RTX 3080 on APC UPS 1100VA

Have you tried undervolting the gpu and cpu? that UPS can easily run a 3080.
Not really, am a noob when it comes to overclocking undervolting etc, don’t want to break anything in process

Would rather buy a 1500va than do something n mess something up

Yes am same guy lol

We live in a small world

And thanks for the heads up, i will change the pics asap
Pics have been updated per rules of the forum
Does the UPS also turn off abruptly when power goes off or is it just beeping?
because beeping is pretty normal behavior for a UPS when it is on battery power

what is the power draw of your current PC?
Because your UPS has a power factor of 0.6 so 1100 VA roughly translates to power output of 660 Watts

Also one thing to know about Ampere ie RTX 3000 series is that they were made on samsung node and had issues with very high transient spike where power draw will double or triple for few microseconds before going normal and that is why we saw such monstrous cooler design ever since, this also affected lots of low tier PSU as well as SFF PSUs as they have smaller capacitors and cannot deal with such transient spikes so systems would shut down.

you can search online for RTX3080 PC shutdown and you will see lots of posts regarding that in which PSU is being the culprit, anyways coming back to the topic a RTX 3080 can suck down upto 700-900 watts for a few microseconds and that is enough to shut the PC down in general & especially when running on battery or cause other issues in which case your option is to go for 1800VA or 2000VA UPS.

Those are kinda expensive , other option would be is to connect your PC outlet to your home inverter(assuming you live in Delhi NCR you might have that) that will solve all your issues plus it would be really cost effective.

more on the concept of transient spikes

Last edited:
Does the UPS also turn off abruptly when power goes off or is it just beeping?
because beeping is pretty normal behavior for a UPS when it is on battery power

what is the power draw of your current PC?
Because your UPS has a power factor of 0.6 so 1100 VA roughly translates to power output of 660 Watts

Also one thing to know about Ampere ie RTX 3000 series is that they were made on samsung node and had issues with very high transient spike where power draw will double or triple for few microseconds before going normal and that is why we saw such monstrous cooler design ever since, this also affected lots of low tier PSU as well as SFF PSUs as they have smaller capacitors and cannot deal with such transient spikes so systems would shut down.

you can search online for RTX3080 PC shutdown and you will see lots of posts regarding that in which PSU is being the culprit, anyways coming back to the topic a RTX 3080 can suck down upto 700-900 watts for a few microseconds and that is enough to shut the PC down in general & especially when running on battery or cause other issues in which case your option is to go for 1800VA or 2000VA UPS.

Those are kinda expensive , other option would be is to connect your PC outlet to your home inverter(assuming you live in Delhi NCR you might have that) that will solve all your issues plus it would be really cost effective.

more on the concept of transient spikes

Just beeps when i start any game at high settings and stays that way, nothing to do with backup as such

System doesnt shut down at all, like i told playing games it beeps, without games its absolutely fine

I dont have an inverter but a generator which takes approx 30 seconds to kick in, so backup isnt a priority for me, more so, just the 30 seconds till generator kicks in
I dont think there is spike but more like 650W is too much for 3080ti + 7700x at high settings in any game, add on 7 ARGB fans, and other peripherals and 34" G5 monitor

I had the same issue as you are describing with the same UPS model
When contacted to APC they sent a service guy and he changed the entire circuit board inside the ups but this still happened
The load when measured was 500w which is below the limit of ups but apparently APC has a stupid feature to alert user that load is nearing the limit EVEN IF WE ARE ON MAINS POWER

This is the most stupid feature i heard and then i sold that ups and living happily with a cyberpower one now :)

OT:
Did you try disabling the battery saver mode? May or may not help.
In any case your UPS sizing is not appropriate.

I could suggest you Microtek Legend 1600.

Last edited:
OT:
Did you try disabling the battery saver mode? May or may not help.
In any case your UPS sizing is not appropriate.

I could suggest you Microtek Legend 1600.
No i do i didnt that?

how can i do that btw

I had the same issue as you are describing with the same UPS model
When contacted to APC they sent a service guy and he changed the entire circuit board inside the ups but this still happened
The load when measured was 500w which is below the limit of ups but apparently APC has a stupid feature to alert user that load is nearing the limit EVEN IF WE ARE ON MAINS POWER

This is the most stupid feature i heard and then i sold that ups and living happily with a cyberpower one now :)
Which one link me, was leaning towards artis 1500VA but if cybertek feedback is good dont mind buying that

Last edited:
Cyberpower ut2200e
Only needs battery change in interval of 1.5-2 years depending on load
It has horrible ratings on amazon though, but since you are confident will make a choice between artis and this, this one seems has more wattage vs artis so might as well buy this

No i do i didnt that?

how can i do that btw
1710863452744.png

Press this and there should be no light on this button.

i have this in 600va and 1100 va. it beeps a lot when voltage fluctuates and fan keeps running for long durations and kinda annoying. but i like the ups and i am planning to get one more(1100VA) for tv, home theatre and ps5 used together.

Just beeps when i start any game at high settings and stays that way, nothing to do with backup as such

System doesnt shut down at all, like i told playing games it beeps, without games its absolutely fine

I dont have an inverter but a generator which takes approx 30 seconds to kick in, so backup isnt a priority for me, more so, just the 30 seconds till generator kicks in
I dont think there is spike but more like 650W is too much for 3080ti + 7700x at high settings in any game, add on 7 ARGB fans, and other peripherals and 34" G5 monitor
if its just beeping then that does appear to be normal behavior because all the UPS i have used had the same behavior , i think in APC UPS you can change the settings (in some models) to cap the beeping.
you will get beeping from other UPS as well , if noise is your concern then look for something which does not beep or have a mode to turn off the audible warning.

having said that a rtx3080 is capable of pulling upto 600-700 watts for few microseconds( not sustained load), you can watch the video to understand how this works.

I think its already off imo
View attachment 193117

Press this and there should be no light on this button.
i have this in 600va and 1100 va. it beeps a lot when voltage fluctuates and fan keeps running for long durations and kinda annoying. but i like the ups and i am planning to get one more(1100VA) for tv, home theatre and ps5 used together.
whats ur config?
if its just beeping then that does appear to be normal behavior because all the UPS i have used had the same behavior , i think in APC UPS you can change the settings (in some models) to cap the beeping.
you will get beeping from other UPS as well , if noise is your concern then look for something which does not beep or have a mode to turn off the audible warning.

having said that a rtx3080 is capable of pulling upto 600-700 watts for few microseconds( not sustained load), you can watch the video to understand how this works.
I just calculated the load and it touched 700W easy during gaming coz Monitor and speaker are also plugged, tried unplugging monitor and speaker even then it beeps due to load which am guessing is 600+ with just the PC connected

so mostly have to replace this either ways, like @GeeBee007 mentioned, its a safety feature when it comes close to 500W or something, so there is that

will be getting the cyberpower one

whats ur config?
I'm well within limits. 12400F + 3070 on 750W gold PSU. I measured my peak usage and it's ~400W.
its a safety feature when it comes close to 500W or something, so there is that
Yes and I read somewhere the battery saver shifts that to around 550W. You'll probably pass that with the config you have.
A temporary workaround would be to power limit your GPU to around 70%. You'll lose performance there though.

It's easy to do it by using MSI after burner. Just change the power limit slider as needed.

I'm well within limits. 12400F + 3070 on 750W gold PSU. I measured my peak usage and it's ~400W.

Yes and I read somewhere the battery saver shifts that to around 550W. You'll probably pass that with the config you have.
A temporary workaround would be to power limit your GPU to around 70%. You'll lose performance there though.

It's easy to do it by using MSI after burner. Just change the power limit slider as needed.
Will check it tomorrow, when i wake up, thanks for the tip

Using 3080ti with APC 1100va, on high load used to get beeping with red light. Undervolting gpu to 85-90% helped but I do occassionally get beeps. Might be a good idea to upgrade ups

Back