Storage Solutions Sandisk pendrive not detected on Windows 10

fractal

Disciple
I have a Sandisk Extreme Go 64GB USB 3.1 Flash drive
It is not detected on Windows 10 but detected on Windows 7 (I have a dual boot, so can test on same port).
Also tested on a brand new Windows 10 laptop
Tried formatting to NTFS, ExFAT but same behavior on Windows 10.
I can see the drive in disk management in Windows 10 but cannot assign a drive letter

Anything I should check or try before requesting a RMA?

@fractal

What's the exact error you're facing while trying to assign a drive letter under Windows 10? Have you tried diskpart to do the job so that you can get a proper error log?

@fractal

What's the exact error you're facing while trying to assign a drive letter under Windows 10? Have you tried diskpart to do the job so that you can get a proper error log?
This is the error I am seeing.
DISKPART> assign letter=R

DiskPart has encountered an error: The system cannot find the file specified.
See the System Event Log for more information.

DISKPART> clean

DiskPart has encountered an error: Access is denied.
See the System Event Log for more information.
I saw some suggestions on other forums on using linux tools to wipe the drive and then trying to format under windows. Will try that.
Though this works fine under windows 7 and only seeing the issue in windows 10

@fractal

Since the drive works perfectly under Windows 7 (according to you), can you please take a look at the event logs under Windows 10 to spot the underlying cause of the error? Moreover, can you please post screenshots of the diskpart command sequences right from the beginning, i.e.:
Code:
diskpart
list disk
list volume
and so on?

Just curious, have you ever tried locking it using BitLocker or making multiple partitions on it (e.g. as a Chrome OS recovery media)?

An update:
I wiped the disk and the partition table in Linux and formatted using gparted as NTFS. It took some time as I did not have a linux installation handy

Now this is identified in Windows 10. Checked the speeds and its working fine. I had raised an RMA and got it approved but will not need to RMA now

Just curious, have you ever tried locking it using BitLocker or making multiple partitions on it (e.g. as a Chrome OS recovery media)?
I have never used chrome OS but I have used bitlocker on this drive in the past
However I did not have bitlocker on the drive when I saw this problem and it have been wiped and freshly formatted number of times in Windows. It was working fine on Windows 7 but not detected on Windows 10.

Strangely Linux provided a better low level tool to format and re initialize the device!

Last edited:
Back