Router needed

Brendon

Skilled
Ok, my internet at home is screwed ! :(

I need to use my dad's MTNL connection but my computer is in another room so I need wi-fi.

The problem is my net is not working too good and I can't do any research on wi-fi modems.

So please let me know whats a good modem to use. I will also need a wi-fi usb receiver for my PC.

Please help me out guys. I am frustrated with the lack of internet. I need to make a decision and buy a modem tomorrow. I haven't kept pace with technology and I dunno the difference between g/b/n speeds or whatever.

Also will mostly be buying from Prime online. However I believe their service has fallen lately. Any other dealer I should consider ?

Finally I have never used a wi-fi connection before. I hope its not too difficult. :ashamed:

If you've been dealing with Prime then it shouldn't be an issue with service.... I deal with them every now and then and so far haven't had any issues with service.

As for your original query:

Are you looking for any general router or ADSL modem+router. I believe you must have MTNL modem already so you can go for regular router with 1xWAN + 4xLAN ports.

N routers are recommended not only for speed boost, but overall improved range.

Belkin and Linksys both have some good basic N routers with doesn't require lot of tweaking and work well enough out of the box.

Belkins:

Belkin : N Wireless Router

Belkin : N150 Enhanced Wireless Router

Linksys:

Linksys Wireless-N Home Router Wi-Fi

Linksys WAG120N Modem Router Multi-Mode support

Asus:

Asus RT-N12 SuperSpeedN Wireless

Asus RT-N15 SuperSpeedN Wireless

For PC adapter, you can pick up Belkin N USB adapter for about 1600-1800 rs. which works quite good. I've one and using it for my HTPC. : Belkin : N Wireless USB Adapter (ignore the price listed on that page, I picked by at 1850 /- 3 months ago)

Better go for wifi router of which you can update the firmware with Tomato.

You will have lots of functionalities, plus you can have nifty small scripts running in router which can download a hosts file to block ads at router level. Which means you can get better internet speeds, and also you don;t need to update hosts file for the systems which connect to the router.

Hey guys, sorry I did not respond earlier. Got my router only now this Saturday. :p

Was following up with Theitwares for 3 days but got no response from him so I gave up on him. Then tried Mediahome and DVDstoreDelhi (from Chandigarh !). DVDstoredelhi had an ebay listing so I used a 10% off coupon to get the router and the USB receiver I got from Lamingtonroad (Belkin N wireless USB adapter).

Was working for 2 days in b/g mode till I tried using N mode day before yesterday. Thats when it stopped working. :(

Now when I switch it back to b/g mode it still doesn't work. Will have to try some more troubleshooting later on.

stormblast said:
you ca borrow mine for sometime if you want. my wgr614 is lying idle after i got the wndr3700
I am interested to buy a wireless router with multiple LAN connection. Are u selling yours? if yes, let me know the price.

regards,

Anand

Bnglr.

Did any further troubleshooting work? :p

Asus routers do not seem to be user friendly going by the user reviews and hearsay. I think I'll stay away from these and pick up the Netgear one stormy has posted. Costs a bit more but peace of mind nevertheless. :)

iGo said:
If you've been dealing with Prime then it shouldn't be an issue with service.... I deal with them every now and then and so far haven't had any issues with service.

As for your original query:
Are you looking for any general router or ADSL modem+router. I believe you must have MTNL modem already so you can go for regular router with 1xWAN + 4xLAN ports.
N routers are recommended not only for speed boost, but overall improved range.

Belkin and Linksys both have some good basic N routers with doesn't require lot of tweaking and work well enough out of the box.

Belkins:
Belkin : N Wireless Router
Belkin : N150 Enhanced Wireless Router

Linksys:
Linksys Wireless-N Home Router Wi-Fi
Linksys WAG120N Modem Router Multi-Mode support

Asus:
Asus RT-N12 SuperSpeedN Wireless
Asus RT-N15 SuperSpeedN Wireless
For PC adapter, you can pick up Belkin N USB adapter for about 1600-1800 rs. which works quite good. I've one and using it for my HTPC. : Belkin : N Wireless USB Adapter (ignore the price listed on that page, I picked by at 1850 /- 3 months ago)
I have BSNL with ADSL modem cum router.
I need to dump it and take a Wi-fi ADSL modem cum router.
Suggest any Wi-fi ADSL2+ modem cum router ..in 2k budget. Must support b/g/n and wi-fi range should be good 15meters.

Back