FS: Video Card RTX 2080 FE, GTX 1660S

Just completed my build, and unfortunately the RTX 2080 FE has a major issue with the fans, i was asked specifically not to use any sort of oc software or mess with the fan curves by @akhil1280 (he did not want to run the risk of someone messing the card up is what he said), but it seems he was being devious. The card when put under any sort of stress (ghostwire tokyo in my case), produces a horrible sound as soon as the fans ramp up above 50% when the card gets hot. It is so bad that it is audible from outside my room. I have relayed this information to him through whatsapp and have tried contacting him too, but have gotten no response as of yet.
Mods please help me find a reasonable solution @puns @Crazy_Eddy , Ive paid 26.5k in full for a product that cant see a regular use case scenario without creating a massive racket.
I had tested the card locally in @mutant rig, but since @akhil1280 had explicitly asked me not to stress the card unnecessarily we did not push it at all. He can corroborate this if required, i can also put up a video where the issue can more than clearly be heard.
Please respond @akhil1280 and do the right thing. It is obvious to me that this was a known issue to you and hence you were so adamant regarding no oc or fan curve adjustments being made during the testing phase.
Hey, did this fan issue not happen when you initially tested the gpu for 25 minutes using furmark? How high did the temps do during ghostwire? How did Ghostwire Tokyo put more stress on the card than Furmark? I am not doubting you, I am just asking so that I and a lot of other folks here can be more careful when buying GPUs in the future.

Hey, did this fan issue not happen when you initially tested the gpu for 25 minutes using furmark? How high did the temps do during ghostwire? How did Ghostwire Tokyo put more stress on the card than Furmark? I am not doubting you, I am just asking so that I and a lot of other folks here can be more careful when buying GPUs in the future.
Hey, the card was tested in an open rig in an air conditioned room with music playing (you may ask @mutant if you need another person to corroborate the events) during the furmark run and never hit high temps (probably cause it was very cool in the room) and hence the fans never ramped up so I couldn't detect any issues then (maybe the music drowned the sound out).
Once installed on my new rig at home with the side panel closed, in a warmer environment it took only half an hour for the temps to rise and the fans to increase in speed, it's only then that the noise became so apparent (this issue was known to the seller but he chose to keep buyers in the dark when posting this FS thread and warned me not to mess around with any oc software or settings, a request I accepted without question).
Another key difference was the fact that the test rig was lying horizontal on the ground and my rig was kept perpendicular ie in the normal position. This may or may not have had an effect I'm not very sure, I'm just presenting all the information.
Also try playing ghost wire Tokyo at 2560x1440 resolution (I have bought an lg 27gp850 for my new build)with all the graphics turned up and you can see for yourself how gpu intensive the game is.
The major issue in this whole scenario is the sellers lack of transparency regarding the fan noise and his explicit request not to mess with voltage or fan curves without being straightforward regarding exactly why. I dont think anyone in their right mind would drop 26k on an item which is faulty. I advise all buyers to do their due diligence before spending this sort of money.
I am attaching pictures and hope it helps, I cant upload the video cause the file is too large. DM me and I shall happily do so on your personal number through WhatsApp and you should be able to tell for yourself. Thanks and have a good one.

Attachments

• 20220906_001444.jpg
    20220906_001444.jpg
    236.1 KB · Views: 148
  • 20220906_105051.jpg
    20220906_105051.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 145
Last edited:
Hey, the card was tested in an open rig in an air conditioned room with music playing (you may ask @mutant if you need another person to corroborate the events) during the furmark run and never hit high temps (probably cause it was very cool in the room) and hence the fans never ramped up so I couldn't detect any issues then (maybe the music drowned the sound out).
Once installed on my new rig at home with the side panel closed, in a warmer environment it took only half an hour for the temps to rise and the fans to increase in speed, it's only then that the noise became so apparent (this issue was known to the seller but he chose to keep buyers in the dark when posting this FS thread and warned me not to mess around with any oc software or settings, a request I accepted without question).
Another key difference was the fact that the test rig was lying horizontal on the ground and my rig was kept perpendicular ie in the normal position. This may or may not have had an effect I'm not very sure, I'm just presenting all the information.
Also try playing ghost wire Tokyo at 2560x1440 resolution (I have bought an lg 27gp850 for my new build)with all the graphics turned up and you can see for yourself how gpu intensive the game is.
The major issue in this whole scenario is the sellers lack of transparency regarding the fan noise and his explicit request not to mess with voltage or fan curves without being straightforward regarding exactly why. I dont think anyone in their right mind would drop 26k on an item which is faulty. I advise all buyers to do their due diligence before spending this sort of money.
I am attaching pictures and hope it helps, I cant upload the video cause the file is too large. DM me and I shall happily do so on your personal number through WhatsApp and you should be able to tell for yourself. Thanks and have a good one.
Thanks for the clarification.

I had a similar issue with a fan in a Thermaltake PSU. It made noise only in horizontal position. The noise goes away when kept vertical. Check if that's the case. Just putting it here so buyers can keep such issues in mind. Anyways hoping this issue gets resolved for you. Good luck

I had a similar issue with a fan in a Thermaltake PSU. It made noise only in horizontal position. The noise goes away when kept vertical. Check if that's the case. Just putting it here so buyers can keep such issues in mind. Anyways hoping this issue gets resolved for you. Good luck
I have sent the card back to the seller, he has refunded me 15k and shall reimburse the balance 11.1k upon receiving the card. Thanks for the input.

the card has been delivered back to the seller at 1.50pm @akhil1280 , yet to hear from him.
awaiting the balance 11.1k to be credited.
lets hope this last part is smooth sailing.
Seller has sent me a transaction screenshot, but the amount is yet to hit my bank account
Please confirm with your bank @akhil1280 and update.
It should have reflected on my statement by now.

Last edited:
the card has been delivered back to the seller at 1.50pm @akhil1280 , yet to hear from him.
awaiting the balance 11.1k to be credited.
lets hope this last part is smooth sailing.
Seller has sent me a transaction screenshot, but the amount is yet to hit my bank account
Please confirm with your bank @akhil1280 and update.
It should have reflected on my statement by now.
Check whether it is IMPS or NEFT.

Sometimes NEFT takes a little while before reflecting in your account (typically one or two hours). IMPS / UPI transfer are done instantly.

Check whether it is IMPS or NEFT.

Sometimes NEFT takes a little while before reflecting in your account (typically one or two hours). IMPS / UPI transfer are done instantly.
It's a UPI transfer, seems to have been some f*** up, let's hope it sorts itself out by evening, I shall update as soon as the amount is reflected on my account. Stressful times till then in all honesty.
Hey all,
The balance amount of 11100 has been received with thanks.
I wish to thank all the members of the TE community who've been kind enough to reach out and show their support in so many different ways. Lots of love to the community !
Also last but not least, I would like to extend my thanks to the mods on this forum, @puns and @Crazy_Eddy .
Thank you guys so so much.

Last edited:
GPU received, tested, as described. Tearing the Turing FEs down to access the fans is not for the faint of heart.
props to you for salvaging this GPU though , love it when people fix used/broken stuff so it doesn't end up in some landfill, with proper TLC this card will last you long enough.

props to you for salvaging this GPU though , love it when people fix used/broken stuff so it doesn't end up in some landfill, with proper TLC this card will last you long enough.
The GPU is in far from landfill condition mate :) But yes, pretty as it is, I was almost not prepared for the amount of work required to get this back up to spec.

20221021_230434.jpg

20221024_163555.jpg

@akhil1280 feedback left, please reciprocate.

Last edited:
Back