Storage Solutions SATA or PATA dvd-writer

cyrux

Adept
I am planning to go in for a dvd writer and since SATA and PATA optical drives are available for the almost the same price , i was thinking about which one to go. The thing is , i have an el cheapo zebronics 400 W PSU with the regualr molex power connectors. Since SATA drives would require a converter for power connection, i was thinking how reliable these converters are ? I have already heard a few cases about optical/hdd burns due to improper connections.

So , now in a dilema to go for a SATA drive or trusted PATA ?

If i go for a SATA what are my options apart from Samsung S203B. I dont trust samsung

If i go for PATA i would go with LG H55 N

SATA is the future and it is likely that your future Mobo may not have PATA. Further it will aid in better airflow. Somebody else may please opine about the converter.

BTW I wont recommend Samsung ( due to bad reputation for long) but I am using S203B (Rs.1.4K)and find it really good. Plus it received good reviews at reputed sites. Sony, Asus etc. are also can be your choice.

if u don have any intention of upgrading your rig for a year or more..

then i'd defintely suggest the PATA LG H55N/L(lightscribe) !!

it's a great writer...

and the Samsung S203B is well-reviewed because of the features & speed it offers,but on the long run..it just won't stand!

PATA drives have two plus points for you.

1) No playing around with the power interface.
2) More features in PATA drives.

Once you close the cabby door, you will not care what's inside...SATA or PATA. It's not worth debating this for the sake of a cable. Focus on DVD read/write quality (more than Lightscribe even. I don't think you would care about this after sometime.).

Regarding upgrade...Bluray might be out by the time you decide to upgrade. Or you might just want to get a whole new system then..DVD drive included.

Edit: I'd stay away from S(c)amsung in the optical drives dept but their latest offering has had some decent reviews. It's just a matter of personal preference.

Bluray hahhaha hhaha

DvD market will rules for more than 3 years ,Atleast in India

so 1.3K is a good investment....Thats my point of view!

i'd go for a PATA writer, since SATA ports on mbd restrict the no. of hdds u can plugin....and in the future, you'll feel short of sata ports (after buying a hdd after another)....so why waste one for a writer now...

rPOk said:
i'd go for a PATA writer, since SATA ports on mbd restrict the no. of hdds u can plugin....and in the future, you'll feel short of sata ports (after buying a hdd after another)....so why waste one for a writer now...

Yes, it is true for most of the people.
But in my case after 11 years and several upgrades, from a 1.2GB Quantum I am at present with a 80GB SATAII Hitachi.

trader123 said:
Bluray hahhaha hhaha

DvD market will rules for more than 3 years ,Atleast in India
so 1.3K is a good investment....Thats my point of view!

I used to think so too but nowadays, things are moving fast esp. in the laptop segment. I was truly surprised at how fast 250GB laptop HDDs were made avbl in India.

IIRC, Bluray is already on offer with Dell M1330 laptops and the likes. Desktop might be a bit far but 3 years is a long time to estimate these days.

get SATA...reduces cable clutter.....more B/W then PATA.....(my mobo has 4 SATA and one IDE) this indicates that the future mobos might even remove the IDE and offer only SATA ports...so SATA is the way to go

I'd go with rPok on this. ^^^Even in your case, u'll have 1 SATA port open for HDDs in case u go PATA on optical drive. As it is, optical drives gain no benefits in speed and performance with SATA.

if u wanna use it in your next system... get sata
other than that it doesnt matter :)
and ya... you wont be filling all your sata ports any time soon :D

^^^I have 5 internal SATAs, all filled. Now if I need more space, I'll have to replace one HDD or find a good eSata drive (don't like USB transfer speeds).
HDD space is never enough if u have a 2mbps connection :eek:hyeah:

Systemic Anamoly said:
+1 for sata :)

as for HDDs something like this can always help lol

Where's the space in my cab(check out my rig)? External storage solutions with SATA/ Ethernet connections are way too expensive or not easily available to me. In his case, he might not need so many drives :D , but I was just making a point.

6pack said:
^^ get a bigger hdd and save sata ports!! sell those 74gb drives and get a 500gb one!

Those 74 GBs are there for the perf, not storage. Anyways, I did say that in case I require more space, I'll need to replace my drives.
Not trying to make an issue out of it, but aside from the fear that mobos are going to make IDE ports obsolete, what benefits do u see in SATA optical drives? Mebbe I might go for one too if I see any benefits in performance, stability or whatever. As it is, most PSUs have very few SATA power connections and 1 IDE cable should not make any diff to airflow with proper cable management.

Also, saving the SATA ports for HDDs make more sense to me as the bandwidth will be used more optimally. And don't forget, we are yet to utilise the full benefits of SATA3g in HDDs, forget about optical drives.

If I'm wrong, I'll be glad to be enlightened. After all, I want to extract the maximum from my PCs :hap2: !

I already got a Lg H55 N like 2 weeks back .

Burnt just a couple of dvd's ,looks fine to me

One of the dvd was from tech-com which costed me 10 bux, wanted to check if it writes fine on cheap discs and yes it did.

Lets see how last it longs

sata is less congesting man and personally i dont mind to switch over myself as i have had pretty much nill luck with ide dvd writers, 2 already went dead and 3rd one (BenQ 1650) is almost on its way to burial ground :lol: reasons unknown though and BenQ is really cool writer considering it worked fine for 1 year the rest had died in 7-8 months only lol

Back