PC Peripherals Samsung P2370MS with Composite In or other option?

EDIT: Samsung 27D5000 or 32D5000

EDIT: Will be going for an LED Tv and have finalized two models. Needed to get a few things clarified first. So please read from Post #6 and the doubts that I have are on Post #10
I request moderators to move this thread to 'Consumer Electronics' section and please do change the topic title to "Samsung 27D5000 or 32D5000". Thank you.

Hi, I was looking at a compact option for replacing my current 21" CRT tv. Theres not enough space to place a bigger Tv so came across this 23" LCD monitor that has all the inputs that one would ask for and also has a remote controller. Samsung P2370MS

The use will be for watching Tv and console gaming. Console gaming (Xbox 360) being the main reason. I was wondering if anyone here has this monitor, if yes, then your views would be very helpful.

I was also looking at other threads here and found Dell and Benq monitors, which are cheaper and could be better. But then this one has composite in and remote controller, basically a proper tv if you can say so.

As of now I am using normal cable connection for tv channels but would get a normal Hathway STB when I get the screen.

Considering my requirements, what is the best option? I want a good VFM setup for the time being. So do advice.
Thanks.

I have seen you mentioning the same monitor in almost all the thread here, it must quite a monitor I guess.

But then heres where it falls short of the Samsung P2370:

-HDMI port, Composite port. This will allow me to connect both the Hathway STB and Xbox 360 simultaneously.

-Remote control. Give me the ease of use and mobility.

-Audio in and audio out options

-In-built speakers. These will obviously will not be of great quality or loud, but can get me through a few days.

All I see in Dell's favor is the IPS panel, which I am not sure how amazingly good its gonna be. And the USB port, which are just for powering up certain devices.

Also, the two cost almost the same. I am gonna upgrade to a proper LCD tv after 6-8months so do consider that as well.

^^ An IPS panel has much better viewing angles and color reproduction across the board, infact people once migrated to IPS loathe coming back to standard TN panels, the latest UltraSharp series comes with a HDMI as well as a Display Port so future proof. For people with experience of IPS panels, PM LordNemesis he'll be able to give you a better response.

^^As I mentioned, I would be using the screen for watching Tv as well. Not sure if I will be able to do that with the Dell monitor, surely not without having lot of cables. Anyways, will drop a PM to LordNemesis. Thanks.

Guys, I have decided to go in for a 32" screen instead. Yesterday I went to a few stores to check them out and thats when I realized that a 32" would be the best option.

I narrowed down to two LED TVs.

LG 32LE4610: Rs34500/-

Samsung 32D5000: Rs40500/-

I was pretty certain that I would buy either one of these two, but wasnt sure if Samsung was worth that extra 6k to get the DLNA, All Share, feature. But, then I thought about it and felt that LG could be a better option due to its IPS panel resulting in wider viewing angles and lesser reflections.

I couldnt make my mind and this led me to another thought. Why get a Full HD? Might as well get an HD ready screen coz the difference wont be very significant for the screen size.

Now I am completely confused :(

First, I am going to quote a post that I made in another thread as that would clear up some things for you.

Lord Nemesis said:
Having very recently tried to use a LCD TV (Samsung LA32D5000) as a Monitor and Monitor (Dell 2007WFP) as TV, I can tell you my experience

LCD TV as Monitor

1. For browsing/reading stuff, LCD TV pretty good. You just need to adjust the brightness/back light levels and may be you have calibrate Clear type for you display. No Eye strain no matter how much time you read.

2. Playing games or watching videos up close (3~3.5 Ft) is not good at all. Will result in Eye strain no matter how much you try to adjust the settings. The picture quality is also not as good as a Monitor at such close distance. I had an optical migraine after playing a game for 45 min.

3. 32" is a bit too large for such close viewing distance. It will result in neck pain. 30" is the max one can use for close viewing and I think 27/28" would be perfect.

Monitor as TV

1. Using Monitor as TV works very well for medium level of distances like 6~9 Ft. The experience of using on my 2007WFP as TV was much better than the 20" CRT that we were using earlier.

2. Not many settings you have to mess with. Just adjust the brightness and contrast.

3. For sound, you will need to setup external speakers. (This is true even for LCD TV. In built speakers are so crap and I had to setup external speakers even for TV use).

Samsung 32D5000 is a great TV, but just don't try to double it up as a Monitor for close range viewing. For console gaming and movies it is a great display. I haven't used all the features in the TV yet, but last weekend, I tried the Media playback functionality and I am really impressed. I just attached a 250GB 2.5" HDD via the USB port and it was able to play the video's on it seamlessly and in great quality despite the despite the 400~600p resolution of the videos. From what I read, the playback support is also quite impressive to the point that you won't need a separate media player box for the most part.

Also I implore you not to be tempted by the idea of going for a HD ready display just to save some cash. Full HD is not overkill for 32". In fact Samsung has a 27" Full HD TV (27D5000) which looked even better than the 32D5000 because of the smaller pixels.

As for IPS vs TN, yes the difference is quite substantial. I wouldn't recommend using a TN Panel as a TV because of its poor viewing angles. IPS Panel Monitors make for nice TV replacements, but only if they have the requisite inputs.

The Dell U2311 does not have these inputs AFAIK. Considering it has only DVI and VGA Inputs, you would either need an STB with HDMI/VGA outputs or invest in a TV Tuner/Converter that can give you VGA/DVI/HDMI Outputs from Composite/Component Inputs from STB.

^^Thanks for dropping in with your comments.

I was pretty much getting inclined to the 32D5000 myself but it was the IPS panel of LG that left me wondering. Also, now that you have mentioned the 27D5000, it looks to be nice prospect as well, mainly coz of the fact that I fit easily fit it in my currents TV's place.

I am not gonna be using the TV as a monitor, atleast not on a regular basis. I hope this solves the issue of eye stain when viewing it from about 5ft while gaming on the Xbox 360, right?

How do you think is the price tag of 40.5k for the 32D5000? It looked good, but only until I came across your thread where you mentioned about it costing you 38.5k.

Yes, 38.5k is the price I got it for. Considering you are also in Hyd, You can go to the Samsung Plaza in Banjara Hills (KBR Park road) and pick it up for the same price. ;). They had the 27D5000 on display, so you can check it out as well. (didn't inquire the price though).

As for LG IPS TV's, yes they do have a definite advantage because of the IPS Panels. Even now I would say that I found the LG TV's to have the superior picture of all the TV's that I checked out, but Samsung is not too bad either and I found it a much better package of features for the price point.

I thought you got it from Mohali, thats what your 'Location' reads. But hey, thanks for letting me know about it. They are offering it for 38.5k:clap:

I also got to see the 27" screen and it looked to be appropriate for my room. Now the dilema is between the 27" and 32" D5000:S

Will have to make space to fit the 32":mad: Donno what to do:(

Have a couple of doubts:
1. Can I use the All Share feature of the 32" through my iPod Touch and Macbook Pro?
2. How do I check the panel for S-PVA, without opening the TV box seal?

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Need to know one more thing, and the most important part I guess.

The 27" has 50Hz and 32" has 100Hz, how much of a difference does this make? Is the ghosting effect very prominent on the 50Hz screen?

Back