Storage Solutions Running out of space on C Drive

prince980

Disciple
I hope this is the right section to post my query...

I'm running out of space on my c drive(250 MB free of 17.5 GB) ..i should have allocated more space:(
i have a partition ( E drive full 50 Gb free). I was wondering if i could shrink this drive and use the unallocated space for C drive using disk management tool.
I shrunk E drive by 10 Gb but couldn't add the unallocated 10Gb to c drive.Is this possible? please help

probably not so possible straight forward..

assuming the E drive is part of the Extended logical partition... and C is a primary partition.

try to clear a partition closer to C drive. and then maybe it would be possible via acronis or similar disk management tools.

also...

make sure you have a backup of your OS on some other media just incase you screw up..which is highly possible while dealing with OS drive parameters..

Alternatively... uninstall all programs in C drive and install then in the Free drive...

^ why should the OP buy a new HDD? In the first post, the OP has clearly mentioned that he has a partition with 50GB of free space.

BTW, @OP,

I suggest you not to use any of those disk management tools. Once I'd tried to do something similar and ended up screwing everything.

Why don't you clear up some space by deleting restore points and cleaning up using CCleaner etc. That could give you a bit of extra space.

And yes, you could always remove your installed programs or movies/photos on desktop etc and shove them all into the free partition.

your best workable bet is this......

right click my documents > go to properties > over there u will find the path where all your stuff is saved, currently in C: > change it to a path in D: > and move all your stuff to the D: that should free up some space.

Also apart from that, go to control panel > add remove programs > see the programs / apps > games thats taking up a lot of space > UNINSTALL them > Reinstall them and this time when asked for path > point them to D:\

this will help u relocate your stuff without any hassles and also free up considerable amount of space.

i have a long solution:

install acronis true image. make a bootable rescue media from the software with all tools included. after burning the image to a cd, make a disk image of C on the E drive which is free i suppose.

next, boot from the acronis bootable disk (or windows disk) and delete the c drive and the extra drive you made. combine them to make a new formatted drive. then you can restore the disk image you made using acronis on the new space now. while restoring disk image make it just restore to the full volume else it might create the same 17gb

In acronis help file-

You can resize and relocate a partition by dragging it or its borders with a mouse or by entering corresponding values into the appropriate fields.Using this feature, you can redistribute the disk space between partitions being restored. In this case, you will have to restore the partition to be reduced first.

The easiest tool is "Partition Magic". I am not sure about the latest version but you can check out on google and download it. I had faced the same problem that you have, but I had allocated only 10gb for the OS drive :). So my drive was full soon after I installed all my programs. And then I used Partition magic and allocated another 10gb to that drive(though there are some conditions involved in allocating this space). But please be very sure before using all such tools for performing operations on your hard drive because any wrong step might cost you your data!

Back