Windows Ryzen based system will not boot with fTPM enabled/ Dead (looks like) MBP

Hi all,

Issue 1

I encountered a strange issue which arose suddenly and made itself known when my PC refused to boot. There were no beeps from the mobo speaker either. I disconnected power, cleared CMOS to reset BIOS settings and was able to boot into the BIOS. I was unsure of the issue at this point and thought it was RAM or board-related. Tinkering extensively with RAM frequencies and voltages (the thinking at this point was that enabling XMP was the culprit/ my previous settings were unsustainable/ I had shitty RAM), running MemTest multiple times (Got a PASS each time), and toggling other options in the BIOS to zero down on what was causing the boot failure, I discovered that enabling fTPM was leading to the failure each time! It wasn't the CPU or RAM frequency/voltage/timings. I got successful boots whenever I left the fTPM option disabled (which is the default option). I do not know why this is happening and haven't discovered definitive solutions to this online (though this issue has been documented by others). Prior to the boot failure yesterday, the fTPM option was enabled and my system booted and worked just fine. I also play Valorant which I believe requires this option to be enabled.

Has anybody experienced something similar? Does anybody have a solution? Will taking the RMA route even provide a fix to this?

SOLVED

Issue 2

Just my luck, I guess. A concurrent issue is that my MBP (early 2015) appears to be dead. Trying to boot results in 3 beeps followed by a 5 second pause and repeat (faulty RAM looks like). Resetting the SMC and NVRAM hasn't fixed it. This is my work machine and I was using Windows 10 via Boot Camp (installed on a WD SN550 which I was using with an NVME adapter). I will take the laptop to a technician to get it checked; however, is booting into Windows by using installing the SSD into another (Windows) device an option at all? I'm not worried about the laptop which has had a long life, I'm more worried about my work data (not all of which is backed up because I'm a lazy idiot). There is of course a separate partition with OSX on it.

Expert recommendations needed. I also don't want to get fleeced by a technician and left at square one (only poorer).

SOLVED

Thank you all.

Last edited:
Issue 1 looks like a BIOS issue frankly.

You missed critical details such as motherboard make/model and BIOS revision and what CPU you're using.
Also ValoRAT doesn't require TPM to run normally only if you're using windows 11 which itself requires TPM 2.0 as a system requirement (unless manually bypassed).

Anyways, reset your CMOS and update to latest BIOS and then reset CMOS again hopefully you should be fine. I'm also using fTPM enabled with MSI B450M mortar max and 2700X on win10, works fine.

As for Issue 2, no idea since I have 0 experience with Apple hardware.

Issue 1 looks like a BIOS issue frankly.

You missed critical details such as motherboard make/model and BIOS revision and what CPU you're using.
Also ValoRAT doesn't require TPM to run normally only if you're using windows 11 which itself requires TPM 2.0 as a system requirement (unless manually bypassed).

Anyways, reset your CMOS and update to latest BIOS and then reset CMOS again hopefully you should be fine. I'm also using fTPM enabled with MSI B450M mortar max and 2700X on win10, works fine.

As for Issue 2, no idea since I have 0 experience with Apple hardware.
Thank you for responding. I have an Aorus B450i (BIOS version F61) paired with a 5600G. I though I was on the latest version, but it looks like there have been updates since and the issue will likely be resolved by the AGESA ComboV2 1.2.0.5 update with further compatibility, stability, and performance fixes provided by AMD AGESA V2 1.2.0.7. I also feel like a blooming idiot now after wasting so much time and creating this post..

Back