Storage Solutions Safely Remove your Hard Disc!!!!!!

Saiyan

The L33t Admeen
Skilled
Aug 19, 2005
Texel, the Netherlands
www.techenclave.com

Guyz this problem(haven't got any problem because of this, have ignored it all these time) was been there from the begining. I dont know why i am getting that Safely Remove Hardware icon in the system Tray for my Seagate SATA HDD.

Eazy

Skilled
Mar 23, 2005
It seems if your mother board supports SATA 11 drives and your drive attached is a SATA 11 than it is HOT swappable and then you get this message in the systray - so it is quite normal to get the safe to remove HDD message - read this thread for more info on this...

http://www.pcguide.com/vb/showthread.php?t=39930

P.S. I checked in Experts Exchange and there too I got this same info.

Eazy

Skilled
Mar 23, 2005
zhopudey said:
That means my drive too is hot swappable? Awesome!!! :eek:hyeah:

Please read the thread I linked above - it may not be a good idea to HOT swap the system drive. I would never try HOT swapping a HDD - the very thought scares me :O

Rave

ex-Mod
Jan 11, 2005
Eazy said:
Please read the thread I linked above - it may not be a good idea to HOT swap the system drive. I would never try HOT swapping a HDD - the very thought scares me :O

imagine what wud happen if u "hot" swap a drive on which ur windows is installed :p

zhopudey

Skilled
May 14, 2005
D'uh!!!

eazy said:
it may not be a good idea to HOT swap the system drive.

Not a good idea? Of course its not!!! Its a very bad idea!

You think I'd remove my system drive? :tongue: Come'on guys, gimme a break.

Edit: Anyways, I don't think I could stop the hdd thru the "safely remove hardware" thing. It'll say " cannot stop the device as its being accessed".

SunnyBoi

Branch Manager
Staff member
Patron
Jan 31, 2005
Bangalore
Rave said:
imagine what wud happen if u "hot" swap a drive on which ur windows is installed :p

hehe...ppl at our college hostel "hot-swap" IDE HDDs :eek:hyeah: no side effects, windows wont crash, etc etc....lol

TheMask

Skilled
Jan 3, 2005
I have OS installed in a PATA drive. 2 of my data drives are SATA and i have tried "hot-swap"ing them. U can stop the devices n remove them. then, just plug in the data n power cable n the drive works fine again. But, u've to ensure the drive doesnt shake too much when it is being plugged in or out.