Budget Above 40k Samsung's pricing strategy

dpandey

Adept
I have been in the market for a phone and was looking for a good deal on one of the higher end Samsung models. I was eying the s21-5g. The price had gone down to ~55k during diwali but I decided to wait a little longer hoping it will fall further.

Now that s21 FE has been released, Samsung has removed the s21-5g from its store listings (it is still available though at about 64k).

Considering the FE version will be a stripped down S21-5g, I was wondering if Samsung will ever reduce s21's price.

At this point Apple is starting to look like a reasonable company.

/rant

Last edited:
I really wouldn't suggest going for the FE version, at all.
Agree. I want the original s21 5g, not the FE.

Is Samsung the only option that you're looking at?
Not sure what the alternatives are. My current phone in v30 and I would have upgraded to the latest LG's offering if they were still in business. Zenfone 8 looks interesting but Asus doesn't seem interested in India. Maybe Apple.

Fan edition does get discounted pretty fast so pricing should change after the initial launch hype
I am not looking at the fan edition. I was wondering what the FE launch will do to the original S21. My fear is that samsung will clear the stock through tier 2 or 3 retailers and 'disappear' the version. It is very difficult to find older samsung models these days.

Last edited:
As the s22 is around the corner, they might pull off s21 from the market. They did that last year in the case of s20 also. Or they won't decrease the price much.
Looks like. They are pushing s21 fe hard. The s21 is priced at about 65k (it had gone down to 55k during diwali sale).

Anyway, I ordered the s20 fe 5g. Not my first choice, but it looked like good value at 33k.

Last edited:
I was looking to buy S21 or fe too... But disappointed with S21 fe not getting snapdragon..
It would have been great if there are more options other than Samsung and Apple (considering device and service)

(36,999 - 2,000)*(1 - 0.05) = 33249.05

2,000 instant discount + 5% cashback on Amazon ICICI card

Received the phone yesterday. While the phone is good, it is 20 larger and heavier than I would have liked. Will move to apple if I don't get used to the weight/size.
How is the battery life? I checked amazon reviews and people are complaining abt battery life somehow..

Received the phone yesterday. While the phone is good, it is 20 larger and heavier than I would have liked. Will move to apple if I don't get used to the weight/size.
Yes that is issue.I have s21 ultra 512 gb one and I have small hands it simply doesn't fits to palp..i have US version qualaquom cpu one.i got its original cover from Samsung beenwith pencil which makes it even bigger but its silicone type rubbery texture cover phone atleast doesn't slips out of hand.but have rarely used it my older s9 feel much better in hand and slimmer I uses that most of of time.s21 is lying around without sim it has almost been a year.Camera is bummer on s21 U with wide angel angle and 100x zoom.

I have Army ID they are giving it for 33445 something with 10% discount.can i avail that 2k discount also want buy a watch but again 46mm version is not available in samsung army discount program.Got a 25watt charger from them it costed 30% less.rest is same every one is getting same rate its military purchase program is of no use for mobiles

Last edited:
I have been in the market for a phone and was looking for a good deal on one of the higher end Samsung models. I was eying the s21-5g. The price had gone down to ~55k during diwali but I decided to wait a little longer hoping it will fall further.

Now that s21 FE has been released, Samsung has removed the s21-5g from its store listings (it is still available though at about 64k).

Considering the FE version will be a stripped down S21-5g, I was wondering if Samsung will ever reduce s21's price.

At this point Apple is starting to look like a reasonable company.

/rant
Tata Cliq has the S21 5G for 53k and it is possible to get the S21 Plus for 55k through Croma, so probably you didn't check elsewhere as then those prices are lower than the Diwali price you have mentioned.

But yeah, Samsung overprices the phones and then drops the price drastically regularly to realistic levels throughout the year. They really can't compete with Apple at the same price considering the poor software support compared to iOS along with the lower raw processing power and camera image quality.

Tata Cliq has the S21 5G for 53k and it is possible to get the S21 Plus for 55k through Croma, so probably you didn't check elsewhere as then those prices are lower than the Diwali price you have mentioned.

But yeah, Samsung overprices the phones and then drops the price drastically regularly to realistic levels throughout the year. They really can't compete with Apple at the same price considering the poor software support compared to iOS along with the lower raw processing power and camera image quality.

At that price, iPhone 12 seems better proposition for long term, if we exclude the ios vs android debate... Again if they decrease prices further, there will be too many S21 variants at minimal price difference. I wish samsung just sticked to one or two S series phones instead of fe, normal,pls, ultra variants.

Back