Sanyo Prototype TV Phone

When it comes to the trade shows, Sanyo is my favorite company. I don't usually spend too much time speaking with them, or taking notes, or doing other journalistic things, though.

I like Sanyo because I love looking at the concept and prototype devices they are always showing off.

This year at the Consumer Electronics Show, as usual, Sanyo was showing off a lot of cool toys. Some we've seen at shows past, some totally new. As expected, Sanyo was showing off the prototype of a new Digital TV capable handset. Sanyo says that the handset supports H.264/MPEG-4 AVC and "data broadcasting". TV programs can be viewed in normal portrait mode, or the display can be flipped and the clamshell closed so that the TV can be viewed in a more suitable landscape format. The phone and TV antennas are combined into a single unit, and the device also includes a miniSD memory card slot.

The handset, so far unnamed, has a 262k color TFT display and a 2 megapixel camera. It also supports CDMA EV-DO 3G data, such as that offered by Verizon Wireless. The battery should last long enough for users to enjoy about 2 hours of DTV on the handset, which weighs 150g and is 102mm x 50mm x 28mm in size.

Sanyo has no indicated when the device will be commercially available, or who might be offering it. :no:

Reviewd By : Michael Oryl of MobileBurn

Back