Rumored details for Android 3.0 aka Gingerbread

gforce

Adept
Highlights:
* Expected to arrive in Q4 2010
* Requires a 1GHz processor and 512MB RAM (SE X10 owners are out I guess!)
* Will introduce support for screen resolutions of up to 1280x760 (HVGA owners are going to be a minority from here on)
* Expected to be introduced on many tablet style devices
* A major overhaul of the stock UI expected to bring it in line with advanced UIs like HTC Sense
* Froyo 2.2 will be relegated to lower end devices. Flagship phones will use 3.0 and beyond.

SOURCE

Froyo is barely out the door, but attention is already turning to the next Android version - 3.0 Gingerbread. It will impose minimum hardware requirements, the UI is getting overhauled and Android is splitting into two.

Android 3.0 Gingerbread, says Eldar Murtazin, will be for high-end devices only. A 1GHz CPU and 512MB RAM at minimum, plus a display over 3.5" inches in diagonal. Android 2.1 Eclair/2.2 Froyo will remain and run on mid-range and low-end phones.

This will officially lead to the Android platform splitting into two. With so many complaints about platform segmentation now, we can only imagine what it will be when this happens.

Anyway, Android 3.0 Gingerbread will add support for a new resolution - 1280x760 (just over 720p) for screens 4" and bigger (the iPad has a 4:3 1024x768 screen). This should mostly benefit Android-based tablets, which aren't been doing so hot right now.

The new version will also bring the end to 3rd-party UIs - still, HTC, Samsung, Motorola and the rest will be able to keep their mods for the 2.1/2.2 branch of Android. The new UI for Android 3.0 Gingerbread is said to take its cue from the Gallery App on the Nexus One - the feel, the transitions and so on.

Android 3.0 Gingerbread is expected in mid October - and we expect the first phone to get it to be the Nexus One (it meets the requirements). Unless the oft rumored Nexus Two beats it to the punch.

And as always unofficial ports will become available for current phones. But let's not put the cart before the horse - all this is still rumors, there's no official word from Google yet.

Android 3.0 Gingerbread detailed, juicy specs confirmed - GSMArena.com news

So Ginger Bread is Rich man's Android :(

gforce said:
Has there ever been a poor man's Android?

The i5700 is like what, 13Kish? That's certainly not "poor" territory.

Well not everyone can afford a 30k phone. 15k phone is manageable for some. Just in relative terms :)

I honestly think these are BS made up spec.

There is no way a company like google will make such rough non technical specifications for their OS.

There are different processors, different architectures out there. Or do you really think google would name such specifications.

TI OMAP at 720Mhz is more powerful than Snapdragon at 1Ghz. So does it mean ARM Cortex A8 based chip based phones wont quality just because they are not 1Ghz in freq. I dont think so.

RAM and ROM are understandable, but not the processor speed.

Gingerbread, the next level of the Android OS, will show up on time for the Christmas shopping but details on it have already started to surface one by one.

However, yesterday's rumors of Gingerbread's requirements are actually not completely true. Those are in fact recommended, not minimum.

The Android 3.0 Gingerbread was first said to require some quite powerful hardware to be built in the devices it is going to run on but today the same source, Eldar Murtazin (Mobile-review.com's editor in-chief), tweeted the following clarification:

"Yesterday have a very good conversation and some clarifications. 1 Ghz, 512 Mb etc its not minimal requirments but recommended one"

So, the new Android version will not lead to the platform splitting so all Android fans can now calm down. However, there is no word on the rest of the rumored details so we presume 3rd-party UIs won't be welcome anymore after all.

Along with smartphones, tablets should also be invited to the Gingerbread party since the Android v3.0 will feature support for a new 1280 x 760 pixel resolution and displays measuring 4 or more inches.

More details on the Android 3.0 a.k.a. Gingerbread requirements - GSMArena.com news

Excerpt from Eldar's podcast:

Talking about Android 3, I have one more remark. There will be cheap Android phones, there will be a lot of them, phones that will cost $200, EUR200

Q. With Gingerbread?

No. Not Gingerbread, not 3. But 2.1/2.2. For all practical purposes we will get the split – light/old hardware, cheap phones – but old Android. Want to get maximum multimedia experience: Divx playback out of the box, support for heavy formats, lossless mp3 codecs – you have to buy powerful hardware.

Q. And the upgrades – will they be free, or paid?

Upgrades will be free. The thing is, that not everyone will be upgraded. Droid X could be upgraded, Samsung Galaxy S… But not everyone

I want to what is the reason for Google to update the OS so rapidly.I have a Spica it has just got 2.1,do not know if it could get the 2.2 and now Google is talking about 3.0.

Metalspree said:
I want to what is the reason for Google to update the OS so rapidly.I have a Spica it has just got 2.1,do not know if it could get the 2.2 and now Google is talking about 3.0.
Exactly my Point..... Why doesn't Google slow down a bit?? I mean, it could bundle updates & keep rolling whole packages like Android 1 then 2 then 3 etc..... Why use decimals & increase no of Updates??? :mad:

It's like buying Windows 7 & then 4 months later u have Windows 7.5 & 6-8 months later u have Windows 7.9 then Windows 8 & so on...... Complete crap!!! :mad:

^^ why is that crap?

The 2.2 made significant difference in performance.

2.1 before that brought new features and eye candy.

And its not like apps made for 2.1/2.2 wont run on 1.5 or 1.6.

Google has made it very clear that Gingerbread will bring significant changes and will bring more flexibility for hardware manufacturers. This will be followed by significant cool down period and there wont be any new significant updates soon after Gingerbread. If any, will be upgraded builds with some patches.

This fast development had made Android scene more exciting. Would you rather have more updates or no updates?

This fast development has meant the competition had to play catchup and some are even left far behind in terms of development.

Actually there have been only 2 significant upgrades to Android. 1.5/6 to 2.0/1 and then to 2.2 (2.2 was mainly focused on performance ).

Now Gingerbread is suppose to improve on performance and bring new UI.

So 3 major updates in 2 years is not too much to be honest.

Shripad said:
Actually there have been only 2 significant upgrades to Android. 1.5/6 to 2.0/1 and then to 2.2 (2.2 was mainly focused on performance ).
Agreed. It is called progress.

But there were great differences between 1.0 and 1.5 too. Though at 1.0 time, Android devices were not so popular. Maybe completely missing from Indian scene.

Back