7, the boot entry for WIN 7 is not showing up in the multiple OS options.

I am already aware that this can be repaired using WIN 7 DVD.

My question is : Can this be done without the WIN 7 dvd, using some third party software ?
(My laptop dvd drive is not working, last option is to make a USB WIN 7 bootable stick)
any suggestions ... ?

install vistaboot pro in winxp > install the windows vista bootloarder through VBP > add entry of windows xp in it . Simple as that....

anfjavid said:
install vistaboot pro in winxp > install the windows vista bootloarder through VBP > add entry of windows xp in it . Simple as that....

Thanks for the software! Hmm seems good, will test it out next time.. Anyways it will be windows 7. :p

Back