PC Peripherals Rig for 3d animation and vfx

Google for RTSquare.... besides nVidia's own Gelato renderer, that seems to be the only renderer that uses GPU for rendering tasks.

And I mean, actual rendering task... not viewport rendering. For viewport rendering, workstation cards are your best options.

I recently bought HD3870 from US, at dirt cheap cost.. 7800 rs. only. I'm planning to softmod it to FireGL 8600 soon. If you order it via KMD, you should still be able to get it under 10k mark.

At that cost, softmodding it to FireGL and getting most out it... blows away any mainstream (read: gaming) card.

Oh well... here's the link : Rtsquare

iGo said:
Google for RTSquare.... besides nVidia's own Gelato renderer, that seems to be the only renderer that uses GPU for rendering tasks.
And I mean, actual rendering task... not viewport rendering. For viewport rendering, workstation cards are your best options.

I recently bought HD3870 from US, at dirt cheap cost.. 7800 rs. only. I'm planning to softmod it to FireGL 8600 soon. If you order it via KMD, you should still be able to get it under 10k mark.
At that cost, softmodding it to FireGL and getting most out it... blows away any mainstream (read: gaming) card.

Oh well... here's the link : Rtsquare

I have asked KMD for the FX 1700; will see how much he quotes it for. Also one more question since you bought it from the US, does your warranty still carry. lol wish I was there, things atleast ones that appeal most to us seem dead cheap there :'(

basically, you can get it shipped back to the states to claim warranty.. you wont get any local warranty, you'll have to claim warranty from the states and you'll have to pay for to and fro shipping.. which'll be arnd 600 odd bucks is what ive heard.

I'm not so sure about warranty, probably you'll have to ship it back to US for RMA I guess. I bought it from newegg, so newegg warranty still applies. I might have to just ship it back to person who got it for me and he would take care of the rest.

Anyway, Sapphire has only one distributor in India and that's in Delhi (They had one in Mumbai before, but now it's no more listed on their site). So either way, I will have to either contact Delhi or ship it back to US. Fortunately, of all the stuff I've got from US... I've yet to face problem with any of them. Touchwood. :D

You can check the card I bought, here : http://www.techenclave.com/show-off/graphic-intoxicated-network-gigafied-109338.html (shameless self promo :p)

I've been researching about HD3870 softmodding for some time now. One thing I keep reading that particularly with 3870 is that, after softmodding it to FireGL the gaming performance doesn't seem to hamper a bit. Not that it matters to you as you're console gamer, but I find it interesting that it's a really win-win situation. :)

sTALKEr said:
basically, you can get it shipped back to the states to claim warranty.. you wont get any local warranty, you'll have to claim warranty from the states and you'll have to pay for to and fro shipping.. which'll be arnd 600 odd bucks is what ive heard.

Sounds a crappy process, I mean 600 is alright but seems like the whole thing will take ages sending him to kmd and he forwarding it and everything. What do you think, anybody faced issues from things you have bought ?

And again thanks for the quick reply :)

haunted4life said:
Sounds a crappy process, I mean 600 is alright but seems like the whole thing will take ages sending him to kmd and he forwarding it and everything. What do you think, anybody faced issues from things you have bought ?

And again thanks for the quick reply :)

dunno whom you wanna ship to the states... :p

you could pm kmd for details on whether anyone has previously claimed warranty in this manner. and i really dunno abt the waiting period for the same.

alternatively you could buy your stuff locally, but be prepared to pay a premium for the same.

sTALKEr said:
dunno whom you wanna ship to the states... :p

you could pm kmd for details on whether anyone has previously claimed warranty in this manner. and i really dunno abt the waiting period for the same.
alternatively you could buy your stuff locally, but be prepared to pay a premium for the same.

lol guess I will wait for getting the price from KMD and check how much gain I have before I decide where to buy the same from :p

iGo said:
I'm not so sure about warranty, probably you'll have to ship it back to US for RMA I guess. I bought it from newegg, so newegg warranty still applies. I might have to just ship it back to person who got it for me and he would take care of the rest.

Anyway, Sapphire has only one distributor in India and that's in Delhi (They had one in Mumbai before, but now it's no more listed on their site). So either way, I will have to either contact Delhi or ship it back to US. Fortunately, of all the stuff I've got from US... I've yet to face problem with any of them. Touchwood. :D

You can check the card I bought, here : http://www.techenclave.com/show-off/graphic-intoxicated-network-gigafied-109338.html (shameless self promo :p)

I've been researching about HD3870 softmodding for some time now. One thing I keep reading that particularly with 3870 is that, after softmodding it to FireGL the gaming performance doesn't seem to hamper a bit. Not that it matters to you as you're console gamer, but I find it interesting that it's a really win-win situation. :)

lol nah thanks for your link, enjoyed reading through it. lol lemme start my own research on the 3870 for now I guess, I mean its so hard when you have something set in your mind and suddenly something else pops in hehe

Oh and also I see you, using the P5KC how do you like that board and has it given you much trouble this far ?

haunted4life said:
One more question thou, is there a big difference between Ip35 and Ip35 Pro, cause all i could find was the pro has something to overclock(wont use) to have a view at the systems temperatures (wont use again) and 2 Esata ports (doubt I will need) but the cost difference between the two is 4,000 bucks

IP35-E is a very good mobo for its price but of course IP-35-Pro is better. It has solid capacitors, better cooling, more ports, better components and of course support for high speed RAM.
But of course, you can't go wrong with any of these mobos as they are very nice VFM

haunted4life said:
Oh and also I see you, using the P5KC how do you like that board and has it given you much trouble this far

Absolutely no. It's working like a charm. The only reason I bought that board was for some quick upgrading to Penryn and DDR3 without changing the board, before I plunk down my money on Nehalem when it comes (which I won't, as I really need to save some money).

Anyway, it's been very stable board. No issues at all. I haven't given any serious overclocking task to it as yet. Although I experimented OCing my cpu for short time, just for the heck of it (another one of those sleepless nights). On stock heatsink I could drive my Q6600 upto 3Ghz. But I didn't keep it as temps where going around 60-63 at idle. Anyway, all those kidas I'm holding till I get good heatsink and couple more GT fans. But the board could do it and even though it's nothing record breaking, it didn't gave any trouble.

Main problem with Asus is their (insert F world here) channel partners here. Poor service and horribly long waiting times, are the usual complaints you'll hear about Asus (perticularly Rashi peripherals). Luckily for me, I had to deal with them only twice few years back, for my graphic cards... and I didn't have any trouble getting my stuff repaired/replaced.

I had once considered getting IP35, but I couldn't find it. IP35-E was too less on features and IP35-Pro was bit expensive. IP35 was best option sitting nicely between the two, but absolutely unavailable everywhere. That's the reason why I went in for P5Kc (that and option for both types of memory, DDR2 & DDR3)

morgoth said:
IP35-E is a very good mobo for its price but of course IP-35-Pro is better. It has solid capacitors, better cooling, more ports, better components and of course support for high speed RAM.
But of course, you can't go wrong with any of these mobos as they are very nice VFM

Am not talking about IP35-E, talking about the IP35, which is the same build like the IP35-PRO only difference being the former doesnt have 2 Esata ports while the other does. Well I guess its a stupid question anyways, I mean lol when I know its the same build ought to be good enough right ;)

iGo said:
Absolutely no. It's working like a charm. The only reason I bought that board was for some quick upgrading to Penryn and DDR3 without changing the board, before I plunk down my money on Nehalem when it comes (which I won't, as I really need to save some money).

Anyway, it's been very stable board. No issues at all. I haven't given any serious overclocking task to it as yet. Although I experimented OCing my cpu for short time, just for the heck of it (another one of those sleepless nights). On stock heatsink I could drive my Q6600 upto 3Ghz. But I didn't keep it as temps where going around 60-63 at idle. Anyway, all those kidas I'm holding till I get good heatsink and couple more GT fans. But the board could do it and even though it's nothing record breaking, it didn't gave any trouble.

Main problem with Asus is their (insert F world here) channel partners here. Poor service and horribly long waiting times, are the usual complaints you'll hear about Asus (perticularly Rashi peripherals). Luckily for me, I had to deal with them only twice few years back, for my graphic cards... and I didn't have any trouble getting my stuff repaired/replaced.

I had once considered getting IP35, but I couldn't find it. IP35-E was too less on features and IP35-Pro was bit expensive. IP35 was best option sitting nicely between the two, but absolutely unavailable everywhere. That's the reason why I went in for P5Kc (that and option for both types of memory, DDR2 & DDR3)

Yeah combo memory option is what is pulling me towards that board. But today atleast I guess both Asus P5KC and IP35-PRO are roughly the same, give or take a couple 100.

Great to know you could even overclock with it :) Not the thing am going to the right away, lol but you know how it is, one friggin day get my ass bored and am going to try out something stupid.

Oh and your profile led to your Deviant page and got to say, you have pretty neat stuff up there :hap2:

But yeah thanks now that you have put me under yet another dilemma, given a chance now what would you choose P5KC or IP35 ?

Given a chance now what would you choose P5KC or IP35 ?

I would have answered IP35. Even IP35-Pro, as prices are matching P5KC....

But.... (yeh, that nasty word "but") My answer is again P5Kc. :)

Reasons:

1) Combo memory option gives me good upgrade path without spending a lot to change.

2) Based on my earlier experience with Asus, I wouldn't have any qualms selecting P5Kc.

3) I've sorta mapped my finances for next few months, to some other priorities. So I don't see myself spending on major upgrade at least for another year and half. So, that's where reason one comes in play.

haunted4life said:
Am not talking about IP35-E, talking about the IP35, which is the same build like the IP35-PRO only difference being the former doesnt have 2 Esata ports while the other does. Well I guess its a stupid question anyways, I mean lol when I know its the same build ought to be good enough right ;)

yep, except for some bells and whistles, they are same

iGo said:
I would have answered IP35. Even IP35-Pro, as prices are matching P5KC....
But.... (yeh, that nasty word "but") My answer is again P5Kc. :)

arghhhhhhh :boxing22:

iGo said:
Reasons:
1) Combo memory option gives me good upgrade path without spending a lot to change.

Yup same thing here that and the whole lot of feature set that it gives me for a decent price.

iGo said:
2) Based on my earlier experience with Asus, I wouldn't have any qualms selecting P5Kc.

lol never had one with them either and so far own or bought quite a few :)

:rofl:
I thought the guy said no OCing- so what's with the TRUE and stuff?? :p

Where are you from haunted4life and what hauntsu4life?? :p

A good psu helps in teh long run and the HX620 pwns most of the best. :)
But if no OCing, a Corsair VX450 for 3.7K or less will do the job very well too- though when it comes to psus- i really don't mind the more if you can afford it. :p

MY rig if i were you-
Abit IP35E
Q6600/Q9450 as per choice (is the Q6600 cheaper after the 20th April price cut?? need to consider price-to performance. :))

8800GT 512MB G92- Gigabyte one with zalman cooler or MSI with the heatpipes, or similar (or 2600XT if the 3D gurus recommend that- much cheaper too)
POINT to be NOTED: with the nVidia 8 series cards, esp 8800GTS/GT and above, most people can do without workstation gfx cards- that's what most of my 3D gurus have told me. :)
To know 'why'- Google is your friend. :p- Or maybe some 3D guru can thorw more light on this. :p

2x2GB Transcend DDR2 800 RAM
CM590 if you have the moolah (a less messy case than the CM690 imo) or a Zebronics Bijli with a fast 120mm fan for exhaust or something similar with a fast 120mm fan for exhaust works pretty ok too.
CM690 is u like it and have the moni- but u can very well do with any inexpensive atcx case with good layout and space to attach a 120mm fan for exhaust
The main advantage of the CM590/690 case is that it allows fro usage of several slower exhaqsut fans w/o compromising ventilation. :)
Antec 900 is not a bad case but it's overpriced and needs to be modded a lil to be cabling friendly- which again is not worth the effort+time unless u love modding and have the time. :p

Since no OCing, no need for aftermarket cooler unless you prefer one for lower temps or silence- especially if you have a well-ventilated work space and case.
(I use good coolers even with non OCed rigs for the lower temps, if teh budget permits- silence is bonus. :p)
Even an ultra90 costing around 1.5K locally does the job pretty well- 92m fan will be extra cost.
Thermalright Ultima 90 (Rs.2200/-iirc) should be way more than enough for your kinda operation- again 92 or 120mm fan will be as per choice andcost you extra. .
Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme ain't a requirement for your rig, even if OCed to a safely useable 24x7 OC. :)

Can someone please put down the prices to the above and total up my lower cost but equally good enough rig please??:p

BTW, where are the 3D and VFX gurus of TE- i only see'vij' sir here. :p
Sorry if ioverlooked some guru's post. :ashamed:

H4L-
please use 'SEARCH' (advanced) on TE- you will hopefully come across some older but good threads on the same topic which will throw more light on this 'rig for 3D/animation/blah blah/...' topic. :)

morgoth said:
yep, except for some bells and whistles, they are same

Yeah?? :p

What about the SB??
And those lil bells and whistles do make a significant difference to specific sextion of users. :)
All differences/advantages noted- i would stick to a IP35E for a regular/avg OCer user (unless certain specific requirements demand the IP35Pro) and IP35Pro for a heavy Ocer kinda user. :)

BIKeINSTEIN said:
:rofl:
I thought the guy said no OCing- so what's with the TRUE and stuff?? :p
Since the Q9450 comes as an OEM pack, i need to get a heatsink myself :no:

BIKeINSTEIN said:
Where are you from haunted4life and what hauntsu4life?? :p
Chennai at the moment lol and every stupid shyt dude, trust me hard playin me :p

BIKeINSTEIN said:
A good psu helps in teh long run and the HX620 pwns most of the best. :)
But if no OCing, a Corsair VX450 for 3.7K or less will do the job very well too- though when it comes to psus- i really don't mind the more if you can afford it. :p
Yeah I don't mind the investment as long as it is worth it and since I would have my system underload on for long periods of time, I guess I will live spending the extra 3grand.
COST FOR YOUR RIG
Abit IP35E - 6000 (approx)
Q6600/Q9450 as per choice- 10,300/16,200(OEM PACK)
8800GT 512MB G92- Gigabyte one with zalman cooler or MSI with the heatpipes,-13,000(approx again)
2x2GB Transcend DDR2 800 RAM -3,450 (1,725 * 2)
Zebronics Bijli - 1,400 (last time i heard)
CM690 - 3,800
[/quote]
BIKeINSTEIN said:
The main advantage of the CM590/690 case is that it allows fro usage of several slower exhaqsut fans w/o compromising ventilation. :)
Antec 900 is not a bad case but it's overpriced and needs to be modded a lil to be cabling friendly- which again is not worth the effort+time unless u love modding and have the time. :p

One rig am building at the moment :p so don't mind spending a lil extra time if it is worth it :)

BIKeINSTEIN said:
Since no OCing, no need for aftermarket cooler unless you prefer one for lower temps or silence- especially if you have a well-ventilated work space and case.
(I use good coolers even with non OCed rigs for the lower temps- silence is bonus. :p)

Yeah am not going to be looking for any aftermarket cooling solutions atleast not for now, unless am going for the Q9450 I gotta get a heatsink :p

Thanks a lot for your reply :clap:

Back