PC Peripherals Rig for 3d animation and vfx

I'm not an expert in 3d and animation but, Why not buy an entry level card like the quadro 570. It should be available for under Rs 12000 here.

octave said:
I'm not an expert in 3d and animation but, Why not buy an entry level card like the quadro 570. It should be available for under Rs 12000 here.

Cause I don't see them making any difference than a gaming card if not less.

haunted4life said:
Cause I don't see them making any difference than a gaming card if not less.

Quadro FX570 is a very good stable card... Its as good a card as the previous gen Quadro FX1500 which was a good midrange solution about a year back...

At 175$ its a good deal for someone looking to learn Maya.

Quadros are very stable in opengl workstation apps... If you spend long hours working in Maya you will appreciate it.

The FireGL Maya benchies are totally of chart... Absolutely mind blowing...Pity it has these annoying bugs... But I heard theres an ATI/AMD driver that has solved those issues...

zhopudey said:
no need to spend on a quadro if you are learning. Get it when you start earning.

I thought so too... But he is determined, isnt he....Besides, people here spend 400$ to play, if he wants to spend 175$ to learn then so be it. Also that card will last him for 3 years atleast.

Really appreciate the choice of psu- you are a sensible chap. :D
I should say 'Thanks' to you for making the right choice. :)

Q6600 or Q9450- you don't need a better/aftermarket cooler usually if u gonna run at stock speeds. :p
(and of all the people, i said this- i am definitely not feeling quite ok lately. :O)
But a good cooler also does that lil bit extra just as a good case ventilation does- i personally find it a real pleasure to note low load temps- my Dad calls my rig a thermometer as that's the only thing he usually catches me observing often. :rofl:)

An IP35E was like 5.5k with bill from Phoenix/Rahul_varma- regd dealers on TE.
So you may bargain with the local dealers a bit if picking one uplocally- should surely be less than 6K at least. :)
US purchased one from KMD will be few hundred lower i think. :)

Gigabyte 8800GT 512MB is 11.2K locally- presently the best bangs for the buck in local shops. :p
There is a GO(group order) for the same by Apollyon (a senior and reputed member on TE) in the hot deals section.
So you may also push the dealer for similar rates if possible. :p

And looking at cpu prices- the Q6600 still might be the better price-to-performance quad core chip?? what do the gurus say?? :)
( i personally dont like these oem chips- not only no hsf but only 30days warranty iirc (and the hsf is usually of least concern to me anyways). :()

That 'Delta peripherals' on Ritchie usually gives good rates i think though not sure- get a quote from them and pot here. :)
I think they are pretty reputed and reliable (when it comes after sales service like warranty for RAM, etc..) too. :p
Maybe Chennai members can shed more light on this. :)

vij said:
Quadro FX570 is a very good stable card... Its as good a card as the previous gen Quadro FX1500 which was a good midrange solution about a year back...
At 175$ its a good deal for someone looking to learn Maya.
Quadros are very stable in workstation apps man... If you spend long hours working in Maya you will appreciate it.
Yup need to put in hell lot of hours down in Maya, so need something that helps me there. But I have one more question, how good is this card in handling particles and stuff like dynamics and all. Also would this be a better run with vfx stuff like combustion and all. Am asking cause a previous poster called you a Guru in this respect :)

vij said:
The FireGL Maya benchies are totally of chart... Absolutely mind blowing...Pity it has these annoying bugs... But I heard theres an ATI/AMD driver that has solved those issues...

Never thought I'd go with an ATI card :p lol but if thats what is good, then thats what I shall get, or atleast thats what I think :S

vij said:
I thought so too... But he is determined, isnt he....Besides, people here spend 400$ to play, if he wants to spend 175$ to learn then so be it. Also that card will last him for 3 years atleast.
lol already spent quite a few 400 $ to play :D but now gotta start doing some real work man.

Thanks for all your posts and sorry for being the confused self that I am

BIKeINSTEIN said:
Really appreciate the choice of psu- you are a sensible chap. :D
I should say 'Thanks' to you for making the right choice. :)

Ain't you kind with your words :p

BIKeINSTEIN said:
Q6600 or Q9450- you don't need a better/aftermarket cooler usually if u gonna run at stock speeds. :p
Yeah but with Q9450, I will have to go with a heatsink. since I dont get any stock with the OEM pack. and q9450 retail is not yet out here. :'(

BIKeINSTEIN said:
An IP35E was like 5.5k with bill from Phoenix/Rahul_varma- regd dealers on TE.
So you may bargain with the local dealers a bit if picking one uplocally- should surely be less than 6K at least. :)
Yeah I was talking about IP35 not E one :p my bad.

BIKeINSTEIN said:
Gigabyte 8800GT 512MB is 11.2K locally- presently the best bangs for the buck in local shops. :p

Lol I thought you were asking the price and not suggesting honestly back there :p and I just told you what I heard a while back (about 3 months) Hence the word approx. Prices I was sure about were processor, ram and a few more lol

BIKeINSTEIN said:
And looking at cpu prices- the Q6600 still might be the better price-to-performance quad core chip?? what do the gurus say?? :)
( i personally dont like these oem chips- not only no hsf but only 30days warranty iirc. :()
Yeah I hate OEM too but when something has 12MB cache, 1333 FSB runs a lot cooler and has a dedicated technology for video encoding(also a bit of final rendering, if am not too wrong) that gives you a minimum of 30 % faster performance in those areas, it seems quite hard to resist

I find workstation cards to be very useful in heavy scenes involving multiple references, models with normal maps...using artisan... painteffects... hardware rendering... People mainly use Quadros for stability.

Have you gone through this...

Autodesk Maya 2008 Extension 2

haunted4life said:
Yeah I hate OEM too but when something has 12MB cache, 1333 FSB runs a lot cooler and has a dedicated technology for video encoding(also a bit of final rendering, if am not too wrong) that gives you a minimum of 30 % faster performance in those areas, it seems quite hard to resist

Then why not get a cheap E2160 for 2.5K odd till the retail Q9450 is out here officially- won't be too long i hope- if your professional requirements are not urgent. :ashamed:

Plus there is hardly any difference between US and Indian prices for Intel chips i hink. :)

And prices anyways drop over time since launch when they are highest. :p

Your used chip can fetch you till 2K or nearabouts i think when you upgrade. :ashamed:
This part i am totally not so sure- but i am so scared of buying an oem chip. :(

My gurus tell me it's pretty hard to kill a proccy these days unless you are truly a moron of the highest order. :O

But never say never- freak accidents have killed proccies at stock clocks and has happened even with good users before and one can never be too sure i think. :no:

if you hang arnd for a bit, you might see a bit of a significant drop on the prices of the q6600..

@bikey.. the aftermarket coolers got recommended coz he was talking abt getting a proccy without a hsf. :p read all posts first :p

@haunted.. could you get the OEM warranty clarified for a bit? afaik, OEM chips come with a years warranty compared to the 3 year regular warranty.

Also, in India, the only Abit P35 models available are the IP-35E and the IP-35Pro.

the plain jane IP-35 is not avail. (atleast afaik)

and yeah, like bikey said, Delta is basically the best place to go to in Chennai if you want good deals. you can check out their online pricelist at http://www.deltapage.com for a rough idea of prices. In store prices might work out to be 100-200 bucks cheaper.

BIKeINSTEIN said:
Then why not get a cheap E2160 for 2.5K odd till the retail Q9450 is out here officially- won't be too long i hope- if your professional requirements are not urgent. :ashamed:

Actually I already have made alternatives with my friend hehe :ashamed: I can just get the Q6600 and Next month when she is going to get her processor,She will buy the Q9450 and give it to me in exchange for the Q6600. Ofcourse I will pay the difference if it is huge lol ;)
BIKeINSTEIN said:
This part i am totally not so sure- but i am so scared of buying an oem chip. :(
My gurus tell me it's pretty hard to kill a proccy these days unless you are truly a moron of the highest order. :O
But never say never- freak accidents have killed proccies at stock clocks and has happened even with good users before and one can never be too sure i think. :no:

Nah I totally agree with you, cant ever be too sure with anything. lol and since I am the haunted4life person hehe need to be a little extra cautious there :)

vij said:
I find workstation cards to be very useful in heavy scenes involving multiple references, models with normal maps...using artisan... painteffects... hardware rendering... People mainly use Quadros for stability.

:mad: These people should honestly be sued for doing what they do, make the same architecture based cards but make the whole performance based on the drivers :( but cant do much about it now, can we ? So I guess I will stick to the Quadros :)

Have you gone through this...
Autodesk Maya 2008 Extension 2

Yeah actually I had seen that earlier, but then after many people telling me ATI was doing their job well, I thought it was a business strategy of some sort. But since I guess you believe Maya's word, I better respect that so its a definite no for ATI :no:

HOW DO I EDIT ON HERE, lol I MADE THE LAST POST LOOK LIKE "These people should honestly be sued for doing what they do, make the same architecture based cards but make the whole performance based on the drivers but cant do much about it now, can we ? So I guess I will stick to the Quadros" was said by VIJ hehe :p

sTALKEr said:
if you hang arnd for a bit, you might see a bit of a significant drop on the prices of the q6600..

Yup they going to drop it by roughly 2000 bucks according to intel's statements, bring the Q6700 to the price of current Q6600. All that cause of the launch of the Q9450,Q9550,Q9300 which was supposed to be on from the 20th of this month in the US at least, not sure if it has come in effect yet.

sTALKEr said:
@haunted.. could you get the OEM warranty clarified for a bit? afaik, OEM chips come with a years warranty compared to the 3 year regular warranty.
Also, in India, the only Abit P35 models available are the IP-35E and the IP-35Pro.
the plain jane IP-35 is not avail. (atleast afaik)

Oh didnt know that, I saw a few online places quote for the IP-35, so fell for that hehe

sTALKEr said:
i
and yeah, like bikey said, Delta is basically the best place to go to in Chennai if you want good deals. you can check out their online pricelist at http://www.deltapage.com for a rough idea of prices. In store prices might work out to be 100-200 bucks cheaper.
Well not trying to boast or anything,but I believe I get a pretty good deal as far as atleast Chennai goes, always get good enough prices and much better than Delta, for sure :)

sTALKEr said:
@bikey.. the aftermarket coolers got recommended coz he was talking abt getting a proccy without a hsf. :p read all posts first :p
I always read all posts before i reply- even if the thread is 20 pages long. :bleh:
Coz there is always something new to be learnt. :hap2:
I was focussed on the Q6600 actually, though overlooked the oem bit for the Q9450 initially and grazed the content of some of the posts with remarks like ThermalRight Ultima Extreme. :ashamed:

good for you mate.. do let others also know where you get ur stuff from.. so that they could also benefit.

also.. jus so a thread arnd here... q6700 dropped 50%.. no going for 10.7k odd..

so that should be coming down to q6600 prices sooner than later.

I always read all posts before i reply- even if the thread is 20 pages long.

Coz there is always something new to be learnt.

I was focussed on the Q6600 actually, though overlooked the oem bit for the Q9450 initially and grazed the content of some of the posts with remarks like ThermalRight Ultima Extreme.

sheesh.. even i dint notice that till u pointed it out :p

sTALKEr said:
good for you mate.. do let others also know where you get ur stuff from.. so that they could also benefit.

Its not like one guy gives the best of prices, it just I spend time joblessly and scout the whole market for about a day getting prices from everyone and then keep shortlisting among guys around :)

Back