Sai Computers - Western Digital HDD Warranty Scam

rikhav

Disciple
Hello Guys

I am a new member out here. Been going through the forum but joined very recently

I would like to bring to your notice to all of you what WD is doing to not honor warranty

My old HDD crashed and I wanted to purchase a new HDD. I settled for WD Caviar Black 1TB specially because the website clearly claims it has 5 years warranty. Went and purchased from Sai computers, Near Navrang Cinema . Andheri , Mumbai. The invoice had mentioned 2 years warranty and I told them that its 5 years on WD Caviar Black drives. But since they were not aware of it , I did not argue with them thinking I will register the product and get the 5 years warranty

To my horror when i registered the HDD it showed warranty as 22 months. I was furious and called up WD helpline. The representative told me to write a mail mentioning the issue which i did. I was told that I will get a reply from WD after 6 working days. One Sunday evening I get a reply from WD that my drive is actually a replacement drive , so the warranty is carried forward from the older drive. They work only from Monday to Friday 9AM to 5PM and i get a mail on Sunday evening.

I called up Sai computers and told them about this issue. They told me to forward the mail to them and they will speak to the distributor. In the meanwhile I came to know about another person (co member on www.hifivsion.com) having purchased the same drive recently. I contacted him to know what warranty he has for his drive. To my surprise he also mentioned that he has 22 months warranty and he was given the same reason that his drive is a replacement drive and so the warranty is carried forward from the older drive. He called up many times on the WD helpdesk and every time he was assured that this is a new drive but concerned authorities never accepted it. He wrote many mails asking an explanation and no one from WD bothered to reply to him

So I want to caution all of you and bring to your notice how WD is playing games to avoid honoring 5 years warranty. This is plain cheating and sadly I cannot do anything.

So you purchased a new drive and it shows a 22 months warranty instead of full blown 5 year warranty, seems strange.
I just got my black drive and it is showing warranty upto 2017 end.

Return the drive to the seller and pick another one, check the warranty of the drive he is giving to you before picking it up.

So you purchased a new drive and it shows a 22 months warranty instead of full blown 5 year warranty, seems strange.
I just got my black drive and it is showing warranty upto 2017 end.

Not only in my case, but as i have mentioned one person whom i know has the exact same problem and is given exact 22 months warranty. It cant be such a great co-incidence. You are lucky that you have 5 years warranty. WD is not replying and is putting the blame on vendor

Return the drive to the seller and pick another one, check the warranty of the drive he is giving to you before picking it up.

The vendor for sure wont accept the drive back. I could not check the warranty earlier because it was specially ordered for me and in good faith I assumed he does not know about BLACK drives having 5 years warranty and accepted it

Even if i have the chance to give it back it will be a huge loss of time and money for me as my work will be stalled and I will have to re-install everything

Dushie, if i am not wrong you were active on hifivision till some time back. If you know FM Santy on hifivision he is the other person I am referring to who has purchased the same BLACK drive and is also getting 22 months warranty

Following is the e-mail I received from WD

Dear Customer,

Thank you for contacting Western Digital Service and Support.

This is to inform you that the drive SN: WCATRA625937 is a re-certified drive that was given as a replacement drive under an RMA.

This is not a prime drive and hence does not have a warranty period of 5 years.

The warranty on the respective defective drive has been forwarded on to this drive.

Kindly contact the place of purchase for any warranty related issues.

Warm Regards,
WD Support
1800-200-5789
1800-419-5591

Moral of the story: Always buy from branded shop such as Prime. Even if u get such drive from them, imho it should never happen, they will immediately give you a brand new full warranty drive. Since past 5 yrs now i've avoided all other local stores.

Moral of the story: Always buy from branded shop such as Prime. Even if u get such drive from them, imho it should never happen, they will immediately give you a brand new full warranty drive. Since past 5 yrs now i've avoided all other local stores.

I fully agree with you

But I came to know my HDD has crashed at about 6 PM and i did not have time to go to LT road so i bought it from a vendor who was nearest to me. My brother is a graphic designer and he had some urgent assignments to complete. I will still follow up with the vendor and see what he has to say

why blame WD when they are telling u honestly what happened?

Its your store guy to be blamed. Go Get a new one.

It's definitely not WD. It reeks of prior knowledge of the dealer selling the drive and thats why 2yrs was mentioned in the 1st place.

WD still honors and keeps 5yrs warranty on the Black series.

the thread title is misleading. instead of western digital, name the vendor you purchased the drive from. also it's clear model number, price and if possible it's photo.

I have 5 WD blacks, 4 new drives have 5 years warranty and one is 'recertified' (purchased for lesser amount than a new one) has 3 yrs warranty.

_

the thread title is misleading. instead of western digital, name the vendor you purchased the drive from. also it's clear model number, price and if possible it's photo.

I have 5 WD blacks, 4 new drives have 5 years warranty and one is 'recertified' (purchased for lesser amount than a new one) has 3 yrs warranty.

_

Hello guys
I take my word back. WD is not at fault here. The said vendor SAI COMPUTERS is at fault completely

When i called him today he defied me to show any WD BLACK CAVIAR HDD carrying 5 year warranty

So i sincerely request Digitaldude and Nalin to give me the serial no. of their HDD if they dont mind so I can show the vendor in his shop that the HDD's do carry 5 year warranty

Please help me out. I will be really obliged

MODS: Please change the thread title as this is spoiling WD's reputation

Well, i feel it is the vendor, who needs to get this replaced. WD won't do anything here, and some how i don't accept that he did not know WD black carries 5 years warranty. Any hardware seller who deals with WD hdd's would know clearly that Black drives come with 5 year warranty. Only way out is to ask him to get it replaced. Otherwise you would need to live with a warranty of 2 years. Another thing you can try is sending them the invoice of the HDD and see if they update the warranty. In the past couple of times it happened with me where the warranty was not correct. I sent them a scanned invoice with purchase date and other details and they updated the warranty with the purchase date. You can give this a shot and see if it works.

Mods please change the thread title, it is very misleading as WD india can't be blamed for the shopkeeper mischief.

OP please contact the shopkeeper only he can help you in this case.

Mods please change the thread title, it is very misleading as WD india can't be blamed for the shopkeeper mischief.

OP please contact the shopkeeper only he can help you in this case.

Nalin

Since afternoon i have requested mods to change thread but my posts are not showing up. Also i cant send you pm's

I request you and digitaldude to send me the serial number of your hdd so i can go to the shopkeeper with proof in hand and give him an option of giving me a new hdd or return my money back

Thanks a ton all of you

Either the shopkeeper is lying or he has been cheated by his distributor. Western Digital doesn't have much to do on this barring honoring the warranty carried forward.

It is like buying a second hand car, and expecting the manufacturer to honor the original 2 or 3 years warranty that comes with it.

coincidentally.. anyone here from Mumbai?... was looking to get myself a WD Black 1TB but didn't get anyone of the mumbai based dealers like IT Wares/Prime selling them online.

Any idea how much the 1TB Black WD's are going for and who in Lammy has it?

Back