Samsung Galaxy Note II - The Ultimate Smartphone - A Quick Hand-On Review.

Performance has a new name and it's Note II. The Samsung Galaxy Note II is not an ordinary smartphone, it's a beast.

My brother was looking for a new phone and we were in market once again to get a decent mobile phone. Budget was around 25-35K and we considered HTC One S, HTC One X, Sony Xperia S, Samsung Galaxy SIII and Samsung Galaxy Note II.

After considering +ves and -ves of all phones on the basis of price, specs, brand, size etc we shortlisted Samsung Galaxy Note II and HTC One S. Now we almost made our mind for HTC One S as the specs + price makes it real value for money but things turned favorable for Note II. We dropped in to a nearby Samsung showroom and checked out the trial models on display there and we were simply amazed by the performance of Note II. Navigation was ultra smooth and quick and it was flying from one screen to another.

We quickly made our mind for a titanium grey Note II and sealed the deal.

(Click any picture to open a high resolution version)

Manufacturers making phones big but their boxes & SIM card smaller

The Flip Cover

Initially you will find this phone huge + a little difficult to handle but things gets simpler after using it for couple of hours. It can be easily operated with one hand but it is advisable to use it with both hands. The body is stylish metallic grey which is very premium to touch and feel. The screen is gigantic 5.5" which is a pleasure while watching HD movies/videos, viewing pictures, reading ebooks and doing other multiple stuff. Screen is super AMOLED with good coloring, saturation, contrast and brightness.

Screen is bright and easy on eyes

Words are not enough for describing the performance of this phone, one has to actually experience it. I am finding my One V severely under powered after using this phone for 4-5 hours and i am grabbing Note II again and again to experience the lightning fast performance and quench the performance thirst. It is one Heck of a phone :) Note II comes with quad core Cortex 1.6 GhZ CPU with Mali-400 MP GPU making a fantastic combination. Games, apps, videos work superfine on this phone. What further adds to the performance is the 2GB RAM which makes enough room for apps/games to run efficiently.

You get upto 7 home screen combinations on Note II

Note II comes preloaded with basic apps, Samsung's proprietary apps like chat on etc. Android 4.1.1 Jelly bean works perfectly on this device. This phone comes with 16GB internal storage + expandable SD card slot upto 64GB so space is not a problem on Note II. Device works on Micro-Sim only meaning you have to cut your exisitng sim card with a cutter (the showroom guy will do it for you) or you can ask a new microsim from your service provider. Internet browsing is super smooth and all websites loads in no time. 'Lag' word is not in the dictionary of Note II. S-pen is included with Note II and offers features like air view and handwriting to text conversion etc. A very convenient inclusion I must say.

Notice the size difference between Note II and One V.

Rear camera is 8MP with LED flash which can record full HD videos and front camera is 1.9 MP which can record HD videos. Image quality is good and camera offers all necessary options like burst mode, image scene etc. Speakerphone quality is good and volume is loud enough. My only grouse from this phone is the sound quality of headphones. Though they are push in type but still they don't even match with One V's standard headphones. It's not that they are bad but still I expected little more from the headphones. Here I must appreciate HTC, beats audio is just not a gimmick, it offers super sound quality. Samsung should have provided better headphones and included audio enhancing feature like beats audio.

Now coming to some screenshots of the phone running Android 4.1.1 JellyBean operating system.

To Sum it up Samsung Galaxy Note II is an ultimate smartphone with endless possibilities. I am yet to explore all features of the phone and this was only a hand on review of the device. I will add necessary information if required later.

Thanks guys for reading and I wish all readers a very happy and prosperous Diwali festival 2012.

Review also available at
In Search Of My Kind Of World & The Story So Far

Back