Rock Party Flyer

rPOk

Adept
Jan 24, 2006
I made this flyer in Adobe Illustrator for a rock party at my place next month.

How does it look?

Took 6 hours, am quite happy with the end result :)

Initial colorful version - too gay for a rock party :p

20upljc.png

Blackified version - much dark

2m2jasw.png

Complete black version - color goes well with grunge look

vmdf.png

rPOk

Adept
Jan 24, 2006
Well now that i look at it, yeah it does :p

I wanted it to be all black...whadaya all suggest...i mean it's a rock party flyer and not a fashion party flyer :p

pr0ing

Adept
Sep 4, 2006
the colours remind me of 'That 70's Show'
if you dont go with the all black idea, try using darker shades of the colours you have already used.

rPOk

Adept
Jan 24, 2006
uploaded 2 more versions...comments? any other better color scheme? or should i try shades of black?

Any comments on the overall design?

there's a funky design at back - that took some time...also the boombox art in background

kippu

Skilled
Dec 28, 2006
try a black base with grey letters ..will go with your "black dress code " and throw in a hint of red somewhere

Anticlocked

Adept
Dec 1, 2005
change the font.....dont use font thats extremely unclear for flyers...did one for college with unclear but cool looking fonts.........got belted

rPOk

Adept
Jan 24, 2006
yeah 6 hours...not for the implementation but also thinking the design....the back designs seem easy, but they aren't...and playing with colors/fonts took the most time.

point taken on the pink color and 1900 font.

Powersurge

Casual Gentleman
Adept
Aug 30, 2006
Pune
Just a few tips:

A general thumb rule for design: Do not use more than 2 fonts. (Instead try alternating the same font by using it either in bold/italics etc)
Also, when using Illustrator, you can use the transform tool to change the size and the shape of every character of the font you're using.

Choose a color pallete that you are going to work with. To the design challenged, i suggest you go to COLOURlovers :: Color Trends + Palettes and look for something aesthetically pleasing

Respect empty/blank space. Don't feel the need to fill your blank space with either a background, or a pattern, or text just because it looks "empty"
Just my 2 paise.

rPOk

Adept
Jan 24, 2006
^^ i think most people might not have seen the flyer designs for a rock party.

Go to flickr and search for rock party flyer and you'll come across designs like these - all mish mash, broken fonts, lots of fonts - that's how its supposed to be...not clean, elegant or anything

roman1627

Adept
Mar 18, 2007
The flyer is kewlll...i like the black and white version of it.....by the way the deck in the background of the picture looks super kewll.....but just a suggestion.......the punch line of the Flyer can be colored...to attract direct attention to it.....:D