Android Samsung S4 display problem (dead display?)

iPwnz

Brutally Honest
Skilled
This had to happen after the warranty just expired! FFUUUU... :mad:

So an aunt has this S4 which was fine till a few days ago. I'm not sure if its because of the display but it doesn't switch on. The weird thing is she could use it like any normal phone, receiving calls. But i can't now. the display is fully dead (as in total black out). Not the slighest ray of light, no dimmed display, nothing, just black! Physically the display is pristine.
But connecting it to a charger the little blue led at the front is flickering.
Anyone know what could be the problem? I don't want to deposit at a service center just yet lest they screw it up or say some nonsense and charges me thousands.[DOUBLEPOST=1447056144][/DOUBLEPOST]Just got a vibration! And blue light still flickering.
Anyone know what the problem is?[DOUBLEPOST=1447057030][/DOUBLEPOST]Many other users also seem to be having this issue.
Backlight problem? But i cannot even see the icons in mine so I think that its something worse. :/
http://android.stackexchange.com/questions/93709/why-doesnt-my-galaxy-s4-screen-display-anything[DOUBLEPOST=1447061723][/DOUBLEPOST]Resetting doesn't help. Power+Volume+Home key.
But at one point the blue light glowed for a while without flickering.

Last edited:
I what happened prior to this issue?. May be a loose conduct as you say that she is able to receive calls.
Is it possible to get into recovery or odin mode?

Could be a battery issue as well. You can try giving to the service center

Warranty is over so I tried to open the device myself and check the connectors. But one of the screws just wont come out so i left it at that. >.>

I what happened prior to this issue?. May be a loose conduct as you say that she is able to receive calls.
Is it possible to get into recovery or odin mode?

Could be a battery issue as well. You can try giving to the service center
I also have no idea how receiving calls was possible. Tried everything I could. :(
I'll drop it at the service center tomorrow.
Contacted Samsung customer care who gave me some details and told me to get back to them after submitting the phone at the center.
Praying the service people wont quote 5-6 figure repair cost. My past experiences with Samsung were not pleasant.[DOUBLEPOST=1447142776][/DOUBLEPOST]"Saar, diagnostics of the problem will take 7 days. If its any problem which can be repaired under 1000rs then we'll do it. Else we'll call you after 7 days. If its a screen/display issue it will cost you 10000rs." New S4 costs 14000rs LOL.

Last edited:
UPDATE:
I went to check on the phone today. I was told that the problem was with the display (SAMSHIT S4) and that it needed to be replaced. On further enquiry the service center assured me that the display was the only problem and the phone will work like it used to. Repair cost? 8600-9000. :|
Now my question is: Will it be worth replacing the display or getting a new one for 14-15k? (lets assume the person will buy the same model, again!)
Will salvaging the display from another S4 work and can any local repair guy do it? If yes where can I find a used S4 with a dead motherboard but doesn't have any display problem during its lifetime?
I want to replace the display if i can at the lowest cost.

In my opinion you can very easily get a used s4 for that price and just throw that shit or buy a new s4.
Btw What warranty are those sammy geniuses willing to give for the screen?

Did the phone's display show any signs of colour banding prior to its death?

Last edited:
It would be 6 months for the screen, had my screen replaced for 7500 at the start of the year from Samsung Malad Service Center
S4? 7.5k is reasonable. But 9k? I'm not so sure. I also don't know why there is a difference of 1.5k in the repair cost when they are both Samsung service centers. What parts did they exactly replace? If its only the screen then even I might be able to do it. Will it be possible to buy only the screen from there and then get it shipped to my location. Since me sending the phone from here and you/them sending it back will be too much of a hassle and unnecessary shipping costs. Even 1000rs is a lot man.

I'm thinking of salvaging parts from those sellers on olx. Ebay has them for as low as 6k but i highly doubt they are genuine.

Last edited:
In my opinion you can very easily get a used s4 for that price and just throw that shit or buy a new s4.
Btw What warranty are those sammy geniuses willing to give for the screen?

Did the phone's display show any signs of colour banding prior to its death?
Well i'm looking for a used S4. One guy on olx sold his only 1 year old S4 for 7500rs. It was in a very good condition. I'm not sure at how much i'll be able to get other S4's. No replies from other sellers yet. I'm probably better off getting a used one actually. This one has lots of scratches and some dents/small cracks. Its unbelievable to think that this was owned by a Miss Doctor. Talk about clumsy hands. :|
The thing which i'm concerned about a used phone is the skepticism and paranoia which a lot of people have when it comes to used stuff. So I want to salvage only the display even if the condition is better than our's.

My advice, dump this shit phone as its very well old aged now and get something of this age.
I would if it was mine! :p
But i'll admit it, i love the design. Not so slim and comes with beautiful bezels.
Anyway I've contacted someone for the display. Lets wait and see.

s4 for 6.5k . wonder how much my s3 is now worth

Mine had wifi and bluetooth issues... I sold to a local dealer as I couldnt find any buyer on forums..
Similarly no one would be looking to purchase a S3 today.. Better hold on to it till it lasts and then exchange it for a new device on flipkart.. They give about 3.5k off for S3 as I last checked..

Mine had wifi and bluetooth issues... I sold to a local dealer as I couldnt find any buyer on forums..
Similarly no one would be looking to purchase a S3 today.. Better hold on to it till it lasts and then exchange it for a new device on flipkart.. They give about 3.5k off for S3 as I last checked..
Im planning to root the phone as I heard it makes it a bit faster n lag free. If I in few month decide to sell will I be able to make it original or will they buy rooted phone too

Rooting and installing custom ROMs are two different things..
By rooting, you will have super user permissions using which you can delete all samsung bloatware which you currently could uninstall..
By install custom ROMs, you will have a fresh new android installation.. This will have minimal apps and hence less resource usage which will result in better performance..
And yes, it should be possible to restore back to factory state even after rooting... But you need to research a lot about it.. There are some tools which can reset the KNOX counter and if you take a backup of the current ROM, you could install it again..

:p
I sold my S4 with wifi bluetooth problem for 6.5k to some guy few months back.. May be you could find such a phone and salvage its display..
https://www.techenclave.com/community/threads/galaxy-s4-i9500-16gb.173545/
Can you trace it back and see if he can let it go for 50% of the price at which you sold him the phone? :p[DOUBLEPOST=1448097338][/DOUBLEPOST]
:p
I sold my S4 with wifi bluetooth problem for 6.5k to some guy few months back.. May be you could find such a phone and salvage its display..
https://www.techenclave.com/community/threads/galaxy-s4-i9500-16gb.173545/
Can you trace it back and see if he can let it go for 50% of the price at which you sold him the phone? :p

Last edited:
Rooting and installing custom ROMs are two different things..
By rooting, you will have super user permissions using which you can delete all samsung bloatware which you currently could uninstall..
By install custom ROMs, you will have a fresh new android installation.. This will have minimal apps and hence less resource usage which will result in better performance..
And yes, it should be possible to restore back to factory state even after rooting... But you need to research a lot about it.. There are some tools which can reset the KNOX counter and if you take a backup of the current ROM, you could install it again..
hthanks for reply. understood a bit. with rooting will i be able to remove touchwiz as well ? or il have to put a cynogen ROM for stock smooth android. ?

this is the url for s3 , which version to get ? http://download.cyanogenmod.org/?device=i9300

hthanks for reply. understood a bit. with rooting will i be able to remove touchwiz as well ? or il have to put a cynogen ROM for stock smooth android. ?

this is the url for s3 , which version to get ? http://download.cyanogenmod.org/?device=i9300

No.. I think for cyanogenmod you need not select from the link...
Just root your phone.. Install superuser.. Then visit the cyanogenmod website via mobile web browser.. It will ask you to download a cyanogenmod installer apk.. download that and then the installer would choose the ROM automatically and download it.. it should be around 300-400MB.. so do it over wifi..
For other roms visit xda forums.. http://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-s3/development

And for your other query, I don't think you can remove the touchwiz after rooting.. But not 100% sure.. I actually dont have a samsung phone right now.. Else would have tried it..

No.. I think for cyanogenmod you need not select from the link...
Just root your phone.. Install superuser.. Then visit the cyanogenmod website via mobile web browser.. It will ask you to download a cyanogenmod installer apk.. download that and then the installer would choose the ROM automatically and download it.. it should be around 300-400MB.. so do it over wifi..
For other roms visit xda forums.. http://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-s3/development

And for your other query, I don't think you can remove the touchwiz after rooting.. But not 100% sure.. I actually dont have a samsung phone right now.. Else would have tried it..
its now done. i downloded rom from that site only , was like 190 mb or so. I first tried CM11 but later put CM10.2. phone is not rooted.

Back