Samsung Phones Are Blowing Up... | Bad Batteries

Apple restrict their fastest charging to 15W
Maybe that has to do with their age old lightning port rather than them playing it safe. Lightning port protocol is too old to adopt new standards.

Secondly, from my research of Li-on vs Li-po a decade ago, The Li-po isn't stored in a pressurized container like Li-on and that makes them a poor bomb material. Li-po also has less internal resistance so they stay cooler than Li-on while charging or discharging. Maybe the only pro Li-on has over Li-po is the highest energy density.
If the battery does go bad early due to fast charging, Samsung charges just 3k for the battery change. Worth it to spend that amount every 18 months or so.
Same here. Batteries are like consumables for me like the engine oil in the vehicles. I don't like to throw away a vehicle after its engine oil turns bad.

Lucky, so far all my phones have had user replaceable batteries.

Last edited:
Maybe that has to do with their age old lightning port rather than them playing it safe. Lightning port protocol is too old to adopt new standards.

Secondly, from my research of Li-on vs Li-po a decade ago, The Li-po isn't stored in a pressurized container like Li-on and that makes them a poor bomb material. Li-po also has less internal resistance so they stay cooler than Li-on while charging or discharging. Maybe the only pro Li-on has over Li-po is the highest energy density.

Same here. Batteries are like consumables for me like the engine oil in the vehicles. I don't like to throw away a vehicle after its engine oil turns bad.

Lucky, so far all my phones have had user replaceable batteries.
Apple uses USB-PD for power, so lightning connector is irrelevant. They already support 27W on the Pro Max. Apple deliberately keeps the max. power low to different levels depending on the size of the device battery. My 12 Mini does 15W with the official cable and 9W with an unofficial one which also means I don't need to worry about the charger and use a 65W USB-PD one.

Also, doesn't make sense to charge unrealistically slowly as my phone's battery health is still at 100% after a year.

yes, this is a serious issue which samsung should look into, or it must be knowing it already. But i dont think a regular user should be worried about this at all, as this happens to the devices which are kept unused for several months. Since samsung s3 days, i always keep one samsung phone with me and never faced such issue. Just couple of days before i sold one of my Note 9(had two) which was almost four years old (still working very well) for 9.8K to cashify. And replaced with another samsung (S21 FE).

90% of YouTube "product review" community is just advertising in a new form. There are some genuine reviewers in the PC components space, but for mobiles it is only "influencers".
Don't know who to believe. There are plenty of Samsung shills too on Youtube. Obviously alongside plenty of Apple shills. Never saw anyone highlight the shit oversharpened photos iPhone 13/14 takes (apart from Verge). Or how Samsung animations are the absolute worst with major jarring. How a new notification handling became a talked about feature is down to these influencers. It's not apple marketing prowess, more like apples influencer tie up prowess. Also what a stupid AOD system just to call themselves different. But no one has the guts to call that out.

Unbox therapy got shunted by apple after the bendgate video. But no matter what is the bias of mkbhd or mrwhosetheboss, YouTubers calling out sub par products needs to be encouraged.

He did not review Samsung's biggest launch - flip/fold 4 and Galaxy watch. These can easily compete against Apple and Samsung launched right before Apple's event

Samsung’s Official Statement On The Swelling Batteries

Part we want to know is this

long term storage.jpg

The part that is interesting is they say to charge it regularly. These batteries do not like to be forgotten.

Contrast with battery uni

There is virtually no self-discharge below about 4.0V at 20C (68F); storing at 3.7V yields amazing longevity for most Li-ion systems. Finding the exact 40–50 percent SoC level to store Li-ion is not that important. At 40 percent charge, most Li-ion has an OCV of 3.82V/cell at room temperature. To get the correct reading after a charge or discharge, rest the battery for 90 minutes before taking the reading.
A properly designed and correctly charged lithium-ion cell should not generate gases, nor should it lose electrolyte through venting. In spite of what advocates say, lithium-based cells can build up an internal pressure under certain conditions, and a bloated pouch cell is proof of this
The prismatic cell improves space utilization and allows flexible design but it can be more expensive to manufacture, less efficient in thermal management and have a shorter cycle life than the cylindrical design. Allow for some swelling. The prismatic cell requires a firm enclosure to achieve compression. Some swelling due to gas buildup is normal, and growth allowance must be made; a 5mm (0.2”) cell can grow to 8mm (0.3”) after 500 cycles. Discontinue using the battery if the distortion presses against the battery compartment. Bulging batteries can damage equipment and compromise safety.
In other words, swelling is not a problem according to the industry.
The pouch cell offers a simple, flexible and lightweight solution to battery design. Some stack pressure is recommended but allowance for swelling must be made. The pouch cells can deliver high load currents but it performs best under light loading conditions and with moderate charging.
Faster charging means more stress. Keep in mind that fast charging is typically 4C. That means flat to 80% in 15mins. Ultra fast is the same in 10 minutes.

1C means it takes an hour. To know how many 'C' your charger is measure time from flat to 80%.
Although easily stackable, provision must be made for swelling. While smaller pouch packs can grow 8–10 percent over 500 cycles, large cells may expand to that size in 5,000 cycles. It is best not to stack pouch cells on top of each other but to lay them flat, side by side or allow extra space in between them. Avoid sharp edges that can stress the pouch cells as they expand.

Extreme swelling is a concern. Users of pouch packs have reported up to 3 percent swelling incidents on a poor batch run. The pressure created can crack the battery cover, and in some cases, break the display and electronic circuit boards. Discontinue using an inflated battery and do not puncture the bloating cell in close proximity to heat or fire. The escaping gases can ignite.
Poor batch means 3 out of 100 will swell excessively.
Swelling can occur due to gassing. Improvements are being made with newer designs. Large pouch cells designs experience less swelling. The gases contain mainly CO2 (carbon dioxide) and CO (carbon monoxide).
Pouch cells are manufactured by adding a temporary “gasbag” on the side. Gases escape into the gasbag while forming the solid electrolyte interface (SEI) during the first charge. The gasbag is cut off and the pack is resealed as part of the finishing process. Forming a solid SEI is key to good formatting practices. Subsequent charges should produce minimal gases, however, gas generation, also known as gassing, cannot be fully avoided. It is caused by electrolyte decomposition as part of usage and aging. Stresses, such as overcharging and overheating promote gassing. Ballooning with normal use often hints to a flawed batch.
Arun will say bad batch but I think his issue is charge% when put into storage. If it happens in use then it is a bad batch. Which was my case with the second LG V20 battery.

Lithium-ion is safe but with millions of consumers using batteries, failures are bound to happen. In 2006, a one-in-200,000 breakdown triggered a recall of almost six million lithium-ion packs. Sony, the maker of the lithium-ion cells in question, points out that on rare occasion microscopic metal particles may come into contact with other parts of the battery cell, leading to a short circuit within the cell. Battery manufacturers strive to minimize the presence of metallic particles.
Battery manufacturers may use less stringently controlled cleanrooms than the semiconductor industry. While a non-functioning semiconductor simply ends up in the garbage bin, a compromised Li-ion can make its way into the workforce undetected and deteriorate without knowing. Resulting failures are especially critical with the thinning of the separators to increase the specific energy.

Cells with ultra-thin separators of 24µm or less (24-thousandth of an mm) are more susceptible to impurities than the older designs with lower Ah ratings. Whereas the 1,350 mAh cell in the 18650 package could tolerate a nail penetration test, the high-density 3,400 mAh can ignite when performing the same test. (See BU-306: What is the Function of the Separator?) New safety standards direct how batteries are used, and the UL1642 Underwriters Laboratories (UL) test no longer mandates nail penetration for safety acceptance of lithium-based batteries.
The separators were thicker with lower-capacity batteries. But since everyone wants bigger batteries in the same space constraints then the separator has to become thinner so it is less robust than before.

To verify the safety of a new cell, a manufacturer may release 1 million samples into a workforce on observation. The cell is approved for the use of critical missions, such as medical, if no failure occurs in one year that could compromise safety. Similar field-testing is also common with pharmaceutical products.

Li-ion using conventional metal oxides is nearing its theoretical limit on specific energy. Rather than optimizing capacity, battery makers are improving manufacturing methods to enhance safety and increase calendar life. The real problem lies when on rare occasions an electrical short develops inside the cell. The external protection peripherals are ineffective to stop a thermal runaway once in progress. The batteries recalled in 2006 had passed the UL safety requirements — yet they failed under normal use with appropriate protection circuits.

There are two basic types of battery failures. One occurs at a predictable interval-per-million and is connected with a design flaw involving the electrode, separator, electrolyte or processes. These defects often involve a recall to correct a discovered flaw. The more difficult failures are random events that do not point to a design flaw. It may be a stress event like charging at sub-freezing temperature, vibration, or a fluke incident that is comparable to being hit by a meteor.

Li-ion batteries that have been exposed to stresses may function normally but they become more sensitive to mechanical abuse. The liability for a failed battery goes to the manufacturer even if the fault may have been caused by improper use and handling. This worries the battery manufacturers and they go the extra mile to make their products safe. Treat the battery as if it were a living organism by preventing excess stress.
Some people freak out about battery exploding
With more than a billion mobile phones and computers used in the world every day, the number of accidents is small. By comparison, the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration say that your chance of being struck by lightning in the course of a lifetime is about 1 in 13,000. Lithium-ion batteries have a failure rate that is less than one in a million. The failure rate of a quality Li-ion cell is better than 1 in 10 million.

Back