Samsung 40" Series 5 - LA40A550

apsk121

Disciple
Jan 20, 2006
I'm looking for a 40" Full HD TV and I have personally narrowed down to this model. Can anyone recommend any alternative choices (within the same price range) and also what would be a good price for this model.
I was quoted 60k with warranty and everything.

nfsfan

Adept
Aug 20, 2006
i was quoted 58k i think. someone here was quoted 57k.

Its a good choice i think. But i would be waiting for the festive season for some discounts. Hope it gets below 50k.

sharmapu

Adept
Dec 26, 2006
both are good IMO:

VFM is series 5 40'

I wanted series 6 40' but its 99k....which is way over my budget.

For most of the things Sony w or v series is comparable to series 6 n 5 from samsung.

some people vouch for sony and some for samsung...

FYI: I am only able to find just one major difference i.e. lag in games

Sony - No lag ; just like CRT in all connections HDMI/VGA

Samsung - ~30ms in normal mode; ~10-20ms in game mode; no lag in VGA mode

smoky004

Adept
Mar 23, 2008
^ i believe series 6 is more or less the same as series 5.Only addition seems to be 100 Hz scan.Someone correct me if i am wrong.

Marun

Disciple
Jan 12, 2008
Anything about resolution??? isn't there any resolution change...???.. :huh:
smoky004 said:
^ i believe series 6 is more or less the same as series 5.Only addition seems to be 100 Hz scan.Someone correct me if i am wrong.

nfsfan

Adept
Aug 20, 2006
sharmapu said:
FYI: I am only able to find just one major difference i.e. lag in games

Sony - No lag ; just like CRT in all connections HDMI/VGA

Samsung - ~30ms in normal mode; ~10-20ms in game mode; no lag in VGA mode

where did you find that? That means if using HDMI connection in the samsung series 5 , u have a lag of 20ms?? How is that possible? i mean if a panel's rated at 5-7 ms like most are then how is it possible that they have different lags in different modes and conection?

Could u plz throw some light on that?

Edit : i think its the response time that it is 5-8ms and the input lag that is 20s..right?

sharmapu

Adept
Dec 26, 2006
avsforum.com

one guy did testing for the same...

he posted pics also to prove it.

further if u use gamemode in samsung, u can't edit or change many settings, this is done to avoid many post processing n thus lag.

you can try finding the post.....(i am feeling bit lazy ;) to post the link)

----

Two differences:

The difference between series6 and series 5 is 100Hz tech, but 32 inch series6 does not have this tech (not required for this small size).

The other difference is SD scaling performance which is much better in series6, actually its the best (or to avoid flaming ; one of the best) so far...

nfsfan said:
where did you find that? That means if using HDMI connection in the samsung series 5 , u have a lag of 20ms?? How is that possible? i mean if a panle's rated at 5-7 ms like most are then how is it possible that they have different lags in different modes and conection?

Could u plz throw some light on that?

adder

Skilled
Jul 8, 2007
sharmapu said:
both are good IMO:
VFM is series 5 40'
I wanted series 6 40' but its 99k....which is way over my budget.

For most of the things Sony w or v series is comparable to series 6 n 5 from samsung.

well the W series price wise is in the same catageory of samsung 6 series,but sony real competition for samsung 6 series is the sony X series,sony will soon launch the new x series and samsung is launching the new 7 series.so i suggest u wait since the prices could come down once the new models come.

nfsfan

Adept
Aug 20, 2006
agreed..at the current price of 60k, the only sony near to it is the s series 40" and that is for 73k. So for this price, its Samsung all the way. Also people say that 5 series is better than the S/V series. From my side, They are equally good.

anyways, wont the input lag cause a problem in setting up a HT as well?i mean audio could be like 30ms ahead....when audio is sent to a HT reciever?

adder

Skilled
Jul 8, 2007
nfsfan said:
agreed..at the current price of 60k, the only sony near to it is the s series 40" and that is for 73k. So for this price, its Samsung all the way. Also people say that 5 series is better than the S/V series. From my side, They are equally good.

anyways, wont the input lag cause a problem in setting up a HT as well?i mean audio could be like 30ms ahead....when audio is sent to a HT reciever?

well yes thats why we have a lip sync function in modern av receivers and dvd,BD players.where u can adjust the audio to the match the video.

the 5 series i feel as a better image processing then the sony S,V series.but sony produces more contrast and deeper blacks.

nfsfan

Adept
Aug 20, 2006
man thats too confusing. Initially i was going for 32" tv. But after seeing the samsung 40" @ 57k and that also with excellent quality, i decided samsung's the way to go. Now i have to set up the HTPC. This thing comes and again confuses me.

Maybe i'll have to go for 32". Theres no way that the Sony's price can drop below 50k near diwali. Samsung may drop BUt for sony to drop 23k, i dont think thats possible.

adder

Skilled
Jul 8, 2007
nfsfan said:
man thats too confusing. Initially i was going for 32" tv. But after seeing the samsung 40" @ 57k and that also with excellent quality, i decided samsung's the way to go. Now i have to set up the HTPC. This thing comes and again confuses me.

Maybe i'll have to go for 32". Theres no way that the Sony's price can drop below 50k near diwali. Samsung may drop BUt for sony to drop 23k, i dont think thats possible.

well i have seen prices drop from 84990 to 64990 to 54900 to 48900 in 1 year.

i bought the sony KLV-32V300A a year ago for 46000 in the grey market and in showrooms used to cost 64990.now the sony klv-32V400A costs 40k in the grey market.

nfsfan

Adept
Aug 20, 2006
that's why i am waiting for Diwali :)

On the other hand , if there were audio /lip sync problems with the 40a550..i don't think so many people on the avs forums would have bought it.

It still does remain a top contender for me...just w8ing for Diwali or for a better choice in this range.

smoky004

Adept
Mar 23, 2008
Sammy is soon gonna lauch the 7,8 and 9 series in india.So there will be a price cut for series 6.So wait if you can.