Android Samsung S20 FE 5G Resale Value Dilemma

S20 FE 5G was the last good phone from Samsung. It has good cameras, good processor and the relatively long software updates from Samsung. One won't be missing much by not going for the latest snapdragon offerings( 888 and 8 gen 1).
If you are into emulation then hands down S20 FE 5G is the way to go at 34k(or MI 11x at approx 21k if emulation is the only goal).
Iphone 12 mini is also good at 39k but it has a not very good battery.
Both of these phones will keep going for 3 years minimum.

S21 ultra for 50k and S21 plus for 55k...only if u have said plus for 50k and ultra for 55k that I would have been right ultra model 5k cheaper then plus model, Bro you are confused it never happened the one you are talking about was for S21. S21 ultra never went below 85k, Period.

As comparing cheaper OneUI devices what if apple launches cheaper 15/20k phone will they not run on IOS.... Don't know what comparison you're trying here cheaper vs Expensive, Most phines have more or less same resale value, I change phones on monthly basis I buy almost every flagship and I would again say Samsung, Apple both have almost same resale value.

@ayaskant12 what you say?
A typo on my end as I was referring to S21 and S21 Plus. You asked for a source, I provided one from a pan-India reseller. You want global studies, you will find several like the ones below.

You want to stick to your experience, then it is fine by me. My opinion is based on my experience and what's already studied by several sources. There is nothing in this for me, so you can buy/sell whatever floats your boat as long as your are happy with the price and experience.
S20 FE 5G was the last good phone from Samsung. It has good cameras, good processor and the relatively long software updates from Samsung. One won't be missing much by not going for the latest snapdragon offerings( 888 and 8 gen 1).
If you are into emulation then hands down S20 FE 5G is the way to go at 34k(or MI 11x at approx 21k if emulation is the only goal).
Iphone 12 mini is also good at 39k but it has a not very good battery.
Both of these phones will keep going for 3 years minimum.
I went with the 12 mini during Diwali when it cost 33k. The battery life is unsurprisingly better than the SE I was using previously. However, the MagSafe battery packs (non-Apple) are awesome as they have basically addressed the only issue I had with the phone.

A typo on my end as I was referring to S21 and S21 Plus. You asked for a source, I provided one from a pan-India reseller. You want global studies, you will find several like the ones below.

You want to stick to your experience, then it is fine by me. My opinion is based on my experience and what's already studied by several sources. There is nothing in this for me, so you can buy/sell whatever floats your boat as long as your are happy with the price and experience.

I went with the 12 mini during Diwali when it cost 33k. The battery life is unsurprisingly better than the SE I was using previously. However, the MagSafe battery packs (non-Apple) are awesome as they have basically addressed the only issue I had with the phone.
That article is from 2019 and is the received wisdom.

The present point challenges this long held belief by arguing based on the depreciation of the latest iphone to date.

Thing is we don't have more data. Whether this will hold true over the next two years.

Meaning will the depreciation of the latest iphone continue at the same rate or will it stabilise ?

If it's the latter then the iphone holds more value than a comparable android two years later otherwise the price difference in terms of resale is negligible.

Jury is still out.

That article is from 2019 and is the received wisdom.

The present point challenges this long held belief by arguing based on the depreciation of the latest iphone to date.

Thing is we don't have more data. Whether this will hold true over the next two years.

Meaning will the depreciation of the latest iphone continue at the same rate or will it stabilise ?

If it's the latter then the iphone holds more value than a comparable android two years later otherwise the price difference in terms of resale is negligible.

Jury is still out.
And the Cashify article that I linked to initially is from Jan 2022.

This information is published annually, so just do your own search. It is better than "mere area mei, iss dukaan mei, itna milta hai".
1644036018160.png

This information is published annually, so just do your own search. It is better than "mere area mei, iss dukaan mei, itna milta hai".
His experience is anecdotal. At the same time intriguing because it challenges the conventional wisdom.

So, I queried kiran's point on a UK phones community and people agreed that the difference in resale was getting smaller than it used to be.

Let's see if it holds true by next October. I don't see why it won't.

This argument isn't over yet. Just be patient :)

His experience is anecdotal. At the same time intriguing because it challenges the conventional wisdom.

So, I queried kiran's point on a UK phones community and people agreed that the difference in resale was getting smaller than it used to be.

Let's see if it holds true by next October. I don't see why it won't.

This argument isn't over yet. Just be patient :)
I think all bets are off when people who buy the latest flagship at launch and flip phones every few months compare resale values by platform.. Too many variables at play..

For users who tend to hold phones for longer periods, the TCO for apple will usually turn out cheaper

I think all bets are off when people who buy the latest flagship at launch and flip phones every few months compare resale values by platform.. Too many variables at play..

For users who tend to hold phones for longer periods, the TCO for apple will usually turn out cheaper
iPhone 12 Pro Max was Apple's flagship launched in Sept 2020 and S21 Ultra would be Samsung's flagship launched in January 2021, if you don't count the Fold and Flip phones. Comparing the launch and today's OLX price for both those phones should be enough, IMO.

TCO for people holding phones for longer period won't give the actual picture because for anyone holding a phone for 3+ years, trust me, Xiaomi Note series will beat everyone else. And for people holding phones for 3+ years, shouldn't even worry about these numbers as, irrespective of whether they are budget buyers, or flagship enthusiasts, they would've already availed the best bang for their buck by holding on to their phones for so long.

iPhone 12 Pro Max was Apple's flagship launched in Sept 2020 and S21 Ultra would be Samsung's flagship launched in January 2021, if you don't count the Fold and Flip phones. Comparing the launch and today's OLX price for both those phones should be enough, IMO.

TCO for people holding phones for longer period won't give the actual picture because for anyone holding a phone for 3+ years, trust me, Xiaomi Note series will beat everyone else. And for people holding phones for 3+ years, shouldn't even worry about these numbers as, irrespective of whether they are budget buyers, or flagship enthusiasts, they would've already availed the best bang for their buck by holding on to their phones for so long.
The OLX prices are extremely inaccurate as people post most phones at ridiculous prices factoring in the stupid level of bargaining that occurs over there. Also, the entire discussion was not to consider the most extreme versions of the phones because they sell in lower numbers and are mostly resold by people who have little consideration of depreciation. The idea is to see which mainstream phones provide the most resale value after a normal ownership period. In the case of the iPhone, you will have to consider the version without any suffix and compare it to the equivalent Samsung S device without suffix (though the Note devices were easier to compare since they released around the iPhone), and the OP's question is in a lower price range.

You may wish to set the cut-off at 1-year (which is also the period that the depreciation chart I posted previously considered). However, the graph below indicates the average ownership period has been increasing globally over time and extends well over 2 years (again, just the first one in the results because I am not doing serious research). There are not a whole lot of people who wish to spend money on the latest flagships every year. You will get the most distorted opinions when people present anecdotal evidence of the most expensive devices being sold over an extremely short period of time.

1644071231469.png

I don't like changing my phone often, so my opinion as good as those who sell phones frequently, though I sold my 7T and SE after a year and lost less on the SE. It is again anecdotal, but you can see years-old iPhones being sold in more numbers here than Android ones, even though the iPhone market share in India is miniscule. It is a fact that iPhones have the longer software support, great cameras and are released with processors that are at least a generation ahead of the Qualcomm equivalent, which naturally makes it more resalable.

Also, the Android marketplace is extremely crowded, which is a good thing in terms of competition, but it also accelerates the depreciation as most users are spec obsessed in India. I am pretty sure you can find any data that will support one opinion over another and hence you need a credible, aggregated data source for such stats which is unfortunately not easily available. So, people will stick to what they believe and there is no end to the debate.

To answer the OP, I would stick my neck out to say that the 12 mini will fetch a better value than the S20 FE in 2024.

Last edited:
The OLX prices are extremely inaccurate as people post most phones at ridiculous prices factoring in the stupid level of bargaining that occurs over there. Also, the entire discussion was not to consider the most extreme versions of the phones because they sell in lower numbers and are mostly resold by people who have little consideration of depreciation. The idea is to see which mainstream phones provide the most resale value after a normal ownership period. In the case of the iPhone, you will have to consider the version without any suffix and compare it to the equivalent Samsung S device without suffix (though the Note devices were easier to compare since they released around the iPhone), and the OP's question is in a lower price range.

Just scroll through all the posts above, including your own. The conversation was changed to particularly talk about Flagships from the second post itself and both you and me have made posts regarding that point above.
Just like you, I usually hold on to phones for nearly 3 years now and that's why I personally have no idea about resale values as at that point I am not really worried about the price I am getting. This is also exaggerated in my particular case because I don't buy flagships anymore so the resale value is already next to nothing for my phones. And that's why I talked about agreeing with the opinion of someone who I know buys (both new and second hand) flagships for not only himself, but his family and friends as well. Apple devices have always held their values better, but due to the increase in their entry point, and of course their insane add-on costs for memory upgrades mean that even with better depreciation percentage wise, they will mostly lose in terms of actual money loss.
Also, I was not talking about listed OLX prices. Again I was talking about what people who regularly buy and sell through OLX tell me. Anyhow, as someone who has been wanting to move to Apple, I find that I can't even afford their second hand devices, so you are right they have a good resale value. But this year, I found the same for Android flagships which I was trying to find in the second hand market and that is what surprised me.

Just scroll through all the posts above, including your own. The conversation was changed to particularly talk about Flagships from the second post itself and both you and me have made posts regarding that point above.
Just like you, I usually hold on to phones for nearly 3 years now and that's why I personally have no idea about resale values as at that point I am not really worried about the price I am getting. This is also exaggerated in my particular case because I don't buy flagships anymore so the resale value is already next to nothing for my phones. And that's why I talked about agreeing with the opinion of someone who I know buys (both new and second hand) flagships for not only himself, but his family and friends as well. Apple devices have always held their values better, but due to the increase in their entry point, and of course their insane add-on costs for memory upgrades mean that even with better depreciation percentage wise, they will mostly lose in terms of actual money loss.
Also, I was not talking about listed OLX prices. Again I was talking about what people who regularly buy and sell through OLX tell me. Anyhow, as someone who has been wanting to move to Apple, I find that I can't even afford their second hand devices, so you are right they have a good resale value. But this year, I found the same for Android flagships which I was trying to find in the second hand market and that is what surprised me.
Outside of the sales on the e-commerce websites, the silicon shortage is causing a real headache, so manufacturers cannot be expected to price the phones lower. This is also playing out in the second-hand market and in that sense 2021 onwards has been an anomaly. Normally, Samsung is a lot more aggressive with the pricing and this year they are not because of the need to maintain the profits with lesser units.

The conversation did go in a different direction but the OP was concerned about the resale value of a "mid-range" Samsung device two years from now.

It is a fact that iPhones have the longer software support, great cameras
Fine

and are released with processors that are at least a generation ahead of the Qualcomm equivalent, which naturally makes it more resalable.
How do you support this part ?

I am pretty sure you can find any data that will support one opinion over another and hence you need a credible, aggregated data source for such stats which is unfortunately not easily available. So, people will stick to what they believe and there is no end to the debate.
Wait till October and then compare prices. We have a data point at the present point of time from which projections have been made.

The proof will be in october. We will know whether there is a difference after a year or not.

Note that we're referring only to the 13. Both sides have compelling arguments but there isn't a clincher yet.

I think with older iphones the conventional belief still holds unless karan wants to contest that too.

How do you support this part ?
Quantitaively, the current flagship QCOMM measures up against the 2018 A12 on single core and multi core performance.

Anecdotally, I found the day to day performance of my 855 based LG G8X to be at par with my old iphone X (A11)
and my S20FE/S7+ (SD865) to be just about or marginally under my wife's iPhone 11 Promax (A12)

On a side note, even the most ardent android fans acknowledge that Qualcomm (and peers) are at a roughly 2 gen disadvantage if you are measiring on raw SoC prowess alone

Pricing aside, I find it much easier to liquidate iPhones. Case in point was when I was liquidating a 6S and S8 (Both bought at similar time for similar price at retail). 6S was sold at my fair asking price within minutes while for the S8 I had to resort to OLX & sell at less than 60% of my expected price after a week of haggling. I can only imagine it being worse if I were trying to sell an android from a less reputed brand. I was not even able to find a buyer for a brand new Redmi 9 I had listed on the forum at over 30% discount on market. I personally would add the cost of time to sell when factoring in for what to go for.

I think in the short term (less than 2 years) - Android Flagships & iPhones have lately started to have similar deprecation curves.

Anything longer and I feel iPhones tend to have better resale value.

Pricing aside, I find it much easier to liquidate iPhones. Case in point was when I was liquidating a 6S and S8 (Both bought at similar time for similar price at retail). 6S was sold at my fair asking price within minutes while for the S8 I had to resort to OLX & sell at less than 60% of my expected price after a week of haggling. I can only imagine it being worse if I were trying to sell an android from a less reputed brand. I was not even able to find a buyer for a brand new Redmi 9 I had listed on the forum at over 30% discount on market. I personally would add the cost of time to sell when factoring in for what to go for.

I think in the short term (less than 2 years) - Android Flagships & iPhones have lately started to have similar deprecation curves.

Anything longer and I feel iPhones tend to have better resale value.
You should have used OLX for selling the Redmi. Depending upon availability, you would have easily got back your money or just slight depreciation.
I sold a 3 month used RN9 Pro Max for a loss of just 500 bucks. In fact, even an year later the same phone commands similar price. Redmi Note series is the king of resale value in my view. I can still get 3-4k for a 6 year old RN3 which I had bought for 11k.

I am thinking to buy Samsung S20 FE 5G since its a good phone in 35-36k price segment.
But its already 2 years old phone, and if I sell that in 2024 will anyone buy that in 50% or 60% drop price ?
You will probably get better value when you exchange that 2 year old phone in Amazon/Flipkart. Only iPhones seem to retain value after going out of warranty.

Back