Sachin Tendulkar should retire opines Ian Chappel

I think he is on the road of new records -
1. Most out at ZERO.
2. Most out at ONE.
3. Most balls faced and out without a run.
etc.

He is the greatest batsman. Yes, greatest. But its his end of road....

yes but he is also the only player to have played the max no. of matches in world so the above mentioned records are bound to happen, agreed he aint in form at the moment but as someone qouted that even at his 1/3rd he is better than many batsmen..

also if he aint good then why does the indian innings revolove around him in many of the matches

Hotstuff said:
if he aint good then why does the indian innings revolove around him in many of the matches

We are talking about last 2-3 yrs, calculate how many matches in this span Indian innings revolve around him? My memory is weak:(

Sachin must choose his Role in Indian Cricket except Batsman. There is various things he can do for Indian Cricket - but yes he will not get As Much Money as he use to get when Playing for India.

AMD4Life said:
Sachin has vacated his opening slot for the team (a youngster named Uthappa)..Why blame him?

And seriously, I'm genuinely interested in knowing names of some "youngsters" who you think are accomplished enough to remove Sachin from the team?

Anyone who is playing better in that particular season or series is good enough to replace any other non form player. By saying "Anyone" I mean anybody who is playing better cricket at that time whether its an youngster or a senior should replace the weak link whether Sachin or Sehwag. A team or a player should be picked based on its or his current form and not class. There is a saying "Form is temporary but class is permanent" to which i have always thought, is it alright for India to loose just coz couple of players whose class was great were picked and had no form? No comparisons, but the great teams in past and future was and will always be great based on the current form of the players and not based on the past class. When the players know that they dont have it in themselves to prove it in a particular match, they should sit down or they should be made to sit down so that the guys who are in form are given a chance to perform in that series or season. The heavy batting records and numbers means squat if ppl cant perform. India doesn't need those players with heavy numbers. India needs players who can win. And the fact is, none of the team players currently have that consistency

It's nice thinking that most sport stars will end their careers with a bang, but such is rarely the case. It's usually poor performance that dictates when you retire.

Why doesnt any one of those wise guys say the same to Saurav...?? I mean..ok..he had his time..its time to move on...if he had to prove tht he still has it in him (more for his ego than anything else), he did so in the opening matches of WC (albiet not exactly the way he's known to do..he was sloowww..) ..not to forget, falter n fall when he was needed the most (against SL)... if its the money, he already has plenty... time to say goodbye, dada..

saurav showed a lot more commitment and heart more than the others in the team and he had the zeal to make the comeback into the team, sadly i cannot say the same about others

kippu said:
saurav showed a lot more commitment and heart more than the others in the team and he had the zeal to make the comeback into the team, sadly i cannot say the same about others

I think,every player shows the zeal only to make a comeback to the team..(afterall thts how they make money and earn fame..;) ) ..but what they do from there on makes all the difference...

In case of Saurav Ganguly,tht commitment n heart was only to silence critics and satisfy his ego.. where was all the commitment when he recklessly lofted the ball for an easy catch in the crucial match against SL...he shud have been more cautious after all the debacle he had been into..it was a once in a lifetime chance to silence critics..and prove his credibility.. It simply adds more weight to what Mark Waugh said, " Subcontinent players play for individual records and not the team" ...

Stick said:
VVS Laxman (Batsman), Mohd. Kaif, Suresh Raina (both are good with bat and field).
And point being?
Pls don't tell me that you think these guys are better than Sachin either in class or in current form..:no:

Ck Nish said:
It's nice thinking that most sport stars will end their careers with a bang, but such is rarely the case. It's usually poor performance that dictates when you retire.

Only time will tell mate! :cool2:

Private Ryan said:
In case of Saurav Ganguly,tht commitment n heart was only to silence critics and satisfy his ego.. .
the point is he had the thing to put his chin up and comeback ...that is commendable for watever reason it is

And wghatever the reason for ganguly's good performance,it is ultimately benifits the team (atleast when he is playing good)

Kumar said:
atleast when he is playing good

Exactly..thts my point..he was playing good only when he was closely watched by everyone from the selectors to the team mates to the commoners..at the slightest hint of him making a permanent position again in the team, he failed miserably at the hands of SL.. i wudnt even say "at the hands of SL"...he simply gave it away...

Rahul may not be a gr8 captain, but he is a much better batsman than Saurav..period. ;)

iosoft said:
I think he is on the road of new records -

1. Most out at ZERO.

2. Most out at ONE.

3. Most balls faced and out without a run.

etc.

He is the greatest batsman. Yes, greatest. But its his end of road....

first and sec one maybe a possibility coz he has played so much but where did u find the third...

Edit: Do you mean he will get these eventually?

I have nothing against Sachin Tendulkar, but I feel his time is over like Chappell; he's scored loads and loads of runnings and what not... but honestly speaking, for someone who's played 350+ ODIs and 100+ Test matches... how many of these big scores have come against quality oppositions at crucial times? That's a terribly small fraction, if carefully examined. In comparision to Lara, the West Indian genius has played tons of innings and very nearly made a difference on many occasions; every now and then you see when the team is struggling he comes, tries to hold one side up, scores a valiant 70/80 but can't do anything beyond that due to lack of support. I haven't seen much of that from Tendulkar, more so in recent years. Plus I believe his injuries have hindered his performances more than realised, and I really don't think he's as fit and sharp as required to compete consistently with today's pace of cricket. I'll go with what this Chappell say (definitely not what the other one does, though) and say for his sake, let him retire now. Because, if he plays on, what will he prove? It would just show that he is more concerned right now about his image to the public and that he wants them to remember only him... retiring now wouldn't be cowardice; it would be bravery, in fact, admitting to not being able to compete at this stage.

Back