Graphic Cards RPTech offering 4070 in exchange of a 3060 Ti for 20K

I wonder what I'll get for my 3080ti FE RMA, its been sent to taiwan nvidia hq according to rptech. But yea about the 4070, if it'll carry full warranty then I dont see a reason not to get it for 20k
What issue it had. A friend is thinking to RMA his 3080FE. Do they check for issue or just do a replacement.
I'm sitting with a 78k 3070 from Zotac, doubt I will get anything great if it develops issues.
I rmaed my galax 3070 and got back a new 3070 . Guess will try again when it is close to oow.

It is fair considering you did pay 1L+ for your card. Enjoy.

I'm sitting with a 78k 3070 from Zotac, doubt I will get anything great if it develops issues.
I actually only paid 62k, bought the 3080fe from rptech. During mining craze swapped the 3080 for a 3080ti with a guy who wanted a HHR card
What issue it had. A friend is thinking to RMA his 3080FE. Do they check for issue or just do a replacement.

I rmaed my galax 3070 and got back a new 3070 . Guess will try again when it is close to oow.
It was overheating like crazy to 93C even in CS2 which is a cpu intensive game. They do check for everything. They called me many times asking videos and stuff saying they couldn't replicate it. Told them to test on 4k and guess thats when they found it was overheating

Last edited:
It is free :), If I had 3080 I would've gotten a 4080 but since there's no 4080ti they offered super for the 3080ti
4080 and the super are almost identical performance though, hope the 5% cuda core bump makes a difference down the line, enjoy your still massive upgrade

I actually only paid 62k, bought the 3080fe from rptech. During mining craze swapped the 3080 for a 3080ti
From 3080 -> 3080ti -> 4080S, Now that's free raytracing performance upgrade.
One thing to note is that this thread might give some people wrong ideas...
Some might be looking suspiciously at their FE cards...
Also seeing many rma'ed cards on second hand market makes one think, if the seller/distributers/brands would make the rma process more stringent even for legit issues in future.

Last edited:
They will check for everything, test the card for the issue which was claimed by the sender. Only if the issue is replicated, will they send in a replacement card. AFAIK for FE cards, you will always get a brand new replacement, and not repaired or refurbished like most other brands.
Also seeing many rma'ed cards on second hand market makes one think, if the seller/distributes/brands would make the rma process more stringent even for legit issues in future.
FB marketplace is flooded with RMA'd cards. Most of the time, nothing is wrong with the card, they are just sent for RMA with the hope of getting a cleaner card back so that they can claim things like "fresh piece never used for mining blah blah fresh from RMA" and ask for a premium on the selling price.

Last edited:
From 3080 -> 3080ti -> 4080S, Now that's free raytracing performance upgrade.
One thing to note is that this thread might give some people wrong ideas...
Some might be looking suspiciously at their FE cards...
Also seeing many rma'ed cards on second hand market makes one think, if the seller/distributers/brands would make the rma process more stringent even for legit issues in future.
They legit tested it for a week,
every day I had back and forth calls asking about details and how to replicate it. Only when they were able to do so they approved it. So I dont think you can just get a replacement for a working card.

Most brands will send you a new/refurbished card of the same model. It's only RPTech/Nvidia who normally gives you the option of a paid or free upgrade since stocks of FE cards (especially older ones) are limited.

They legit tested it for a week,
every day I had back and forth calls asking about details and how to replicate it. Only when they were able to do so they approved it.
Nothing against this. Its just that luck also plays a part. More so with issue realting to temps. Getting 93c on 4k would at least put some effort on the gpu, could be resolved with thermal repaste by service center (that's standard solution from then). And I commend rp tech somewhat for providing replacement. Even Nvidia doesn't care if your GPU runs hot.

There have been bigger issues that requires replacement of vram, or reballing the core ( symptoms being graphical glitches) that would require sending to Taiwan for repair. This scenario of rptech providing free/paid upgrades is from their own discretion.

Anything relating to thermals is very hard to prove and not many distributors accept them.

Nothing against this. Its just that luck also plays a part. More so with issue realting to temps. Getting 93c on 4k would at least put some effort on the gpu, could be resolved with thermal repaste by service center (that's standard solution from then). And I commend rp tech somewhat for providing replacement. Even Nvidia doesn't care if your GPU runs hot.

There have been bigger issues that requires replacement of vram, or reballing the core ( symptoms being graphical glitches) that would require sending to Taiwan for repair. This scenario of rptech providing free/paid upgrades is from their own discretion.

Anything relating to thermals is very hard to prove and not many distributors accept them.
Issue wasn't high temp. The main issue was the thermal limit is 95C I think, so the pc would crash due to constant high temps. Although yea it coulda been fixed with just a thermal pad swap and nvidia is doing more than required by giving replacement/upgrade.
Thankfully I had screenshots of nvidia overlay showing the high temps and fans running at full speed
Also they did send it to taiwan which is why it took more than a month

Last edited:

FE cards are notoriously hard to take apart and reassemble if you don't know what you're doing (granted things became easier with the 3000 series vs 2000). If you mess up, you void your warranty and face instant rejection. Most of the time with FE cards, because they are a pain to repaste, they just don't bother to take them apart (depends on your luck) and just replace it.

Also, even at 4K, 93C is insanely hot for a 3080Ti FE. If those were his GPU temps, imagine what his hotspot and memory (which run the hottest on these cards) temps would have been. No wonder the card would crash. I play at 4K downsampled on my 1440p monitor with my 3080FE, and temps never cross 65c on the GPU, 75c on hotspot, and 90c on the memory. This is with a PL of +115, +140 on the core, and +750 on the memory.

Last edited:
Issue wasn't high temp. The main issue was the thermal limit is 95C I think, so the pc would crash due to constant high temps. Although yea it coulda been fixed with just a thermal pad swap and nvidia is doing more than required by giving replacement/upgrade.
Thankfully I had screenshots of nvidia overlay showing the high temps and fans running at full speed
Also they did send it to taiwan which is why it took more than a month
NVIDIA is very happy with their financial results it seems

If you mess up, you void your warranty and face instant rejection.
And no one should ever try to repair it when it's in warranty.

Most of the time with FE cards, because they are a pain to repaste, they just don't bother to take apart (depends on your luck) and just replace it.
Repasting is doable (taking care of the ribbon cables ofc) and not that hard, especially for service center repair personnel. Either RP tech don't employ them or there's a policy against it from parent company (Nvidia and their confidentiality and other jargons).

Also, even at 4K, 93C is insanely hot for a 3080Ti FE.
Indeed and very well could be the cold plate doesn't make a proper contact with the die.
90c on the memory
You can lower that by putting a fan on the backplate, if you have space for it.

And no one should ever try to repair it when it's in warranty.

Repasting is doable (taking care of the ribbon cables ofc) and not that hard, especially for service center repair personnel. Either RP tech don't employ them or there's a policy against it from parent company (Nvidia and their confidentiality and other jargons).

Indeed and very well could be the cold plate doesn't make a proper contact with the die.

You can lower that by putting a fan on the backplate, if you have space for it.
No space for a fan on the backplate since I run a D15, making the gap minimal. But 90c is fine since the memory on these cards is rated to operate safely up to 110c. Although I would recommend keeping it below 95c.

I'm assuming the distributors have been asked not to take apart the FE cards as an internal policy.

But 90c is fine since the memory on these cards is rated to operate safely up to 110c.
If its fine than no worry, but if you want to lower it in future, 40-60mm fan would fit (I have the same cooler).
Although I would recommend keeping it below 95c.
Apologies for going more and more OT, Micron rates them around 115c max (later amended to 105c), and even at that temp they won't break rather degrade. A bad Gddr6x chip would function normally until you stress it with memory intensive compution and validate the results (cause it works like some pseudo-ecc memory). This is also the reason why they don't put these in quadros.

Back