Samsung Galaxy R or the LG Optimus 2x..Confused?!

ekrishhh

Disciple
Hi

I'm also Confused between the two like many others!!

The Samsung Galaxy R has more RAM, Battery, A better UI and comes Stock with GB.

LG Optimus 2X has a better Camera and Video Recorder and HDMI. Also, it has a huge following in the custom ROM Scene.

So, which one should I go for? ..(even though i'm more in favour of Galaxy R) .. need ur valuable suggessions :)

Also, is there a possibility of CM on the R or an ICS update? Also, which is the better performer of the two? (shared from sidaster)
original.png

LG Optimus 2X P990
Price: Rs. 19990 (FlipKart - 18/12/2011)
Processor: 1 GHz ARM Cortex-A9, Dual Core
Size: 4 Inches TFT Capacitive (IPS Screen)
RAM: 512MB
Internal: 6.4 GB
Battery: Li-Ion, 1500 mAh
Weight: 139 g

Camera
Primary Camera: 8 Megapixel
Secondary Camera: 1.3 Megapixel
Flash: LED
Video Recording: 1920 x 1080, 30, 24 fps
HD Recording: HD, Full HD

Android v2.2 (Froyo) OS (upgradable to GB)
Other:
Gorilla Glass
HDMI port
LG Optimus 2X P990: Price in India, Reviews, Specification: Flipkart.com

original.png

Samsung Galaxy R I9103
Price: Rs. 20999 (FlipKart - 18/12/2011)
Processor: 1 GHz ARM Cortex-A9, Dual Core
Size: 4.19-inch Super Clear LCD
RAM: 1GB
Internal: 8 GB
Battery: Li-Ion, 1650 mAh
Weight: 132 g

Camera
Primary Camera: 5 Megapixel
Secondary Camera: 1.3 Megapixel
Flash: LED
Video Recording: 1280 x 720, 30 fps
HD Recording: HD

Android v2.3 (Gingerbread) OS

other:
Scratch-resistant glass
TouchWiz UI
No HDMI port
Samsung Galaxy R I9103: Price in India, Reviews, Specification: Flipkart.com

I'm planning to buy any of this in a couple of days!
btw, for Samsung Galaxy R, letsBuy offers some Branded Accessories Kit Worth Rs.1200
Buy Samsung Galaxy R i9103 at Best Price in India - Also find Specifications, Photos, Features & Reviews
...any idea what all this kit contains??

Thanks in Advance :)

Me too confused between the two :S

I saw the galaxy r yesterday and felt it to be fairly big enough for the price you pay. (Did not find the Ox2 at Reliance digital :() Also, the spec sheet will surely play a role in the upcoming ICS updates. So, galaxy r does seem a futuristic approach at a rather sweet price tag.

Thanx for the replies..guys!..
anyways, i decided on Samsung Galaxy R.. and FlipKart delivered it in 2 days!..here it is :
[attachment=10731:17724.attach]

Attachments

• DSC07097.jpg
    DSC07097.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 183
rhlravi said:
Congrats!

Add another guy in the same dilemma :p

Should make the purchase within a week, but which one? :S

Me presently leaning more towards Galaxy R since it now has its own forum at XDA ... granted Galaxy R may never get Cyanogen Mod but at least the out of box experience is smooth(as per the reviews and youtube videos ) as I am not in a mood to flash the device so soon

Congrats, I have been reading up on this thread for long. I dont really require a new mobile per se, but suddenly am craving for one :p

Wondering whether to wait for the price to fall down, as I seriously love the super AMOLED screen on SII but cant afford to spend so much on it :)

Edit: The screen on Galaxy R is the same as in I 9003? If yes, my bro has the I9003 and the screen is pretty good, dont really have any gripes with it.

Aces170 said:
Edit: The screen on Galaxy R is the same as in I 9003? If yes, my bro has the I9003 and the screen is pretty good, dont really have any gripes with it.

Galaxy R does have s-lcd which I guess is similar to I9003 as even it has s-lcd even samsung google nexus launched in India has slcd

Aces170 said:
Congrats, I have been reading up on this thread for long. I dont really require a new mobile per se, but suddenly am craving for one :p

Wondering whether to wait for the price to fall down, as I seriously love the super AMOLED screen on SII but cant afford to spend so much on it :)

The Galaxy R is reaching its prime now, with the product being neither too old, nor too new and the price has settled down. So it is a very good buy right now.

About the screen, it should be as good as, or slightly better than the i9003's.

I got to try it out today, and it was decent. I am not a fan of TouchWiz, having got bored of it on my old phone. But you can use a custom launcher on it to change that i guess, and no need of even rooting for that.

But i still think i will go for the O2x due to better build quality, better camera (with 1080p video recording too), gorilla glass protected screen, more compactness (though only slight), lower price and better community support. Those things are more important to me than some more RAM(does not equate to better performance) or slightly better battery life.

The Galaxy R is reaching its prime now, with the product being neither too old, nor too new and the price has settled down. So it is a very good buy right now.

About the screen, it should be as good as, or slightly better than the i9003's.

Yep hardware wise this phone is the best VFM I see right now. However dev support is non existent, although XDA granted it a forum (grudgingly). LG Optimus 2X has a vibrant developer base, with a CM7 release candidate ROM, and nightly builds of ME UI ROM, but official support is nada, and it has a smaller screen (how is IPS LCD compared to S LCD). In addition LG 2X has gorilla glass protection (how important is that?). Samsung on the other hand has ICS promise.

Its a tough decision between the two? How is the audio quality comparison between the two?

^

The Optimus 2X uses a 4” WVGA LCD that uses the IPS technology for improvement of viewing angles and color reproduction. On paper that screen is very similar to the iPhone 4 unit, but for the pixel density. In reality though things aren’t quite so impressive with the Optimus 2X screen losing on both viewing angles and contrast to the Retina display.

On the other hand this matters very little as you are still able to see the screen without much color distortion from various viewing angles. There is some colors shift, when you tilt the Optimus 2X, but it is hardly too bothering except at 45 degrees orientation.

Contrast and color reproduction on the other hand are hardly as good and you will easily notice the difference between a Super AMOLED unit and the Optimus 2X display. The LG smartphone fares pretty well in the LCD league, placing ahead of the HTC Desire HD (on all accounts), Sony Ericsson XPERIA Arc (on contrast degradation at even not so wide angles) and probably equal with the Samsung I9003 Galaxy SL. The Samsung Super Clear LCD packs slightly better viewing angles but has a cold cast to it that we don’t particularly enjoy.

LG Optimus 2X review: Double the potential - GSMArena.com

I would suggest everyone to go for the LG Optimus 2X.

LG has better specs than the Galaxy R with better looks (IMO) and build quality (from what I can see).

For those wondering about ICS, the LG already has a great community support with CM and MIUI roms, not to mention other many roms. It will be getting CM9 with ICS as well so no issues there.

On the other hand, although Samsung claims to bring ICS to the Galaxy R, I wouldn't trust them so much. Even if they do, you can be pretty sure it won't be getting ICS before May-June atleast. The SGSII and Note will get ICS in Q1 and the rest after that.

According to me, the LG still beats the Galaxy R on every single aspect, except maybe the battery life.

Back