Router question ?

Rahul

Skilled
I have just bought a linksys wireless router and want to connect it to my airtel modem ... but just now i have seen that the airtel modem says "router" rather than modem in modem settings ..... does that mean its a router and connects to another modem :-/

if yes how do i connect 2 routers ......

linksys has one connector for connecting modem line and 4 other connectors for connecting PCs thru' lan wire .... first i connected the modem to the modem line connector on the router and tried every setting but internet doesn't work :( ...

then i connected the modem line to one of the 4 lan connector on the router and internet is working .....

is this the correct way to do this ?? is there any otherway to connect 2 routers together ??

Thanks

Rahul

you've bought a linksys wireless router or an access point...??? mentioning the model no. wud have been gr8...

but from what you are describing it seems to be an access point...cos if it would have been a router u simply woudnt have required your airtel router...

ohk so the setup u now have is router+acess point combo...as u have already found out, plugging your airtel router into one of your LAN port is what u need to do...then just enter your "access point's" settings page using 192.168.1.245(this is the default ip for linksys access points iirc) and enable security by either using WEPkey or WPA to prevent unauthorized access by others to use your net...besides, this cud also be done using the setup disk provided...thats it...u are done...:)

Could you answer a few questions please :

1. What's the model number of your Linksys product.

2. Which ISP are you on?

Are you using the Beetel 220BX from Airtel?? And what Linksys router are you using?? It's quite likely that your modem has PPPoE enabled on it. You would need to configure it in Bridge mode.

virtua_pirate said:
you've bought a linksys wireless router or an access point...??? mentioning the model no. wud have been gr8...

but from what you are describing it seems to be an access point...cos if it would have been a router u simply woudnt have required your airtel router...

ohk so the setup u now have is router+acess point combo...as u have already found out, plugging your airtel router into one of your LAN port is what u need to do...then just enter your "access point's" settings page using 192.168.1.245(this is the default ip for linksys access points iirc) and enable security by either using WEPkey or WPA to prevent unauthorized access by others to use your net...besides, this cud also be done using the setup disk provided...thats it...u are done...:)

thanks man ..... the one i have bought is wireless broadband router :)

Anish said:
Could you answer a few questions please :
1. What's the model number of your Linksys product.
2. Which ISP are you on?
The model no is WRT54G i guess :ashamed: ..... actually i am in office and there are 6-7 model on the linksys website with same model ..... will confirm in the evening when i get home .....
I am on aitel broadband .....
=CrAzYG33K= said:
^ He said he had an Airtel Modem ..

So prolly, he's on Airtel..

yup rite ....

Edrill said:
Are you using the Beetel 220BX from Airtel?? And what Linksys router are you using?? It's quite likely that your modem has PPPoE enabled on it. You would need to configure it in Bridge mode.

yeah its the beetal 220BX ..... i found about the bridging thing on net but can't find it anywhere in the router setting page or modem setting :-/

yeah modem is PPPoE enabled and i tried connecting from router using PPPoE with username and password ...... i also tried with DHCP but no use :(

ohk....if your router is wrt54g then it must be having 1 internet rj45 port for cable/dsl modem and 4 lan rj45 switch ports and a power port...connect your airtel router to the internet rj45 port...btw have u tried that setup cd...??? after connecting your airtel router run the setup cd, click setup and follow the instructions...i just followed the steps and my accesspoint worked just fine...

The bridge setting would be on the modem setup page. I don't remember the exact settings on the page, and I can't check it out either since my Beetel died and I got a GLB-502T to replace it. The WRT54G should ideally have it's Internet Connection Type set to PPPoE with your Airtel username and password there.

Rahul, Same connection and same setup here :p

This is how I have set it up here

Airtel Modem >> WIFI
desktop and notebooks on wifi.

Enable DHCP in the airtel modem.
set your Wifi router to Acquire an IP Address Automatically from a DHCP Server.

IP address/Dns server in your network adaptor options set it to obtain automatically.

this works for me ;)

Rahul said:
then i connected the modem line to one of the 4 lan connector on the router and internet is working .....

is this the correct way to do this ?? is there any otherway to connect 2 routers together ??

This is the right way to connect them.

Another way would be to put each router on a seperate subnet and set up a static route.

In any case you do not need the overhead of 2 routers. Put one of them in bridge mode.

Back