Review: Asus O! Play Mini

Review: Asus O! Play Mini

After much delay posting this short review.

The player was with me for hardly 20 mins, which i somehow utilized to squeeze out these points. The Pics have been clicked with HTC Incredible S, so something else which might interest you
happy19.gif

Introduction:-

Asus O! Play Mini is a compact media player which is capable of playing most of the video and audio formats apart from the usual picture files. Main attraction is a basic player which promises to deliver while still keeping the pricing to a bare minimum. Sure the player doesnt gives two hoots to future proofing by including the USB 3.0 support, but does provides the goodness of 7.1 surround sound and support for full 1080p. NAS, DLNA and 3.5" HDD support augments the package.

2ekm5jo.jpg

334qiz4.jpg

Package Contents:-

1) Asus O Play Mini

2) Composite Cables

3) Ac Adapter

4) Remote for the player

5) Installation Disc

6) Manual

7) Remote Batteries

Asus has taken out the HDMI cable from the bundle when it was announced.

o926iv.jpg

jqlxsi.jpg

Specifications:-

Dimensions (WxDxH):-

151.85 x 106.7 x 29.03 mm

Weight:-

175 g

Input:-

1 x DC Power In

1 x USB Port(s)

1 x S/PDIF (Optical)

4 -in-1 Card Readers ( SD/ MS/ xD/ MMC)

Output:-

Composite Video

Composite Audio L/R

S/PDIF Out (Optical)

HDMI 1.3

Power:- 12 Vdc, 2 A

Power Consumption:- 10 W

File Systems:-

FAT16/32, NTFS, HFS/HFS+, EXT3

Format Comatibility

Image : JPEG, BMP, PNG, GIF

Subtitle : SRT, SUB, SMI, SSA, ASS, IDX, TXT

Audio : MP3, WAV, AAC, OGG, FLAC, AIFF, Dolby Digital AC3, Dolby Digital Plus, DTS 2.0 +Digital out, Tag ID3

Video : MPEG1, MPEG2, MPEG4, RM, RMVB, VC-1, H.264

Video File Extension : TRP, MP4, MOV, Xvid, AVI, ASF, WMV, MKV, RMVB 720p, RMVB 1080p, FLV, TS, MTS, M2TS, DAT, MPG, VOB, ISO, IFO, M1V, M2V, M4V

Set Up:-

Setting up the Player is easy as you would like. Plug in the component cables and the adapter at the back and you are set. The regular jazz.

My testing of this player was carried out on Samsung 32" LCD. Stock Settings. O/p was derived via HDMI cable.

13z01g5.jpg

First thing which comes to the mind is "Boy! This player is really tiny!!"

dmclg0.jpg

Upon firing up the player you are greeted with the set up screen.

You proceed to set the Language and Time.

2eg46jp.jpg

Through with the initial step, you are presented with a basic menu.

Menu comprises of Movie/Songs/Pics/Folder By/Setting options.

Be Warned, If you select the Movie files option.. and you happen to have a large stash of movies on your HDD, then may the force be with you.

Expected action was to scan only the files on the root of the HDD and display the rest folders simply but the player scans every video file, a la bot spiders of Minority Report, and you ll have to wait a decent bit. I had attached a 160GB hdd and i had to wait frustratingly.

Better option is to select the 'Folder By' option and navigate to your desired file.

2hnqqrr.jpg

The player displays the file names on the right side and opens a small display window on the left.

Interestingly, this is not a preview/sampler on your left. The player will go on to play the entire length of the movie file.

Performance:-

As expected, (although i was a bit jittery)

the player proceeded to play every file i threw at it. Be it the 720p or the 1080p file without any hitch.

Was pretty happy and satisfied with the performance. Then just like a sweeping thought, disconnected the HDD and played the same file directly via the LCD's USB

i noticed the details of the movie file via O Play Mini was a shade lesser. Just a spot.

To put it in perspective, the quality of USB playback was 10/10, Asus scored a very decent 9/10

I found the default level of brightness a shade higher. One quick adjustment in the menu to level 23/24 got things as desired. Nothing to crib about, just a heads up.

dxcsqe.jpg

The remote could have been supplied with better buttons. Meatier than usual meant that a bit of a play was there while pressing them. But they still did the job.

Positives:-

Form Factor: Seen lunch boxes bigger than this.

Setup: Simple and Jiffy.

Picture Quality: 9/10.

The cheap price cannot be ignored: ~3550 shipped.

Negatives:-

Noticed lag of 2 sec approx in oprations like stop, start.

Lags a wee bit while browsing through files.

Buttons surely are extra meaty. Tactile response is not tight.

HDMI cable not there in pckg.

The lags as mentioned above are there just for the sake of it.

For the price that they are being offered for, i dont think you can crib about it.

Verdict:-

Looking at the Asus O! Play Mini, and keeping the pricing in mind, the thought which comes to the mind automatically is.. that was it too hard for the stellar companies to come up with a device which did just what a player should and not cost a bomb??

The O play mini does that and doesnt burns a hole in the pocket at the same time.

With the pricing of 3550/- shipped that i got this player for, it really is the best bang for money out there as no other manufacturer has offered anything this cheap.

Whatever the little negatives i observed, they are just minor things which can be easily overlooked in the wake of the value for money deal being offered here.

A sureshot purchase for the needy. 5/5 Product.

Update:-

1) New firmware addresses the lag (during menu scrolling) and other UI issues.

2) Confirmed by users that Dolby True HD is working, but DTS HD MA still not supported

3) Price been jacked up to 3975/- now. The new pricing stings a little bit, as price bracket of ~35xx was sweet psychologically. But, it stil remains a nifty solution in its price range.

Re: Review: Asus O! Play Mini

Update:-

1) Updated firmware addresses the lag and other UI issues.

2) Confirmed by users that Dolby True HD is working, but DTS HD MA still not supported

=================================================================================================

agantuk said:
Just 3550 shipped? Wow. Would you be able to tell how it compares to the WDTV? I bought one for 5K less than a year back and feel bad seeing this price. I don't have complaints with the WDTV, but if I could have got a similar thing for cheaper why not!
Well my research was basically targetting a player which ll play all the formats.. or atleast all the popular ones there are. Every company has a model out there but cost was something which was the defining factor and Asus O Play mini clinched vote there.

manju_rn said:
How does the DLNA feature come up? This should resolve the connectivity & controlling issues with other devices? Did anyone test the DLNA?

XTechManiac said:
Ah, NAS?! How was your experience while downloading torrent with it?

20 mins was very less time for me to be even thinking about anything like NAS/DLNA.

i managed to check the output and comparison with the usb playback of the TV was something i am relieved to have achieved.
akshay7g said:
Nice review Spacey!!

I'm planning on getting a mediaplayer. Confused between this one and ASUS O!Play HDP-R1 (USB+eSATA+LAN). Which one to go with?
Strictly speaking, the usage you mention is very specific.

I cannot make any comment on the Asus O! Play HDP beyond what's there available on the internet. Just make sure you purchase the player on your intended usage.

I can vouch for this player that this is just lip smacking offer.
sekharsomu said:
i am looking forward to buy a media player how can Asus o! mini be compared to Seagate theatre + leaving the cost factor aside

i am just tending towards Seagate as i have 2 GOFLEX drives with me and Also going to buy another one

Does any one here using it?
You can connect any HDD with this player. So why the fuss over getting the specific player of Seagate ?

I always found the docking system of Seagate to be propriety iinm with the model here.

antonieo said:
hi is there any lag while playing the full hd movies as well as .ts movies
NO LAGS.

Absolutely nothing. Test file was Matrix trilogy, excess of 8GB each and 1080p in nature.

Does it have inbuilt HDD like WDTV ?

If,YES then this is definitely a good media player at cheap.

If not then @5K(don't no if available or not) WDTV is with 1TB HDD is better choice ???.....

Revolution said:
Does it have inbuilt HDD like WDTV ?
If,YES then this is definitely a good media player at cheap.
If not then @5K(don't no if available or not) WDTV is with 1TB HDD is better choice ???.....
5k :huh: can you give me the link as far as I know wdtv (live hub) with internal hard disk available in market for the price of more than Rs.10k.

Value Buyer said:
5k :huh: can you give me the link as far as I know wdtv (live hub) with internal hard disk available in market for the price of more than Rs.10k.

So,only WDTV Live got HDD ?
Other WDTV or Mini version or any other media player in the market doesn't have any HDD at similar price???

And about 5K.
I saw from the following thread.

agantuk said:
Just 3550 shipped? Wow. Would you be able to tell how it compares to the WDTV? I bought one for 5K less than a year back and feel bad seeing this price. I don't have complaints with the WDTV, but if I could have got a similar thing for cheaper why not!

I have a CRT TV and I don't think I'll upgrade to a LCD/LED TV for another year or two. So which will be better for me? This or Amkette Flash Drive TV Player for 2K? Given HD won't make any sense on a 21" CRT.

Amkette Flash TV | eBay

EDIT: Ordered my player from Ebay. Used the discount coupon and shaved off 182 bucks. Sweet deal. :D

in the supported formats list of this media player, y is the video format specified into 2 categories "Video" and "Video File extension" ???

OK! Got my player today. As expected, the performance is awesome. No lag or stutter in any video playback. I have a concern though, when I power off the player, it goes into standby mode, I power it on once again, playback any video and the sound goes off completely. I have momentarily connected it to my SDTV via composite cables. Could a firmware upgrade fix this issue? The player is currently on 1.10. Also I noticed the subtitle preferences do not get saved. But overall, I like the player. Wish these issues are sorted out.

I currently dont have the player as both the units were meant for my acquaintances.

Also, the test/review was done on HDTV only.

Will try to get hold of the player if possible and will check these concerns out. In the meantime i think you should upgrade to the latest firmware and see if any of these issues have been dealt with already.

ASUSTeK Computer Inc. - Multimedia- ASUS O!Play Mini

Firmware Update 1.12 [32,59 MB/ 2011.05.11]

[Release Note V1.12] O!Play Mini

Now supports AutoPlay feature.

Edit Playlist in your PC/NB

1. Movie & Music: playlist.m3u (UTF-8)

2. Photo: playlist.alb (UTF-8)

Firmware Update 1.13 [32,59 MB / 2011.05.16]

[Release Note V1.13] O!Play Mini

Now supports AutoPlay feature--one plug and all play.

1. Save all the video files to certain folder called AutoPlay in root catalog of USB drive.

2. Insert USB or SD/MMC/MS/xD card ,O!Play Mini can automatically play all video files that are included in file in loop.

Okie doke! So how's the update done? Download the image file, load it on a thumb drive, go into the firmware update options menu and load it up?

I hope it rectifies this sound problem. Don't want to end up with an RMA. :(

Also is it just me or is the player's fast forward and rewind ability pathetic? Even at 32X, it can't forward fast enough. The only alternative I see is to use time skip, which would advance the time by 5 minutes.

I am thinking of buying this player today...with ebay coupon..Can somebody confirm if it can play DTS-HD MA..ie Can it play files with names like

Bad Teacher 2011 Unrated CEE 1080p Blu-ray Remux AVC DTS-HD MA 5.1

And can it play files of size more than 30GB?

Hi,

Can anyone let me know how to get the audio digital optical out (from asus oplay mini) to the logitech z906 speakers? Any settings needs to be done at the asus oplay mini? Iam not getting the audio out from the media player. (my video is connected through HDMI to the TV - which works fine. But even the audio goes to the TV which i dont need)

Hi,

Can anyone let me know how to get the audio digital optical out (from asus oplay mini) to the logitech z906 speakers? Any settings needs to be done at the asus oplay mini? Iam not getting the audio out from the media player. (my video is connected through HDMI to the TV - which works fine. But even the audio goes to the TV which i dont need)

Did the problem get sorted ??

I am also planning to buy the same, but if the issue persists, then it's a no go>

Also can anyone tell me about the subtitle support of this thingy?

Does it support .srt files ?

(If Ps3 did that, then I wouldn't be needing this thing
<
)

Ya. But if i have one video file and one sub fie (same name) ..will it work?

Or do I need to have MKV having them in same file, but different stream ?
<

I just picked up my Asus O Play mini on Sunday from SP Road! I have to say that I am really liking it so far. I'm just trying to figure out how to get it to connect to my JVC sound system instead of my Sony TV's inbuilt speaker. Also can someone recommend a good brand of HDMI cable to buy? I have great quality rips of movies and would like to watch them on the HDTV rather than on my 22 inch monitor.

Any HDMI cable would do
<

Don't spend more than 300-400 on one and avoid branded ones since they are too expensive for no reason at all.

Also is it possible that you send video signal through HDMi and audio through Optical out at the same time?

Back