PC Peripherals Samsung s2233sw bad viewing angles (is it just me or everyone)

hey guyz,
i have a Sammy S2333sw+ (50000:1 walla). The problem is thta, when i look if from right in front its ok ,, when i look it from above ( like looking down on monitor ,, while standing up ) there is less black so am able to observer or see more things.
I have a low bed ,,, almost touching the ground. When i look up at the monitor from my bed i c almost black. Half of teh things are black and am able to observe almost nuthin.
IS IT JUST ME OR EVERYONE?? OR JUST SECIFIC TO SAMMY LCD MONITORS

i suppose you are new to the viewing angle aspect of an LCD panel.

contrast ratio will drop in terms of visibility as viewing angle increases.

you will get best picture when the LCD is perceived from 90 degrees..that is from center and perpendicular to the surface of the panel.

Yes I have a one samsung recently bought for my kids computer & its a cheap TN panel hence the viewing angle suffers, for my computer I use MVA (Lenovo LCD) & that does not do this, I can view the image without any darkening of screen on my MVA panel.

MVA panel was bought 3 yrs ago 3 times the cost of samsung present cost so u know what u pay is what u get.

My advice is that when buying LCD don't go for contrast ratios & viewing angle specifications, they are all fudged figures & advertised, like real watts vs pmpo watts, instead ask for a demo of LCD tahts what I did when I bought lenovo lcd 3 yrs back.

No the viewing angle really sucks on cheaper TN LCD's. Coming from CRT's I find this quite unacceptable especially since I do photography and some designing too. IPS panels are the way to go, expensive but worth it. However their response time isn't as fast as TN panels are but aren't that slow to have ghosting either.

TN panels achieve faster response time by sacrificing the viewing angle both TN/MVA are meant for different usage.

General advice

If you game then u need TN panels & should not complain about viewing angles as u will always be in front of ur lcd while gaming.

If u r in photography & graphic designing u will never need faster response time, u will need a lcd which is TRUE 8 bit panel & its gamma curve is linear or smooth from dark to light(should not have spiking in the gamma curve) TN panels cannot be accurately color calibrated due to non linear gamma curve which they have.

yash_12 said:
i guess u r new to LCD panels.....

it hapens with all....

It doe snot happen with all LCD, it only will happen with cheaper TN panels, IPS panels can be viewed from 150° without darkening at all.

This is a manufacturing process limitation, the process for TN panels differ a lot from IPs panels bcoz they serve different purposes.

Himanshunegi198 said:
thnx guyz !! now i knw !! my next LCD that i will buy after 10-12 years ,, will make sure i dont buy cheap panels !!! lolz !!

thnx !

You should have checked before u bought the LCD & you are still being ignorant, LCD monitors dont have a 10-12 yrs life cycle.

Max 5-6 yrs unless u use it 1 hr a day.

My lenovo is used 12 hrs a day & it will be completing its 3 yrs next February 10th I am alreday planning my next lcd & it will be IPS panel this time.

I've to balance between gaming and photography, so it's a tough call for me. I still use my CRT monitor as honestly CRT technology is PERFECT compared to LCD viewing angles and response time issues.

I still find the viewing angle nonsense quite unacceptable, as when I watch movies I like to relax and watch and this is a problem with cheap TN models. A slight shift and there is a noticeable colour/contrast change. Very annoying!

ranjan2001 said:
You should have checked before u bought the LCD & you are still being ignorant, LCD monitors dont have a 10-12 yrs life cycle.

Max 5-6 yrs unless u use it 1 hr a day.
My lenovo is used 12 hrs a day & it will be completing its 3 yrs next February 10th I am alreday planning my next lcd & it will be IPS panel this time.

Shocking heads up for me :ashamed: , Is there any LCD with good life cycle... still after using it 9-12 hrs a day?

^ The backlight is the weak link. Although its not that bad. They claim to have a life-span of 50~60,000 hours. Though the numbers might probably be lower in real-life conditions.. plus the fact that the backlight dims over time.

nikrusty said:
I still use my CRT monitor as honestly CRT technology is PERFECT compared to LCD viewing angles and response time issues.

True. But the problem is there aren't any CRTs with a large enough size being made anymore.

Many members have said thanks for my post here so I thank you all humbly & understand that some more detailed info shall help others before & after buying LCD.

Before buying

Be aware! 2/4ms is grey to grey response time and not black to white which is actual response time, don't fall prey to advertising gimmicks millisecond response time is all crap meant to please ignorant people so they can boast about their wide screens. Original response time is far over 16-18ms (black to white) & you see flares when you do a Direct X test, so beware advertising is meant to please us not serve our actual needs. Any fast response time u see less than 12ms is GTG not BTW so be aware that they had a bottleneck created all these years to achieve faster response times & suddenly overnight they are now offering fastest 2ms LCDs too.

I found later while color calibrating via spectrophotometer that these TN panels advertised as 8bit supposedly are actually 6bit plus 2bit interpolated & that's why they lack the gradients & can never pass that Grey gradient test mentioned below.

I suggest all the members here not to buy these wide screen monitors without actually testing them with your comp & the following software.

passmark monitor test (trial works for a month I guess)

PassMark Software - PC Benchmark and Test Software Passmark monitor test has R/G/B smooth gradient test & a grey gradient test which is where most monitors fail. No banding should occur in any of the colors.

Another excellent utility which I used to benchmark my Lenove LCD was "Eizo monitor test" download it from this page.

PRAD | Eizo monitor test

00012xp.jpg

With Eizo number 12 & 14th test are the most difficult test for LCD to pass my lenovo passes all of them perfectly hence I bought it.

Dead Pixel Tester

Dead pixel tester with display aids and illusions.

dead pixel buddy

Laptop Showcase - Dead Pixel Buddy

Pay Rs 500 more but ensure you test it with actual graphic cards as in India the dealers dont provide any return policy, once billed to you they wont take it back.

some useful links on LCD topic worth reading

Viewing angles

http://www.behardware.com/articles/619-17/updated-survey-13-lcd-20-5-6-8-16-ms.html

A Creative Pro's Guide to LCD Screens

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=231339&highlight=<span class=

Corrected the links

TEST TEST TEST

DO u buy ur bike / cars/ without test driving it, or pant shirt all box packed???? no u don't, then why take an LCD or any IT product just bcoz illiterate lala dealers sitting with fat deep pockets to rob u out & then send you to the service center if u have any problem with LCD.

rshri said:
Links in above post are not working!
sorry about that seems while editing my post something went wrong, I have corrected them now.

They are worth reading for sure, hope this helps.

asingh said:
@Ranjan:

Thanks. Those tools are nice.
Welcome the tools are ultimate test of any LCD you may buy.

Back