Monitors S-IPS or TN?

Hi friends.

I need a suggestion.

I am planning to buy a new LCD monitor from Dell ( not from any other brand)

I have got these things in my mind.

1)20" Dell 2008WFP...S-IPS Panel

2)19" Dell 198WFP.....TN Panel

3)22" Dell 228WFP.....TN Panel(most probably)

My main intention is to play games at native resolution(regardless of size of the monitor) & watch movies

I am more inclined towards 20" Dell 2008WFP ..since its a S-IPS panel.

Which one should i go for?

Thanks in advance..:)

Dell 2008WFP is not an S-IPS Panel, Its also a TN Panel. Only 2007WFP is S-IPS. Thats why its still costlier thant he newer 2008WFP.

After having worked with both, my vote would go to S-IPS for graphics and text.

For games, the TN is as good as the S-IPS since the potential to smear is less, and the viewing angle doesn't matter since you're a foot away from the screen.

For movies, it's a toss-up. One offers less smearing, and the other offers better viewing angles. Which do you need?

Hello frnds,

My dilemma is almost the same. I am looking for a 20"-22" LCD display (by any good brand like Dell, ViewSonic, Acer, etc.) particularly to watch movies.

Pls. advise me as to which kind of panel should I go for, TN or IPS? And can anyone point me to a list of which models (of ViewSonic & Acer) have which particular panel. Similar list of all displays with the panels they use is available for Dell displays on wikipedia (Dell monitors - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

As I mentioned my sole intention is to watch movies (not even day to day PC work, nor gaming).

Thanks in advance for the advice.

--
ashish

PS: Any info about authentic vendors in Noida, UP will be much appreciated.

lolzzz.why should he fund it ?? by da way he just adviced you to buy a 26 " LCD TV...and i think he is correct ..if your only purpose of LCD is to watch movies u should get a TV..of 26 " or else spend on a good non-tn panel monitor..

IMO go for a tv..maybe sony bravia 26" or else Samsung Bordeaux 26 " if your on a tight budget..i guess it should be around 26k or even lesser.

and before you ask me to fund it..let me tell if u don have da moolah ..and want to spend only 10-15 k..go for any of the good TN-panel 22 incher from DELL.

but i think bigger screen and a LCD tv will be better for movies..

faheem_m said:
lolzzz.why should he fund it ?? by da way he just adived you to buy a 26 " LCD TV...and i think he is correct ..if your only purpose of LCD is to watch movies u should get a TV..of 26 " or else spend on a good non-tn panel monitor..

IMO go for a tv..maybe sony bravia 26" or else Samsung Bordeaux 26 " if your on a tight budget..i guess it should be around 26k or even lesser.
and before you ask me to fund it..let me tell if u don have da moolah ..and want to spend only 10-15 k..go for any of the good TN-panel 22 incher from DELL.
but i think bigger screen and a LCD tv will be better for movies..

chill man!

If I had loads of money I wouldn't have been so cautious to spend it as to asking advice! TV advice is obvious, but if I wanted to buy a TV I wouldn't have asked for the advise! So in short, I won't buy a TV--neither do I want to know which 'model' or size or brand to go for. I need to essentially know which 'panel' to go for.

blackfog said:
chill man!

If I had loads of money I wouldn't have been so cautious to spend it as to asking advice! TV advice is obvious, but if I wanted to buy a TV I wouldn't have asked for the advise! So in short, I won't buy a TV--neither do I want to know which 'model' or size or brand to go for. I need to essentially know which 'panel' to go for.

TN panels and you are made for each other :p

Jokes apart, new-age TN panels like Dell E228WFP are pretty good when calibrated. Go for it!

Though, if my purpose was movies only, I would have spent a bit more and got a TV.

Larger screen and better picture quality is worth 14k more.

Besides, I suggested a TV coz I saw you enquiring abt S-IPS panels which dont come cheap.

vij said:
TN panels and you are made for each other :p

Jokes apart, new-age TN panels like Dell E228WFP are pretty good when calibrated well. Go for it!

:p

Yaar if TN are good then I don't mind them since it'll be cheaper. But as I read elsewhere about TN being not at all good, hence I've been very wary of their image quality. (ref. wikipedia and TFT Technology - Personal Computer World)

Hence the reason for asking this advice. Besides I work in a microelectronics company which is one of the global leaders in 3rd generation digital display technologies. But asking people here gives only hi-end technological details instead of an idea of the actual look and feel of the whole product.

Back