PC Peripherals Sandy Bridge shopping: 4 x 2 GB of 2 x 4 GB, and why?

Vandal

Skilled
Quick question. Looking for DDR3 for an upcoming Sandy Bridge upgrade. Am undecided between 2 sticks of 4 GB each, or 4 sticks of 2 GB. Correct me if wrong, but 1T timings will only work with 2 sticks, no more. The balancer for that (and basically why I cannot decide) is that 4 sticks would ready me for quad channel when it releases.

Comments?

Vandal said:
Quick question. Looking for DDR3 for an upcoming Sandy Bridge upgrade. Am undecided between 2 sticks of 4 GB each, or 4 sticks of 2 GB. Correct me if wrong, but 1T timings will only work with 2 sticks, no more. The balancer for that (and basically why I cannot decide) is that 4 sticks would ready me for quad channel when it releases.

Comments?
if we are considering ideal memory sticks with ideal timing then it would be wiser to go for 4x setup. but match and replacing 4 pieces when one of them dies is more cumbersome than case of 2.(unless you have purchased quad-channel certified kit)
more-over, wouldn't it be wiser to opt for quad channel when it is actually in practice?
memory standards (speed/latency) would be better in future (unless world ends next year if that matters).

If you are certain that you will stick to current memory setup irrespective of available options in future then go fr 4x ; otherwise 2x makes for a simple and easy to manage setup.

Alternatively, you can always make it 4x4 :p

IMO, a 2x4GB config is anyday better than a 4x2GB. Reasons being as follows:

1. Less stress on motherboard. because less number of slots powered.

2. Better overclocking and stability. Easier to match 2 sticks than to match 4 sticks.

3. Data fragmentation per chip will be lower, hence more efficient use of memory.

Layman's example: If a process is consuming 550MB of continuous system memory, then a 2GB stick can accommodate 3 such processes (1650MB), whereas a 4GB stick can accommodate 7 such processes (3850MB). Hence a 4GB stick can handle 1 process extra than the 2x2GB counterpart.

4. Future upgradeable. As memory requirements will increase in future, vacant slots will be required

^pretty sure I would stick with 8 GB and not go higher. 6 GB seems overkill for most applications, including gaming. Also, if I bought 2 GB x 4, I would surely buy a quad channel kit.

However, the point about data fragmentation is an interesting one, that I wasn't informed about. Thanks for bringing it in, sato, will read up more.

OK so 4 GB x 2 almost decided. Any suggestions? I see a sh1tload of Gskill options. How is it as a brand compared to OCZ, Corsair and Kingston. I have had a terrific experience with OCZ, having run 6 of their sticks for 3 years sans failures, but no personal experience with Corsair. Our office uses Dominators, but we've had 3 sets of sticks fail in the last 4 years. How are the Dominator GT sticks in terms of build?

^^

I have G.Skill RIPJAWS CL9 1333MHz 4GB kit + 1*2GB G.Skill RIPJAWS CL9 1333MHz 2GB stick on a ASUS M4A785TD V-EVO + Phenom IIx4 965 -- using for 1 year no issues, or atleast they have digested everything I've thrown at them and I like the design of the heatsinks better :).

Back