CPU/Mobo RIP AMD Phenom?

yup me too

athlon, phenom etc all sound something unique in their own ways.

wats this new A-1,A-2,A-3 sounds like indian railway coaches :p

hope they didnt bump into our railway officials for a deal to provide them amd systems for low costs and in return dealt using such cheapo names.:rofl:

ronit said:
yup me too
hope they didnt bump into our railway officials for a deal to provide them amd systems for low costs and in return dealt using such cheapo names.:rofl:
:p, the original names sounds better. Now why do they want to change their processor name...maybe to keep up with intel i series

OMG, those were nice names, Duron, Athlon, Opteron etc..

I have a feeling they are so poor (cash starved) that they cannot afford to pay people to come up with brand names and then do research to see if its cool/legal etc :D haha, poor AMD.

With all the losses if AMD goes down just think what will happen to x86 CPU/mobo prices. I hope nVidia buys AMD (or Dell/HP or someone else) and continues to pump out great CPUs!

I loved those names/titles/platforms AMD have had till day. Heck BullDozer sounds any day better than Sandy Bridge :lol:.

Its sad they are discontinuing it :(

Yeah athlon, phenom, opteran etc sounds way too classy :) but these new names really sounds like railway coaches name:p

Railway Coaches? More like a Communist inspired tag kind of name in which you're a number in the society in a totalarian system.

ronit said:
yup me too

Rofl :rofl:

Does this mean Phenom II, Athlon II, will be considered outdated names or EOL products?

vishalrao said:
OMG, those were nice names, Duron, Athlon, Opteron etc..

I have a feeling they are so poor (cash starved) that they cannot afford to pay people to come up with brand names and then do research to see if its cool/legal etc :D haha, poor AMD.

With all the losses if AMD goes down just think what will happen to x86 CPU/mobo prices. I hope nVidia buys AMD (or Dell/HP or someone else) and continues to pump out great CPUs!
So agree with you on this. Damm they can launch a contest here on TE and all we will want is a genuine top of the line black edition octacore beast in return for as many brand names as they want. AMD you better listen to your customers.

comp@ddict said:
I read over here at en.expreview.com

that AMD plans to transit their Phenom II and Athlon II to 32nm followed by Bulldozer.

Yeah i read this too... :)

I wud love if they will name the new bulldozer processors like this: Bulldozer A-8, Bulldozer A-7, Bulldozer A-6 and so on... :)

instead of just A-8 if they will use Bulldozer A-8 then these new names wud really sound good... :)

It seems that AMD is going to get a rapid manufacturing process transition to 32nm,and it’s predicted that all its products will be based on 32nm manufacturing process in the second quarter of 2012

Currently AMD’s mainstream processors are Athlon II and Phenom II chips in AM3 form-factor,which will be the first batch products to transit to 32nm process,followled by Bulldozer-based processors,Brazos and Llano APU.

Until the 2nd quarter of 2012,AMD’s products will be divided into three parts.About 20% of the processors come from FX series in AM3+ form-factor,and 10% are Brazos in Fusion APU platform mainly targeting portable and low power consumption platform,while 70% come from Llano APU in FM1 form-factor.

http://en.expreview.com/2011/02/12/amd-processors-to-get-process-transition-to-32nm-in-2nd-quarter-of-2012/14593.html

They would probably continue using existing naming convention due to the strong brand identity. We saw Intel do the same with the Pentium branding. There is a strong fan following on Phenom, the only reason to degrade it (Intel "Core") is if they fell that a new naming convention would be better to market the product.

muzux2 said:
Rumour is AMD might use FX naming on bulldozer cpu. BD might have names like FX 2200, FX2400.. Sounds cool :)
reading FX nvidia geforce series of gfx card comes to my mind :p
AMD FX 5200
Nvidia GeForce FX5200 :)

Back