Sandisk Launches ReadyCache 32GB SSD In India For Rs 3759

RoBoGhOsT

Perambulating
Skilled
Sandisk has launched ReadyCache 32GB SSD , which is an add-on solid state disk drive and speeds up the system working along with the current hard drive by caching files on the SSD using the included ExpressCache software .

readycache.jpg

The Sandisk ReadyCache offers following features -
  • Faster Boot Times: The SanDisk ReadyCache hardware and software solution enables up to four times faster boot performance than a standalone hard drive, letting consumers boot their computer quickly and shut down the system in moments
  • Faster Application Launches: The caching solution launches applications up to 12 times faster3, which is especially useful during gaming, business and multimedia applications
  • Supports Multiple Hard Drives: Unlike most SSD caching solutions, the SanDisk ReadyCache solution can pull data from multiple hard drives, enabling a consistent performance improvement when utilising more than one hard drive
  • Supports High-Capacity Hard Drives: The solution supports hard drives with any amount of capacity so users can enjoy maximum storage space
  • Data Coherency: All data that resides in the cache also resides on the primary storage, which helps prevent data loss if the caching solution is later uninstalled
  • Seamless Multitasking: The caching solution enables consumers to smoothly run simultaneous applications, ideal when multitasking
  • Fast Installation: With the SanDisk ReadyCache solution, consumers don't need to replace their existing hard drive, clone their operating system, perform lengthy installs or migrate data. The product comes with an installation kit that includes a SATA 6Gb/s cable, a 3.5-inch mounting bracket and screws; and the software is simple to download and install.

The Sandisk ReadyCache 32GB SSD is priced at at MSRP of Rs 3759 and comes with a 3 years warranty .

Is it worth buying this? I know this is only a cache drive and does not have performance of an SSD, but its probably better than a normal hard drive right

Yeah, I need some opinion on this too! Gannu ?

I am no expert on this subject but I feel the capacity is a bit on the lower side. A typical installation of Win 7 64bit Ultimate occupies close to 15 GB and that spares you with roughly another 15 GB? Which may be a bit insufficient for some program installations such as games for instance. Games these days occupy at least 8~10 GB and spare you some space. I believe the page file also occupies some space on the drive. The Temp folder would also get occupied with files eventually and requires cleanup periodically. IMO it may be better to invest in at least a 60GB drive, I'd however opt for a 128 GB. My present 60 GB drive does not let me install more than 2 games at a time.

EDIT: This looks like an add-on drive not a typical SSD. I am not sure of the performance boost compared to a regular SSD.

I would however refer to stalker and Crazy_Eddy for any SSD related queries. Would like to hear their views on this.

The concept sounds good but will be heavily dependent on how well the bundled caching software works.

Aren't 64GB SSDs available for around 4k these days? Unless one was on an extremely tight budget, the full on SSD sounds like a better option. Also, like Gannu said, 64gigs is the bare minimum one should hope to have in an SSD. Even that will involve a bit of free space juggling though.

Whats the difference between these SSDs and lets say SSDs offered by the other companies - Intel, Corsair, OCZ etc? In case they are similar than I think the other companies are offering better sized SSDs at a better rate.

Sandisk has launched ReadyCache 32GB SSD , which is an add-on solid state disk drive and speeds up the system working along with the current hard drive by caching files on the SSD using the included ExpressCache software.

This is cache device, you do not install software in these drives. They enhance performance by acting like huge page-files to cache frequently accessed data.

Also I do not recommend the OCZ Agility series SSD, they are older iterations of Sandforce drivers and can take a hike and leave you with a BSOD for all you know.

Hope this clears up the doubts, Cheerio!

32GB is actually enough for a boot drive,if you have another drive for apps. I've been using a 32gb ssd for the last few years as O/S drive. With XP its easily done, with Win 7 you need to do a few things like disable hibernate etc

This is cache device, you do not install software in these drives. They enhance performance by acting like huge page-files to cache frequently accessed data.

Also I do not recommend the OCZ Agility series SSD, they are older iterations of Sandforce drivers and can take a hike and leave you with a BSOD for all you know.

Hope this clears up the doubts, Cheerio!

Oh - this clears up a lot of doubts. Agree on the OCZ series. Was just an example :D

32GB is actually enough for a boot drive,if you have another drive for apps. I've been using a 32gb ssd for the last few years as O/S drive. With XP its easily done, with Win 7 you need to do a few things like disable hibernate etc

Cool, what about this Sandisk ReadyCache 32GB SSD? Worth buying it as a Cache Drive?

As far as i understand this acts as a cache and not a full on drive. I dont think it is for installing your OS like regular SSDs.

#Gannu correct me if i am wrong.

Actually this is much helpful in the situation you have steam games installed (esp TF2). You dont have worry about a small C drive and still get faster speeds than HDDs. Also it mentions support for multiple HDDS. So all programs and not just the one you have installed in you SSD should show improvements.

@krugur: I am guessing so. Just the OS and the essential programs should just be fine on the drive. Games and other apps. may be installed on the hard drive and yet the drive should pull off good speeds overall. But we need to see the reviews first to judge the drive and its potential as a cache drive.

This could be a very good drive for HTPCs wherein its just the OS and the media player app. like XMBC. The content is usually stored in hard drives.

Last edited by a moderator:
How does it help in a HTPC of all places :S
If all you'll have are the OS+media player, you could as well squeeze them into a 32Gig SSD, if not 64.

Content is never going to benefit from having an SSD.

Also, afaik Steam now has the option of allowing you to modify game install locations (Not a 100% sure if it's in the release version, if not, it's in the beta client for sure).

stalker said:
How does it help in a HTPC of all places :S

Because the HTPC starts up much much faster - sometimes way faster than the present gen HDTVs. When you have one in place, you would know. :)

stalker said:
If all you'll have are the OS+media player, you could as well squeeze them into a 32Gig SSD, if not 64.

Where have I suggested a 64 GB SSD for the HTPC? I said, THIS drive fits perfectly for the application. Even a regular 32GB SSD fits just fine.

stalker said:
Content is never going to benefit from having an SSD.

It wouldn't and no one in their sane mind would ever want to do that.

stalker said:
Also, afaik Steam now has the option of allowing you to modify game install locations (Not a 100% sure if it's in the release version, if not, it's in the beta client for sure).

No idea.

Context!

I said, I don't see the point of getting a solid state cache when you can get a proper SSD for as much money.
I suggested the 64Gigger (if one can afford it over a 32Gig SSD). I think this device has no benefit over a regular SSD. Especially for a HTPC.
Because the HTPC starts up much much faster - sometimes way faster than the present gen HDTVs. When you have one in place, you would know. :)

Where have I suggested a 64 GB SSD for the HTPC? I said, THIS drive fits perfectly for the application. Even a regular 32GB SSD fits just fine.

It wouldn't and no one in their sane mind would ever want to do that.

Isnt it recommended to disable hibernation , superfetch and page file on a SSD as they waste space and performance gained is negligible or less than on an SSD

Isnt it recommended to disable hibernation , superfetch and page file on a SSD as they waste space and performance gained is negligible or less than on an SSD

superfetch - yes

pagefile - usually

hibernation - if you dont need it. Having a SSD does not change your need for hibernation. Hibernation will just happen faster

Back