Storage Solutions RMA'ed drive -- recertified or new?

jampack

Adept
Hi
I bought a new Western Digital laptop drive that was DOA, so had to RMA it.

I was promised a new drive by customer service. I received the drive yesterday which came in a sealed pack like new one does but didn't have any importer sticker on it. (My previous RMA'ed drive had one.) Drive has date of 15 Feb,2010 printed on it while the one I sent was April,2010 drive.

I want to know whether drive is recertified or new. Is there any way to know that?

As long as there is no label of "Certified Repaired" drive is like a brand new. I don't think WD has system of certified repaired drives in RMA, Seagate does.

jampack said:
I want to know whether drive is recertified or new. Is there any way to know that?

Hard to say, if its certified then its been to a pro data center and they have fixed it up so it looks brand new to you by making the SMART values look perfect etc.

There is one way to test response time of all sectors, idea being a new drive would have very short latencies compared to older ones. But i've got drives that are many years old but still have very good response times.

Even if you could show its got more slow sectors on average, i doubt they would accept that as a reason to exchange it. No bad sectors or notherwise not working then no RMA or exchange.

Thx for the replies guys.

@blr_p, seems to be a complicated procedure. No other way by appearance or something.

SMART values are of a new drive.

By appearance ?

No, they could clean it up and apply a new sticker.

It seems much more straightforward to declare the drive as certified as virus2win says above. That seagate already does this is good on their part there is no misunderstanding that way. I'm inclined to also agree that given they don't have a setup here for that then the only alternative is to give out a new one.

Your's is good in that case :)

in many cases Wd only ships recertified drives only, but they uses different serial numbers for the same so that we cant distinguish from a new or as a recertified as seagate /samsung does.

but dont worry ,you will get warranty for the remainng years too.

amd999 said:
in many cases Wd only ships recertified drives only, but they uses different serial numbers for the same so that we cant distinguish from a new or as a recertified as seagate /samsung does.

but dont worry ,you will get warranty for the remainng years too.

I am not concerned about the warranty, but the reliablity of the drive.

I paid money for a new drive and not a re-certified one. So a new DOA drive must be replaced by a new one only. Thats why want to clarify regarding this.

new or certified drives are all as new fresh drives, there is no difference in its function/operation or something else.Its the company policy to offer a recertified drive for inwarranty /DOA cases.

in your case your dealer can replace a new drive, as he gets credits for 30days for DOA cases by WD India,and if WD india offered you a new drive via telephonic talk, then as a special case the sent item to you may be a WD new drive.

New drive or Recertified drive type cannot be checked via WD online warranty check.its database is only kept by WD officials only.

amd999 said:
Its the company policy to offer a recertified drive for inwarranty /DOA cases.
You have a source for this statement ?

sibot said:
If its a Refurb, then it would be clearly mentioned on the drive.
Right, like with seagate.

No label, no refurb.

@amd999, you are scaring me.

during my conversation with tech support (not customer service), they said they never send a recertified drive. Only God knows if he was speaking the truth.

Maybe someone can tell if he got a re-certified drive from WD.

One difference from previous RMA'ed drive is that this one had no importer sticker on it.

Nixy said:
Did the seller refuse to exchange it ?

Yea, he said that he will do RMA on my behalf but said he wont be able to exchange it from his side. So it was no fun trying to follow-up so many guys. So, decided to do it myself.

Back