Android Samsung Galaxy S2 Jelly Bean Update

Ethan_Hunt

Secret Agent Man
Skilled
My brother was opting for a smart phone switch and was initially looking for one of those Xolo models, when I somehow convinced him to look out for a Galaxy S2 instead.

I found this deal on Ebay which looks pretty sweet: http://cgi.ebay.in/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=261218791615&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:IN:1123

Since the S2 Plus has noticeable lags in Gaming performance (due to an inferior GPU), we have decided to go for the original S2 (i9100). Now my question is, since this comes with a stock 2.3.6 Gingerbread version, how easy/difficult is it to update to Jelly Bean without rooting the phone?

I queried the seller for the purchase location and he said it's from Hong Kong and was factory unlocked. As far as my limited update knowledge goes, each Android update is Carrier/Country specific? or do we have a universal one for Asia?

Help guys, this is sort of urgent as I need to make use of the Ebay coupon, which runs out in the next 3 days.

My brother was opting for a smart phone switch and was initially looking for one of those Xolo models, when I somehow convinced him to look out for a Galaxy S2 instead.

I found this deal on Ebay which looks pretty sweet: http://cgi.ebay.in/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=261218791615&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:IN:1123

Since the S2 Plus has noticeable lags in Gaming performance (due to an inferior GPU), we have decided to go for the original S2 (i9100). Now my question is, since this comes with a stock 2.3.6 Gingerbread version, how easy/difficult is it to update to Jelly Bean without rooting the phone?

I queried the seller for the purchase location and he said it's from Hong Kong and was factory unlocked. As far as my limited update knowledge goes, each Android update is Carrier/Country specific? or do we have a universal one for Asia?

Help guys, this is sort of urgent as I need to make use of the Ebay coupon, which runs out in the next 3 days.

No need to worry,if device is factory unlocked just plug it in PC and open Kies and lies will tell you About Available upadate ...and if you don't like kies way,just download any Odin flashble 4.1 ROM and use Odin to flash it...
I would advice to go with Odin way and its easy and you can choose between available ROM...

Thanks @manucitc. I have used Odin before for flashing Gingerbread on my T-Mobile's Galaxy Vibrant 4G. It was rather easy. But where do I get the stock ROM for Jelly Bean? Do we need to careful about the version?

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, the S2 has been so popular ever since its launch..i am pretty sure u ll be able to get your hands on the stock JB ROM easily on places like XDA. Official JB ROM has been launched i think.
http://www.techenclave.com/communit...ly-bean-update-rolls-out.144436/#post-1808606

I must ask u here, have you confirmed the model as being non G one..?
Also, olx is filled with warranty piece S2 in ample numbers and some are pretty much out of the box.. just like the one you have depicted via that link.

There are two models of the S2 floating about.. One is the I9100 and other being I9100G.
The latter is inferior as it has a weaker GPU (SGX 540). The CPU is near about the same for both though.

The sticker on the box will be carrying the information regarding its exact model number. Get that confirmed from wherever you are getting the phone.

As for the XDA link for the JB ROM, that pretty much seems to be the one :)

Don't worry about version with 'G',they have stopped selling I9100G version long time ago...
Just go ahead and buy listed phone and we will guide you for rest...
If your budget is 16300 as per mobile price why not add 1500 and get Used mint s3 from eBay.com if you are OK with used mobile...

I'm applying a discount coupon which would chip off 1.1k off that listed price. Just out of curiosity could you provide me a link for that S3?

Don't worry about version with 'G',they have stopped selling I9100G version long time ago...
Just go ahead and buy listed phone and we will guide you for rest...

Not a very wise approach. No harm in getting the full information before purchasing the piece.. ESP while getting it from OOR.

Secondly, @Ethan_Hunt, have you considered the final cost after the customs and all? I have seen S2 from mumbai on olx with the screen stickers still on being sold for quite a bargain and with good amount of warranty left as well. Worthy enuf of a shot.

Last edited by a moderator:
The piece is in India currently and the listed price is the final one. I doubt he knows about the G or Non-G version though.

The piece is in India currently and the listed price is the final one. I doubt he knows about the G or Non-G version though.

I almost bought an S2 recently and that was when i saw a decent number of offers for S2 phones with Indian warranty on OLX/Quikr. Needless to say a whole lot of them were from Mumbai. One was a brand new piece received as gift and hence no warranty but the price was still 15K. Anyways, since you are from Mumbai, I would really recommend checking those two sites before ordering from that eBay link. Best part is you can do a hand-hand deal.

Just a FYI.

The Samsung Galaxy S2 (I9100) received the Android 4.1.2 (Jelly Bean - second release) OTA update a few weeks back.

The improvements (visually and performance wise) are vastly noticeable and makes the S2 a great buy at its current price. The S2 does have decent hardware and should serve you well as along as you use the task manager to manage resources and don't bloat it up with too many apps.

OK, so the S2 finally arrived and it's an i9100 (non-G) version. Ran into a couple of issues, which I'm not sure is OS related or hardware. The only current issue plaguing it is the QWERTY keyboard seems to have some sort of dead zone. It won't type out some alphabets. If I switch to 3x4 view then it registers all the input properly. So I'm not sure what's wrong here. I have tried downloading Google keyboard, but it's still the same issue. Any thoughts on what could be wrong?

I upgraded to Jelly Bean with this ROM: http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/articles/4...9100-official-android412-zslse-jelly-bean.htm

OK, so the S2 finally arrived and it's an i9100 (non-G) version. Ran into a couple of issues, which I'm not sure is OS related or hardware. The only current issue plaguing it is the QWERTY keyboard seems to have some sort of dead zone. It won't type out some alphabets. If I switch to 3x4 view then it registers all the input properly. So I'm not sure what's wrong here. I have tried downloading Google keyboard, but it's still the same issue. Any thoughts on what could be wrong?

I upgraded to Jelly Bean with this ROM: http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/articles/4...9100-official-android412-zslse-jelly-bean.htm

If you followed what this site said, please please check your IMEI on phone and compare with the one behind battery. Mine got crapped, a 2 day old SG2, because the firmware damaged the IMEI and changed it to a generic value. The end result was, my cell is no longer registering to any n/w. Will be posting my woes in another thread, but do check.

Errr...My phone was from Honk Kong and the first Jelly Bean ROM I had flashed was a stock ROM specifically for Hong Kong based SGS2.

Anyway, I got it replaced with a brand new one and everything seems to be working fine now. I just have one small query to all the existing (and past) SGS2 owners. Was the 'Back' capacitative button very responsive from your usage experience? It seems the area designated for the back button is rather small and needs to be accurately tapped to respond.

Just a FYI.

The Samsung Galaxy S2 (I9100) received the Android 4.1.2 (Jelly Bean - second release) OTA update a few weeks back.

The improvements (visually and performance wise) are vastly noticeable and makes the S2 a great buy at its current price. The S2 does have decent hardware and should serve you well as along as you use the task manager to manage resources and don't bloat it up with too many apps.
link plz

I updated my non-rooted via kies (took around 3 hrs)... looks smoother and added UI is good...

Need to check about battery performance.

Back