SATA driver for REDHAT LINUX (AMD64)

senfunn

Adept
I have the following config .
AMD 64 3000+
MSI NF4 platinum
6600GT PCIX
80GB B'cuda (SATA)

I want to load REDHAT linux 9 . I already have WinXP SP1.
I have the drives partioned as

C: WINXP :mad:
E: 20GB - NTFS
F: 40GB - NTFS

Iam thinking of loading linux in F: . What are the steps i should take ??

I tried but the loader doesnt recognize SATA driver.
Plz help me out :S :hap2:

Redhat 9 doesn't have drivers for nforce. Get Fedora core 2 and install that. Runs fine on nf3-nf4. Don't try Fedora 3 as the nforce drivers are screwed up again in it. If you must install redhat 9, then set ur sata controller to IDE emulation mode from the bios and then you won't need a SATA driver.

senfunn said:
Iam not getting what you are saying .. Plz let me know ?!?!?!? :huh: :O
Put ur SATA hard drive on the blue connectors(close to the mobo fan) not the red ones. The red ones are run on the PCI bus so they share PCI bus bandwidth.

Oh.. Its already connected only there i suppose ..anyway i'll check it out ..

Regarding this driver for linux where is this option to change SATA controller to IDE emulator in
BIOS .. ??

senfunn said:
Oh.. Its already connected only there i suppose ..anyway i'll check it out ..

Regarding this driver for linux where is this option to change SATA controller to IDE emulator in
BIOS .. ??

There should be an option to enable/disable RAID on the nforce controller. (Atleast thats how it is in my asus k8n-e deluxe). Disable that and the drives work in IDE emulation mode.

Oh .. i got it .. thanks

And what about ubuntu . Mandriva ?? will get nforce driver for that ??

One more doubt .. What are the other drivers i need to install for linux apart from nforce.
Will SATA driver be present in the nforce driver itself ?? may sound idiotic to ask this but i dont know the fundas ??
And should i install a driver for 6600GT also ... ??

Back