Samsung Wave S8500 India release

^^^ Doesnt heat up at all.. only gets warm tht too only during charging.. not other wise..

@ Anish the XXJF8 firmware is the european firmware.. where XX - code for europe.

The latest Indian Firmware is DDJF2.. DD - code for india and middle east. where JF 1 , Jf2 3 ,4 etc etc are just regional updates and not the entire firmware...

As per the coding goes.. the last update jF2 was for the month of june.. none after that...

But i heard in 1 - 2 weeks samsung are gonna come up with firmware update for bada[1.0.1 or 1.1 or 1.2 not sure about the version number....

And for GPRS i think now a days its pre activated with the default plan of paisa/kb... u have to pay rental plans for Mobile connect plans , the 500mb per month , 2gb / month etc etc..

For loop i guess there a 350/month plan which i heard is really good... check it out...

And just check whether you have set your access point correctly in your wave..

menu > settings > connectivity[make sure packet data is ON on this page] > network > connections - here you will have your acess points... HTH

BTW - Does anyone know how can i get the MENU button on the Screen - in the form of a widget or in the place of existing 3 icons doesnt matter...

Im able to change the 3 icons ['keypad' 'contacts' 'msgs'] to any application icon except for the MENU... :(

^ thnks holic ...can you tell me the manufacture month.?? i tried out my frnds wave today ...he got it like in first or second week of july not sure...and it does heat up ..not much ..but when i played nfs shift for like 10 mins....and then watched some clips..not more than 15 mins...it felt pretty warm...it could be becuase of the metallic casing not sure ..and many others have complained about this issue...

panzer008 said:
U dont need gprs to use GPS...... once u download the India maps(245MB) on to ur mmc via route66 sync, u wont need net........ also when u start the GPS, giv it 5mins to get sat conn........ make sure ur outdoors......
Doesnt the GPS software have a 30 day limit.. ???

HAs any body ever used Google maps on wave before ???

IIRC people using nokia handsets have GPS free for life time... is it true ???

Thnks.

@agm_105 - I bought mine around 5 days back..its a July manufactured model..

n also its my 4th day after the first charge.. and the battery still shows 2 bars left.. with medium use.. ;)

BTW - How much time should the fone take to charge from 0 - 100% ???

HoliC said:
Doesnt the GPS software have a 30 day limit.. ???

HAs any body ever used Google maps on wave before ???

IIRC people using nokia handsets have GPS free for life time... is it true ???

Thnks.

@agm_105 - I bought mine around 5 days back..its a July manufactured model..

n also its my 4th day after the first charge.. and the battery still shows 2 bars left.. with medium use.. ;)

BTW - How much time should the fone take to charge from 0 - 100% ???
GPS Navigation has 30 day limit....... not GPS location nd maps........ so u'll get to c ur loc on maps even after the expiry of 30 days.....

Google maps app is not available for Bada OS......... so no chance of trying tht on Wave........

Nokia handsets like 5800XM hav Ovi Maps & Navigation free for life........ tht was only possible bcoz Ovi is Nokia's sw so it can giv it for free if they want...... but not route66 since its not owned by Samsung......

And yes the battery tends to last 4-5 days easily with moderate usage......... also it takes 2.5 - 3hrs to charge frm critical.....

HoliC said:
^^^ Doesnt heat up at all.. only gets warm tht too only during charging.. not other wise..

@ Anish the XXJF8 firmware is the european firmware.. where XX - code for europe.

The latest Indian Firmware is DDJF2.. DD - code for india and middle east. where JF 1 , Jf2 3 ,4 etc etc are just regional updates and not the entire firmware...

As per the coding goes.. the last update jF2 was for the month of june.. none after that...

But i heard in 1 - 2 weeks samsung are gonna come up with firmware update for bada[1.0.1 or 1.1 or 1.2 not sure about the version number....

And for GPRS i think now a days its pre activated with the default plan of paisa/kb... u have to pay rental plans for Mobile connect plans , the 500mb per month , 2gb / month etc etc..

For loop i guess there a 350/month plan which i heard is really good... check it out...

And just check whether you have set your access point correctly in your wave..

menu > settings > connectivity[make sure packet data is ON on this page] > network > connections - here you will have your acess points... HTH

BTW - Does anyone know how can i get the MENU button on the Screen - in the form of a widget or in the place of existing 3 icons doesnt matter...

Im able to change the 3 icons ['keypad' 'contacts' 'msgs'] to any application icon except for the MENU... :(
Thanks for the detailed reply HoliC :)

Now, after i saw that the updates are available for people who install KIES with UK region, I did try to update the firmware using that but to no avail.

Do you think I should reinstall KIES with region as India to update the firmware from JF1 to JF2 ? And is JF2 a reliable firmware?

|Anish| said:
I got mine for 17.3k(ebony grey, not a bad color after all) from Heera Panna today, completely smitten by the phone! :D

TIA
Which shop in Heera Panna? 17.3 seems like a good deal for Samsung Wave!!!:eek:hyeah:

i got my wave for 17.2k from janakpuri dc last week. The feature i am enjoying the most is 'allshare'. It allows me to stream movies etc from my desktop to the phone. It uses dlna technology, support for which is inbuilt in windows 7.

The allshare app is launched from settings menu under connectivity which is pretty strange location to put it under but it does work well :)

@Anish - I am running on JF2 version and it seems pretty stable to me..

So its upto you.. if you want to upgrade to JF2.. i think you might lose all your current data.. im not sure though..

BTW - Another piece of good news to All the Wave Users...

I managed to increase my deafult ringtone volume from 61dB to 77 dB \m/ \m/

Ill write a detailed 'How to..' later on with screenshots and instructions if anybody wants me to... but its real tricky and requires patience...... :p

For now here are the current screenshots..

ciao..

@ Anish will check it out City Chain me thinking about getting a wave but my only concern is bada:S as compared to android:eek:hyeah:!!
but you wont get a better phone in the indian market for that price:hap2:

Pretty many flaws i have been encountering!

1. Not able to configure ActiveSync with Windows live, same with the direct Windows Live email function - getting invalid user name and ID. Similar issue with Google mail.

2. Palringo does not work.

3. Not able to add more than 1 number under a single contact. ( is it designed to be like that or am i doing something wrong?)

4. Unable to search for contacts to add under Groups for eg. Family, Friends, work etc.

5. Opera Mini does not work, gives me an error after I start it stating unable to find internet connection. (Is there any way for us to direct it to an Internet Profile?)

6. Unable to sync SNS contacts on phone after linking to Facebook.

@ HoliC : Where did you get that theme, its awesome! Is there a step by step guide for noobs to upgrade the firmware?

Btw, i saw somewhere on the internet that emails(sync/push) will not work on Vodafone, it needs Vodafone mobile connect(whatever that is :S) to work?

TIA

4-5 days of backup on minimum usage... that's amazing... :) i have changed the battery once, still it only give 1-1.5 day of backup on minimum usage... what is wrong with my phone?

|Anish| said:
Btw, i saw somewhere on the internet that emails(sync/push) will not work on Vodafone, it needs Vodafone mobile connect(whatever that is :S) to work?

TIA
yeah, thats true. very sadly so.
With Vodafone Live i.e the 10p/10KB thing, you cannot access pop3 accounts and palringo.. so no active sync/push mail/gmail through apps.. gmail can only be accessed through the browser, no use that.

for accessing all these, we require Vodafone mobile connect VMC which starts at 199/-

Vodafone is the only service provider which such a bizzare net scheme.. though their network is rock solid, with limitations like these and with other providers giving amazing net offers..... hmmm.

Wtf! Thats insane, I specially got Vodafone prepaid for the email service. BPL's (LOOP) GPRS for some reason is giving me a lot of problems. Any other solutions?

Surfer said:
4-5 days of backup on minimum usage... that's amazing... :) i have changed the battery once, still it only give 1-1.5 day of backup on minimum usage... what is wrong with my phone?
Hey..

go to keypad and type - *#8740# - make sure that the AP - UART mode is enabled.. that should give you the battery time.. do post it here if it works for you..

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

|Anish| said:
Pretty many flaws i have been encountering!

1. Not able to configure ActiveSync with Windows live, same with the direct Windows Live email function - getting invalid user name and ID. Similar issue with Google mail.

2. Palringo does not work.

3. Not able to add more than 1 number under a single contact. ( is it designed to be like that or am i doing something wrong?)

4. Unable to search for contacts to add under Groups for eg. Family, Friends, work etc.

5. Opera Mini does not work, gives me an error after I start it stating unable to find internet connection. (Is there any way for us to direct it to an Internet Profile?)

6. Unable to sync SNS contacts on phone after linking to Facebook.

@ HoliC : Where did you get that theme, its awesome! Is there a step by step guide for noobs to upgrade the firmware?

TIA
ok here goes..

I think im able to do most of the things in that list.. add more than one number to contact... search for contacts in group, im able to sync contacts with fb.. but after adding them to my contact list the GPRS is on continuously to check for updates from those contacts.... balance goes down like crazy.. so i removed all those fb synced contacts..

N for Emailing.. i don use it.. but when i tried it i think i dint get the server info correct.. i think may be you can re route the fone for all internet using applications to use vodafone live instead of the connect... go to settings n try to set vodafone live access point for all apps.. just play with your fone... look at all the possible options...

Im able to use the facebook n twitter app with the 10p/10kb plan.. if someone tells me server settings for mail & Accounts.. ill try that too..

And for firmware upgrade i suggest you try to do it via Samsung KIES only... because DDJf2 is the latest one and kies should let you do it..

PS - I was just looking around.. and i found that you have to have POP/IMAP Enabled in your Gmail/Yahoo Email account.. which you have to do over the web via settings..

ill try all that.. post it here later if it works via 10p/10kb plan... ;)

jithin_s said:
yeah, thats true. very sadly so.
With Vodafone Live i.e the 10p/10KB thing, you cannot access pop3 accounts and palringo.. so no active sync/push mail/gmail through apps.. gmail can only be accessed through the browser, no use that.

for accessing all these, we require Vodafone mobile connect VMC which starts at 199/-

Vodafone is the only service provider which such a bizzare net scheme.. though their network is rock solid, with limitations like these and with other providers giving amazing net offers..... hmmm.
|Anish| said:
Wtf! Thats insane, I specially got Vodafone prepaid for the email service. BPL's (LOOP) GPRS for some reason is giving me a lot of problems. Any other solutions?
I had gone to the vodafone store last week regarding this and they have said that VMC (98 bucks, similar to airtel with 2gb limit) has been launched for prepaid. And, they have said that they will be rolling out the same for postpaid users soon. I registered a complaint with them, and my friend is going to take that issue up with nodal officer and try getting us VMC for 98 bucks. Let's see how that goes.

HoliC said:
Hey..

go to keypad and type - *#8740# - make sure that the AP - UART mode is enabled.. that should give you the battery time.. do post it here if it works for you..

i have tried that buddy, still the same battery backup... it's now 22 hours since i charged my phone, the battery is at 62%... usage are:-

1 hour of call.

1 hour music.

15 mins of browsing on mobile.

the brightness is at 1, no widgets and no app running in the background... :p

Back