Samsung Galaxy S. User experience, The good,The bad and The ugly! (6.5MB pic warning)

Shripad

ex-Mod
Hey there.

First things first.

There are 37 pics in here, if you want to b**ch about the full pics, exit now before you waste your precious bandwidth. You are warned in the 3rd line of this thread and in title.
================================================================
So finally I got some free time as I am not feeling well since yesterday (down with fever and upset stomach ) and and hence sitting at home all the time :ashamed:

There are just few things many people here requested and I personally wanted to let others know about this particular phone. And mainly put forward my views about this phone having used likes of Magic, Hero, Milestone, Nexus One, Desire, iPod touch, iPhone 3G and even iPhone 4 (though only briefly).

I really dont know if this qualifies as the review, so I am posting here. I will be adding the details about the UI and custom ROMs at later date. This is mostly focused of general use, my views about the same and hardware. Once this is complete, then I might move this to the review section.
So here goes nothing.....

The box landed sometime over the weekend.
Its a nice compact box. Very light.

img3430.jpg

img3433l.jpg

img3434s.jpg

Here is whats inside.
You get Charger, Warranty Card, Manual, Earphones, Data Cable and pouch.
img3435id.jpg

Here is the pouch I mentioned. Looks good in pics, but its not so good to carry around. But offers good protection to the phone which it does really need. So I suggest you use it until you get the proper case and screen protector for your phone. Trust me on this, you need the case.

img3464.jpg

And here is the phone. The design is very familiar. I wont blame Apple fanboys calling it a ripoff of iPhone 3GS. It does look very similar. Same metal ring around the face, prominant home button and two touch sensitive buttons ( Menu on the left and Back on the right side ) on either side of the home key. Lack of search key is compensated by giving search function when you press and hold menu key.

img3465ga.jpg

img3467go.jpg

img3468t.jpg

The prominent Samsung logo is right under the earpiece grill. On the right side of the grill, you have your video calling camera and on the left side, under the glass, there is proximity sensor and light sensor which is hard to see unless you stare at the phone up close.

img3469f.jpg

img3472.jpg

The back is very shiny. You will notice the bump on the bum of the phone. It is suppose to make it easy to grip, and I agree. The usual Samsung branding and "with Google" branding on the back.

img3483u.jpg

img3484u.jpg

img3473i.jpg

img3474w.jpg

The only two things you have on the back is the 5MP camera and the speaker grill. For some reason, the speaker grill is ever so slightly elevated. Now my question to Samsung is " Why!!!!" why in this world would you do that.?????. It is about half a millimeter so it is not tall enough to help sound get through if you place it on the cushion on bed or sofa. But its tall enough to get scratched badly if you do not use it in the case.

img3477g.jpg

img3478q.jpg

The power and screen lock key is on the right side (if you are holding phone with screen facing you ). This is slightly firm key which I prefer as you really do not want to lock screen accidentally every now and then.

img3476hc.jpg

The volume rocker is on the opposite side of the power key.

img3479q.jpg

The bottom has the microphone hole and there is slight slit to pop your battery cover using your nails.

img3480zv.jpg

The top has 3.5mm headphone jack and MicroUSB port which doubles up as charger port. And an microUSB to HDMI out cable is also on its way. The good thing here is that the port can be covered with the sliding door when not in use to protect it from dust and dirt.

img3482cf.jpg

img3486.jpg

Now coming to the party piece of this phone. The screen.
It can be described in 1 word. "Brilliant".
Absolutely stunning to look at in person. Samsung has made sure that they fixed the issues that people had with Pen Tile Matrix displays of Nexus One and Desire. So there is no pink tint or gradient issues with this screen. At least not that I could notice. its fantastic to look at. Compared to Desire and Nexus one, this is definite improvement. Super AMOLED does help cut down the reflection and refraction you get in direct sunlight and under bright light sources. All the pics below are either taken under sunlight or under multiple CFL light sources.

img3487ki.jpg

img3488t.jpg

img3489mx.jpg

img3490.jpg

img3491y.jpg

img3493t.jpg

img3494g.jpg

img3495n.jpg

img3498d.jpg

img3442n.jpg

img3463z.jpg

img3460c.jpg

img3453w.jpg

Now, the experience is somewhat spoiled with Samsung's decision to use blue - yellow - black theme for the phone. Why did they decided to use the colour which will reduce the on contrast experience on the screen is beyond my understanding. You can see this in Tapatalk, SMS screens.
Why not just use simple Dark grey - white - black one like Desire. It looks much better.
Samsung, now listen to your users please. People who buy these kind of device dont need colourful phone. They need something that is better at function and looks. Having colours for text / sms does not always work. This is not the damn Corby!!!!

Now coming to the worst part about this phone.
The built quality. Its pathetic.
Back cover is flimsy and plasticy. and I mean not your regular plastic that you can expect on high end phones.
Below is the pic of the Galaxy S cover next to the Desire cover.
Desire feels solid and 10 times better than Galaxy S cover.
Its also shiny and will develop microscratches very easily. This is true for entire body of this phone.

img3444n.jpg

img3445.jpg

Thats it for the pics. Now getting tot he point.

The Good.
  1. The Screen. Its simply brilliant. I have seen iPhone 4 screen and I would still rather have this.
  2. The raw processing power. A8 does the job just fine.
  3. The Touch screen. Its fantastic. Recognizes up-to 4 touches perfectly (at least I could identify 4 touches using a app called as MultiTouch Visualizer. And it does not have the limitations of nexus one and Desire where if you cross your two fingers, phone has hard time to recognize which finger is which resulting in unpredictable operation.
  4. The sound quality. Its one of the best I have experience so far on non Apple phones. Its fantastic. Its not treble heavy like many phones tend to be. Sound is clear and sound stage is good. There is a 5.1 channel emulation option in the player. Some people may prefer it if you are playing songs through dedicated set of speakers.
  5. It is suppose to get HDMI out via a cable soon. That will be brilliant.
  6. Simple Design. I know many wouldn't like it, but it works as a design.
  7. Very good camera picture quality. It came as unexpected surprise to get quality photos out of this phone even without flash. Even indoors it produces some nice shots. I will put some sample pics up later.

The Bad
  1. The Touch Wiz UI is not polished. Its miles behind something like HTC's Sense UI. I have no problems with their launcher and horizontal App scrolling. But rest is disappointing. Samsung even chose to remove some stock Android Apps and Widgets. But they did not substiture it with something better of their own. So you basically need to install tons of 3rd party apps and widgets to get it working the way I like it. I know Android is suppose to be customizable, but why remove some stock Android widgets and Apps? Even HTC does not do that.
  2. The music player does not recognize M3U playlist files or folder structure :(. So you need 3rd party music player for that. But for reason unknown to me, even players like Meridian does not sound same as Samsung Music player which is fantastic for sound quality.
  3. No flash for the camera. Not the deal breaker, but it would have been nice to have it on such high end phone. Specially to be able to use it as flash :p
  4. No notification LED, even backlit buttons are not used as Missed call, email, SMS notification.

The Ugly
  1. The only 1 thing, the built quality. Its unacceptable to have your flagship phone built like a chinese toy phone.
Samsung, I beg you, I really beg you, stop putting out your high end phones which feel as cheap as this when you hold it in hands. Its a huge disappointment. Your Spica felt better built than this phone.
I dont give a damn about extra 1mm in thickness or extra 5 gms of weight it might add to phone. PLEASE!!!!! Build your next phone properly.

At the end of the day even with all the shortcomings, that monstrous screen and Arm Cortex A8 saves the day for Samsung. It saved Samsung from lot of criticism which usually would have been thrown at them for building a high end phone like this. As a package it works. But it could have been perfection.

Added Content.

720P Video Sample on beach under good light conditions.

[youtube]M0GhzKUZaPQ[/youtube]

Youtube Link : YouTube - Samsung Galaxy S HD Video Sample ( Goa Beach, Good Light )

Poor light condition sample to follow soon.

That's it for now. I will reserve next post for other things which I will add over time.

Digg Here : Samsung Galaxy S. User experience, The good,The bad and The

Re: Samsung Galaxy S. User experience, The good,The bad and The ugly! (6.5MB pic warn

^ Excellent review. Even though I only played around with it for around 10 minutes, I had the same exact impression. Unfortunately for me, the build quality and the poor look of TouchWiz were dealbreakers for me. So I still sit waiting for either the HTC Desire or the Dell Streak to be officially released in India.

Re: Samsung Galaxy S. User experience, The good,The bad and The ugly! (6.5MB pic warn

From your review it looks like the phone has more positives than negatives :p only thing thats really putting me off is the overly colorful ui.

Good job! Except for the build quality, other issues can be fixed via a software update. I don't HATE Touchwiz personally, but I'd rather not use it anyway. Just hope Samsung does a good job at the Froyo update that is promised for September.

^^ TouchWiz is not much of a bother. if you don't like TouchWiz if you can use Launcher Pro or ADW.Launcher instead. I am using Launcher Pro myself.

Nice Review :)

I am very much satisfied with SGS as compared to earlier phones Omnia II-N97-Nokia 5800.......owned by me. I never looked back to HTC after using P3300 and TYTN II in 2008 because of extremely poor multimedia and battery life. It is true that build quality is inferior but I am immune to it after using Omnia II which has very similar back plastic cover. Anyway, Android interface is user friendly and simple particularly for calls and sms primarily used in a phone.

VERY GOOD review :)

So after using iPhone 4 and this...which one would you suggest....frankly?

Lord Nemesis said:
^^ TouchWiz is not much of a bother. if you don't like TouchWiz if you can use Launcher Pro or ADW.Launcher instead. I am using Launcher Pro myself.
I use launcherpro myself. I was just saying that Samsung is putting in a lot of effort on UI customization without the desired result. They need to learn a thing or two from HTC.

Thanks Shripad, a good highlight of the Pros and Cons.

You got me a bit worried there where you said you were going to post the Cons of the phone... I was expecting something deal breaking :p

I had a few minutes with the SGS at a store and I agree that the screen is a beauty but much too colorful and a blatant rip-off of iPhone app screen. Is this the best the samsung design team can do .

Build quality is a bit plastic-ky , and the desire build is preferable. Hardware buttons and a scroller would have been good but oh..well , you cant have everything. However, the build quality is not a problem for me, Ill keep it as safe as possible with the usual screen protector, cover , etc

Thanks for the great post...

The problem is, the bad things are not only software related. I know someone will fix it or at least make it better than it currently is (if not Samsung themselves, and many custom roms, specially with ext3 hacked kernel does make it better ).

The main problems are physical, and that is always a bad thing. If you handled the demo phone, and bought it knowing it is plasticy, you will get another shock when you actually pop the battery cover. Its much worse than what it looks form the outside in terms of thickness and quality.

Everyone knows this phone has the best SOC for android platform as of now, but matching that with such bad quality plastic is pointless. Even desire uses plastic, but its good.

Checksum said:
I use launcherpro myself. I was just saying that Samsung is putting in a lot of effort on UI customization without the desired result. They need to learn a thing or two from HTC.
There are people who loved TouchWiz as well. Its not like its so bad that no one likes it. So we cannot really say that Samsung failed to achieve the desired result. Pleasing everyone with a custom UI is not possible when there are multiple alternatives available to the user on that front.

I have not had the phone in my hands, but for such an expensive phone, it would be a deal breaker if the phone felt low quality in my hand

I saw a demo piece the other day.....it wasnt too bad, I thought build was just about tolerable. ITs not an excellent build but it is solid and neat without creaks and other noise.

^ agreed. The screen and hardware may speak of a 27k phone, but the plastic case speaks of a 5-7k phone.

OOps, missed one, no notification LED as well. Added that.

Shripad said:
OOps, missed one, no notification LED as well. Added that.
I also miss that feature in SGS as well as Omnia II after using N-97, 5800...............

How is touch when compare to Milestone?

Hmm.. yeah.. notification LED would have been good....

Problem is, the only phone that comes close in this category would be the HTC Desire, and that too it is lower spec'ed than the SGS.

HTC still hasnt given a clear date for its release, most probably the delay is cause of switching the AMOLED for SLCDs. Even then these guys will launch it @ more than SGS which is the real sore point which makes the SGS still come out on top.

There are people who loved TouchWiz as well. Its not like its so bad that no one likes it. So we cannot really say that Samsung failed to achieve the desired result. Pleasing everyone with a custom UI is not possible when there are multiple alternatives available to the user on that front.

Fair enough! You can't please everyone. The options that users have on Android is just amazing!

And I don't miss the camera flash or notification LED, coming from an iPhone 3G. My one and only gripe with the phone is the build quality. With a decent case, that should not be a major problem as well. I really wish some company comes out with a better backplate for it though.

My personal take on GS- Yes the battery cover is very cheap when removed. But when fitted does not feel that bad. I am pretty ok with its build quality, its not that bad btw. Sound quality is very good but Wave is even better. Two areas where I am feel a bit letdown is battery life under heavy use and camera. Wave's 5mp camera is better. Samsung should have put a single powerled flash like Wave which btw is pretty strong for a single led setup, on Galaxy S. They have put that led flash, 5 row slideout keypad plus physical camera shutter key on sprint's Epic 4G, then why not on GS. Atleast a led flash and physical camera button should have been there. A ver with slide out keyboard is Galaxe S pro which may or maynot come out later.

On a hardware side- cpu,gpu, ram etc this phone is the king now..

Back