Router with usb connection along with firmware support

swapnil0545

Disciple
Hi guyz,
My dlink150 just died 2 days back, I dont remember the time I bought it, but its approx 3 yrs.
I am thinking of buying a new one with usb and open firmware support.
Where I can access hdd through usb and also i can use 3g/4g dongles and download torrents.
I need a list of routers from low to high price not more than 3k.
I was thinking of the below router :
http://www.tp-link.com/lk/products/details/?model=TL-MR3420

Thank you.[DOUBLEPOST=1399023439][/DOUBLEPOST]bump

Last edited:
Open firmware? You mean dd-wrt? I doubt too many tp-link routers have dd-wrt support. Try Asus. I have a rt n12 and it works fine on build 21676.

Maybe you could give the rtn13 or higher a try. Have a look at their support list for devices. You should find what you need and decide accordingly.

Open firmware? You mean dd-wrt? I doubt too many tp-link routers have dd-wrt support. Try Asus. I have a rt n12 and it works fine on build 21676.

Maybe you could give the rtn13 or higher a try. Have a look at their support list for devices. You should find what you need and decide accordingly.

It does not depend on the company it depends on the hardware used, and hardware used can be same in routers of different companies.

Also there is no such thing has "hardly any routers of TP LINK support DDWRT".

Almost all do.

It does not depend on the company it depends on the hardware used, and hardware used can be same in routers of different companies.

Almost all do.

Forgive my ignorance I was under the impression that tp link rioters did not support ddwrt.

yes open firmware I am targetting dd-wrt mostly as it is has more features I think and friendly.
I don't see that rt n12 has a USB jack in it. Which leaves me with only RT-N13U b1.
Do we have anyother routers except this?

Almost all do.
Yes but the thing is I am getting the router TL-MR3420 with v2.2 hardware in the market. v1 is no more manufactured and v2.2 is not there in supported list of dd-wrt.

Yes but the thing is I am getting the router TL-MR3420 with v2.2 hardware in the market. v1 is no more manufactured and v2.2 is not there in supported list of dd-wrt.

Did you actually go to a store and check out the model , because the website shows the newest models , but indian dealers get newer models pretty late.
Also if the hardware revision is recent , it takes a bit of time to get it working with dd-wrt man !

Well you can go for the ASUS ones, but TP Link routers are the ones beng most sold at the moment , due to their good quality,good interface,3 year warranty and hassle free replacement for defects.

Did you actually go to a store and check out the model , because the website shows the newest models , but indian dealers get newer models pretty late.
Also if the hardware revision is recent , it takes a bit of time to get it working with dd-wrt man !

Well you can go for the ASUS ones, but TP Link routers are the ones beng most sold at the moment , due to their good quality,good interface,3 year warranty and hassle free replacement for defects.
Yes prateek I checked it around the stores and I don't really like Asus.
Moreover v2.2 is out from like oct 2013 or so and still the dd-wrt support is unavailable.
So, I was trying to find some other option.Torrent downloading mostly.

Last edited:

Unless it is specifically mentioned, what works for 2.0 will work for v2.2. What I liked about ASUS was that they had a great way to return to stock - basically entering the flashing mode - TP Link sucks at it.

If it does not allow to upgrade the firmware because of incompatibility, the router checks the model number/variant - you should change the hex values in the 2.0 file using a hex editor or some program. Not advised for beginners.

Unless it is specifically mentioned, what works for 2.0 will work for v2.2. What I liked about ASUS was that they had a great way to return to stock - basically entering the flashing mode - TP Link sucks at it.

If it does not allow to upgrade the firmware because of incompatibility, the router checks the model number/variant - you should change the hex values in the 2.0 file using a hex editor or some program. Not advised for beginners.
I am not sure of this but I saw that some of them bricked theirs
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=165911

I am not sure of this but I saw that some of them bricked theirs
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=165911

AFAIK, I could read, you are bang out of luck for two reasons. Firstly, no one has got the correct version checksum which the router checks before upgrading the firmware for DD WRT + firmware might be wrong, bricking the router. Secondly, OpenWRT does not have a compiled firmware for 2.2, its there for 2.1, but not tested completely. Would suggest to give up the idea for now.

Not firmware , we are talking about Hardware revision !That cant be changed, if its not compatible, its not compatible.

SO installing firmware of another version is recommended?

Not firmware , we are talking about Hardware revision !That cant be changed, if its not compatible, its not compatible.

SO installing firmware of another version is recommended?

Um, AFAIK, there is no mention of different hardware from the openwrt wiki. Might be wrong though.

Um, AFAIK, there is no mention of different hardware from the openwrt wiki. Might be wrong though.

Yup, but DDWRT mentions compatibility of all routers by their hardware revision number.

So for every new hardware revision they mention, whether it's compatible, incompatible or a WIP.

So it's just a matter of time.. If someone donates a router to DDWRT, they release the firmware for the new hardware revision quick..
TP Link WR841 v9 has been released. I have v8.4 which has 32 my ram. V9 has 64 my ram. So I am going to send mine for RMA soon.. But then won't be able to use DDWRT on it..

Back