PC Peripherals sataII hdds available??

apollyon

ex-Mod
are sataII hdds available?? no one in pune seems to have any....seagate 7200.9 hdds r available, but only the pata ones.....hitachi or anything else available? n what about the 36gb raptor? any idea abt pricing n availability?
what will be a better option??i am gonna use it as a system drive only...just os, nothing else.....raptor or a sataII?

apollyon said:
are sataII hdds available?? no one in pune seems to have any....seagate 7200.9 hdds r available, but only the pata ones.....hitachi or anything else available? n what about the 36gb raptor? any idea abt pricing n availability?
what will be a better option??i am gonna use it as a system drive only...just os, nothing else.....raptor or a sataII?

See these pics they will answer your question.

my.php

my.php

The Hitachi 250gig SATA-II drives do offer competition to the WD 36gig Raptor. However since it is aimed to be used as ONLY an OS drive, the extra space would seem a waste! Not sure about the 80gig Hitachi SATA-II's. They could work out cheaper + as Zhops mentioned, you could combine them in RAID-0 for a faster option.

Most of the time the Raptor's raw speed overtakes competition, while SATA-II relies more on smart techniques to access data faster, and the only speed boosts SATA-II gets is from the disks with higher capacity disk platters aka larger-sized disks.

There is very less perf diff between sata 2 and normal sata drivers.
IMHO not worth spending the extra money for sata2 drives.
The transfer speed is mostly same read the sata2 hdd reviews in the mag.

[Guys correct me if i am wrong but i feel that there is really not much difference between sata 2 and sata]

The raptors will make a difference but.

Crazy_Eddy said:
The Hitachi 250gig SATA-II drives do offer competition to the WD 36gig Raptor. However since it is aimed to be used as ONLY an OS drive, the extra space would seem a waste! Not sure about the 80gig Hitachi SATA-II's. They could work out cheaper + as Zhops mentioned, you could combine them in RAID-0 for a faster option.

Most of the time the Raptor's raw speed overtakes competition, while SATA-II relies more on smart techniques to access data faster, and the only speed boosts SATA-II gets is from the disks with higher capacity disk platters aka larger-sized disks.

Would'nt the WD caviar with its 16 meg buffer (250 gig SATA 2) be better than the hitachi in this case..... I mean besides the 8/16 meg buffer the drive specs r the same...

Back