PC Peripherals Rig for 3d animation and vfx

haunted4life

Disciple
Hey guys am looking for building a new rig within this week. Am not going to be ocing or go for an SLI OR Crossfire, since I ain't a big gamer, already have an Xbox 360 and prefer console gaming. All I need is a really stable system at the same time relatively good processing power. I need this for working on 3d animation and vfx. The following are the things am looking at right now, please feel free to comment or suggest something else.
Processor: Q6600 or Q9450 (16,200) for an OEM pack i.e. with no heat sink

Motherboard: Maximus Formula

Graphics card: Xfx 9800 Gtx or xfx 8800 Gts 512 xxx edition. Both cost the same 18200

Ram: pretty much no options here. So getting Transcend 2 x 2 gb 800 Mhz rams

Hdd: Western Digital WD5000AAKS or could get any other like Hitachi/Segate for roughly the same price.

Monitor: Dell SP2208WFP 22â€, already placed an order,another option I did have was LG L226WTQ

Case : Antec 900 Gaming Chassis.My only options here are Antec and Cooler master(not interested in Zebronics/Iball and dont get NZXT :'( ) and do I really need this case, cause the cost of the complete rig is going a little overboard. But again if this is what I need then I will live with the cost I guess.

Psu : Corsair Hx620 for about 6900 or Cooler master extreme power 650 for 4950

UPS APC 800VA

Sorry if the post turned out too long or boring, oh well not really sorry but guess had to say it anyways kiddin :tongue: . Hope to hear something from you guys.

get some corsair rams and get the cooler master 690 cabby , the antec 900 is jus waste of money

get the q9450 along with a tru - shud go well

any reasons why u getting teh maximus , no point here since ur not gonna clock ? get some otehr stable performer , besides asus warranty suxors afa mobos go

SoulFire said:
1)get some corsair rams and get the cooler master 690 cabby , the antec 900 is jus waste of money

2)get the q9450 along with a tru - shud go well

3)any reasons why u getting teh maximus , no point here since ur not gonna clock ? get some otehr stable performer , besides asus warranty suxors afa mobos go

1) Corsair are shyt expensive or atleast their premium ones are. Roughly their 1 GB stick is 1100 but at the same time their 2 GB ones go haywire and dont settle for 2200 :mad: and the reason I dont want to go for 4 X 1GB sticks is cause, in a couple of days it self I might pump the rig to 6 or 8 GB. And yeah I will go for a XP X64 so it wont bottleneck the memory :clap:

The Cooler Master 690, does it make too much sense I mean, for the premium they ask when compared to other casing solutions they dont seem to have enough fans inside. But then again DO I NEED SO MANY FANS INSIDE ?

2) sorry but what is a tru again ? And yeah will probably run to q9450 if it works out

3)Guess I will chuck the maximus after all, what do you suggest thou Gigabyte D3S L (lol sounds somethin like that) or Abit IP35 PRO. Aint givin you an Asus choice here since you seem to hate em hehe

Thanks for your reply :) hope you share in a lot more.

ABit IP35-pro sounds like a good option.

Get CM690.

Get Corsair HX620.

TRUE = ThermalRight Ultima Extreme. It's a heatsink, and best one out there for air cooling.

Get workstation card. Since you prefer console gaming no point going for mainstream gaming cards. Start level FireGL or Quadro should do you good, even though they will be slightly expensive than the cards you mentioned, for 3D/VFX work workstation cards will give you more bang-for-buck.

Western Digital WD5000AAKS drives are great performers for the cost they're available at. But Seagate 500GB barracuda is also great performer. I've been using Seagate drives since many years and they haven't failed me yet. Although I've read on forums that WD drives are more prone to crashing currently I'm using WD320AAKS, and I'm satisfied with it so far.

Corsair XMS2 rams aren't way-over-the-top expensive. I'm not sure about 2x2gb sticks though.

It would be rather good if you mention overall budget you're looking at spending on this rig.

1- don't get maximus formula. It won't give you any advantage over Abit IP-35 Pro.

2- Stay away from CM Extreme Power series

3- Try to get 1066 Mhz RAM. It's better to get RAM from Newegg via KMD (A dealer here on TE)

4- If it's possible, get a workstation GFX card. The pricing sux on these cards but you can't help as this is where AMD, Nvidia hope to get some big bucks after bleeding in the desktop/gaming market.

You can get either Nvidia's Quadro FX1700 or ATI's FireGL V5600. They will be a little expensive than your 9800GTX and compare poorly to GTX as far as specs go but will give you better performance in your line of work.

iGo said:
1)ABit IP35-pro sounds like a good option.

2)Get CM690.

3)Get Corsair HX620.

4)TRUE = ThermalRight Ultima Extreme. It's a heatsink, and best one out there for air cooling.

5)Get workstation card. Since you prefer console gaming no point going for mainstream gaming cards. Start level FireGL or Quadro should do you good, even though they will be slightly expensive than the cards you mentioned, for 3D/VFX work workstation cards will give you more bang-for-buck.

6)Western Digital WD5000AAKS drives are great performers for the cost they're available at. But Seagate 500GB barracuda is also great performer. I've been using Seagate drives since many years and they haven't failed me yet. Although I've read on forums that WD drives are more prone to crashing currently I'm using WD320AAKS, and I'm satisfied with it so far.

7)Corsair XMS2 rams aren't way-over-the-top expensive. I'm not sure about 2x2gb sticks though.

8)It would be rather good if you mention overall budget you're looking at spending on this rig.

1) :) Will go for it then, Any idea about how good the after sales service is for ABIT

2)CM 690 costs about 4000 (approx) And all it comes with is one fan of 120 mm, I mean isnt that being a lil too mean to the poor ol customers :(

3)No doubt bout that anymore, everyone seem to love that

4)One of the best :D but how big a hole would they burn in my pocket :huh:

5)See the thing is the pricing they lay down in india, I mean for example the 8800 GTS 512 xxx goes for about 10,000 (in usa :Newegg.com - XFX PVT88GYDD4 GeForce 8800GTS (G92) 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics) But when it comes here it turns into 18,200. While those cards cost about 20,000 (in usa) it seems to scare me how much it would cost here, considering its availability must be a lot more lesser in comparison to the gaming series cards.

6)I have built about 10 systems for my friends, used WD for all of them and never heard of complaint from any, lol atleast yet. The problem thou is, all the guys I made one for had no issues with the budget and wanted the generic gaming machine, so it never seemed like an issue choosing parts.

7)Corsair 2 GB sticks cost anything from 3,600 - 4,000. The same goes for Gskill. While am getting transcend for 1,725 for 2 GB

8)Well honestly I started out with a budget of 70,000 now I have gone up till around 90. Give or take a few. Anything above 95 is not my option at all

Oh and really thanks for your time, was really good reading your ideas :)

morgoth said:
1- don't get maximus formula. It won't give you any advantage over Abit IP-35 Pro.

3- Try to get 1066 Mhz RAM. It's better to get RAM from Newegg via KMD (A dealer here on TE)

4- If it's possible, get a workstation GFX card. The pricing sux on these cards but you can't help as this is where AMD, Nvidia hope to get some big bucks after bleeding in the desktop/gaming market.

You can get either Nvidia's Quadro FX1700 or ATI's FireGL V5600. They will be a little expensive than your 9800GTX and compare poorly to GTX as far as specs go but will give you better performance in your line of work.

Thanks for your reply, much appreciated :)

1) :) WILL DO, alright stupid question but how big a difference does the sound card make between the 2. The sound FX II that Maximus uses and the one that ABIT uses. No I dont use 7.1 speakers but I do use 5.1 lol, so would it show a lot between the two.

2) Definitely going with the Corsair HX620 :hap2:

3)I tried searching for KMD (http://www.techenclave.com/members/kmd.html) but said no such user exists :huh: So guess he has maybe a different name lol. But one more question, How long does he take to deliver and is it only ram or even other stuff that he can provide :ashamed:

4)(quoting the same that I replied to IGO) See the thing is the pricing they lay down in india, I mean for example the 8800 GTS 512 xxx goes for about 10,000 (in usa :Newegg.com - XFX PVT88GYDD4 GeForce 8800GTS (G92) 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics) But when it comes here it turns into 18,200. While those cards cost about 20,000 (in usa) it seems to scare me how much it would cost here, considering its availability must be a lot more lesser in comparison to the gaming series cards.

One more question thou, is there a big difference between Ip35 and Ip35 Pro, cause all i could find was the pro has something to overclock(wont use) to have a view at the systems temperatures (wont use again) and 2 Esata ports (doubt I will need) but the cost difference between the two is 4,000 bucks

morgoth said:

3) Adding to what I just said earlier, if I go for the Abit Ip35 board I can't go with 1066 Rams since the maximum they support is 800Mhz :(

greenhorn said:
why we dont recommend ASUS is that most of us have faced a lot of issues with RMA ing Asus products in india , since their channel partners seem to be overloaded and otherwise not very helpful. A few links for you
http://www.techenclave.com/graphic-...pecviewperf-benchmarks-techenclave-98640.html
katmandude
:)

:hap2: like seriously :hap2: lol thanks for both your links :) already pmed Katmandude(kmd in short :ashamed: )

And also the other link just pretty much blew me away . . . thanks a lot :)

haunted4life said:
:hap2: like seriously :hap2: lol thanks for both your links :) already pmed Katmandude(kmd in short :ashamed: )

And also the other link just pretty much blew me away . . . thanks a lot :)

That 2600xt-FireGL mod works...But it has annoying poly "selection lag"/"selection order" issues in Maya. Max seems ok with it...but u dont need as much opengl acceleration with Max...do you...

That bug is even present in original FireGL :(

Also stay away from 8600GT/GTS...The viewport spins like shit for no reason in Maya smtimes...

no point going for the 1066ram..

get the 9450+IP35Pro/E(guess you can decide between the two)+TRUE+hx620..

a true works out to arnd 2.7k.. you'll have to shell out additional for a fan though. other options are Thermalright Ultima90i for 2.2+additional fan, Arctic Cooling Freezer Pro 7 for 1.7k with fan included.. also a few of the coolermaster heatsinks are also locally availble though i aint sure of the pricing.

kmd = katmandude

also for the gfx.. consider an ATI card...

solely coz of this following thread. do go through it before you make your decision.

http://www.techenclave.com/graphic-...pecviewperf-benchmarks-techenclave-98640.html

edit --- wahhh.. way too late in making my post :(

sTALKEr said:
no point going for the 1066ram..

1)get the 9450+IP35Pro/E(guess you can decide between the two)+TRUE+hx620..

2)a true works out to arnd 2.7k.. you'll have to shell out additional for a fan though. other options are Thermalright Ultima90i for 2.2+additional fan, Arctic Cooling Freezer Pro 7 for 1.7k with fan included.. also a few of the coolermaster heatsinks are also locally availble though i aint sure of the pricing.
3)kmd = katmandude

4)also for the gfx.. consider an ATI card...
solely coz of this following thread. do go through it before you make your decision.

5)edit --- wahhh.. way too late in making my post :(

1)Yeah that seems to be the running config in my mind right now. Will end up with the Ip35 and not the pro, if its just the same.

2)Thats almost going to work out to 20,000, like twice as much as q6600, you think its worth that much :huh: Thanks for giving me all the options with the different fans :)

3)yup got that now :p

4)Yup IM SO FRIGGIN OVERWHELMED by the whole thing, the whole 9800 GTX is off my mind lol atleast for now

5)lol you sure arent late bout everything, can tell me how to edit posts lol

Again thanks for your message dude :clapping:

vij said:
That 2600xt-FireGL mod works...But it has annoying poly "selection lag"/"selection order" issues in Maya. Max seems ok with it...but u dont need as much opengl acceleration with Max...do you...
That bug is even present in original FireGL :(
Also stay away from 8600GT/GTS...The viewport spins like shit for no reason in Maya smtimes...

:crazeyes: am just going to end up killing myself, why do selecting something have to be so freaking hard. so what would you suggest dude, cause I would use maya a lot more than max. Would a 9800 GTX or 8800 GTS xxx edition be good enough ?

Also What good are workstation cards other than cutting down the render times ?

Thanks for your views, helps a lot

Ajayarun said:
^^^ even ati 3870 or ati 2900 will modified you firegl card ;)

Thanks :) nice to know thats the case. But again sorry for the stupid question but what do workstation cards do other than cutting down your render times :)

Workstation cards dont reduce software render times...They are mainly for enhancing your viewport perfomance. Your software render times are almost totally dependent on your processor and RAM.

Regarding FireGL mods, even the FireStream 3870 mod has the poly selection issues...

Newer patches are expected, but dont count on it.

If you are buying now and going to use Maya to learn, consider the 9600GT( I have not checked it, but surely it cant be as crappy as 8600GT). You can enjoy the occasional game on it too.

Il tell you exactly what to expect with the 2600XT FireGL mods...

1. Very good viewport perfomance...Lugs large scenes very very well in Maya even without the mod. Good architecture.

2. Buggy component selection...Sometimes the faces do appear blurred in large poly models and need restart.

3. Selection order problems... You select an object and something behind it gets selected based on outliner ordering.

4. Large models hold up extremely well...but try selecting the model and expect considerable lag even though the viewport is silky smooth...Working on vertices on complex models can be a frustrating experience. Actually its amusing coz the viewport holds up so well...but the darn thing struggles while selecting. Driver issues, I am afraid.

vij said:
Workstation cards dont reduce software render times...They are mainly for enhancing your viewport perfomance. Your software render times are almost totally dependent on your processor and RAM.
Regarding FireGL mods, even the FireStream 3870 mod has the poly selection issues...
Newer patches are expected, but dont count on it.
If you are buying now and going to use Maya to learn, consider the 9600GT( I have not checked it, but surely it cant be as crappy as 8600GT). You can enjoy the occasional game on it too.

Il tell you exactly what to expect with the 2600XT FireGL mods...
1. Very good viewport perfomance...Lugs large scenes very very well in Maya even without the mod. Good architecture.
2. Buggy component selection...Sometimes the faces do appear blurred in large poly models and need restart.
3. Selection order problems... You select an object and something behind it gets selected based on outliner ordering.
4. Large models hold up extremely well...but try selecting the model and expect considerable lag even though the viewport is silky smooth...Working on vertices on complex models can be a frustrating experience. Actually its amusing coz the viewport holds up so well...but the darn thing struggles while selecting. Driver issues, I am afraid.

Yeah I knew about software render, I was talking about the hardware part since dynamics and particles work better on hardware render IMO

Yup been reading all day long and everyone seem to have a problem with ATI and Maya working together, and that would really be frustrating for me.

Yeah and even 8800 seem to have a fair bit of problem, and since I have the funds to go with upto a certain limit, I guess 9800 falls just about right, what do you think ?

THANKS A LOT FOR YOUR DETAILED ANSWER, threw me completly off my stupid bubble about the mods and they dont seem worth it any longer. :no:

Back