Car & Bike Saw a Royal Enfield Electra to purchase.

big.bAd.boi!

Disciple
Hey, i saw a RE Electra 350cc 1993 model, good firing, pickup, braking, drive was smooth, quoting at 40k, i saw similar model 3 months back & he was quoting me 35k ( negotiation was possible ) how much should i quote him & what more research do i need to do on the vehicle besides checking for insurance papers, no criminal record & also i would be second owner if i buy it, so it hasn't been in many hands.
UPDATE - The RE i saw was bad wet due to rain & the seller sold it to mechanic for 35k ( that's what he said ) & he also changed stuff where the wire of spark plug goes in, that whole mount, so chances are he might have changed some parts inside? He says he has worked on it, so i'm worried the sound, performence etc shouldn't be short lived.

~30-35 is good enough ..40k isnt that bad considering its a Bull with CI engine and signature thump coz all Cast Iron engines are going to be replaced with UCE very soon!! (so i heard)
also keep in mind, finding the spare parts of the bull might be a problem in future!

They have already taken the Cast Iron engine off the market, so it may demand a premium there, but 40k seems to be a little much for a '93 Electra.

Main things to check for on a bullet are:

1. Oil leaks near the drain plug, oil filter nut, tappet cover and gearbox seams. Preferably try to check this after some extended high-RPM riding, where vibrations tend to cause nuts and seals to come loose.

2. Bend in the chassis and handlebar. Easiest way to check for this is the let go of the handlebar and see if the bike veers in any direction. Check if it is equally easy to turn (lean) to the left and right. Bends in the frame seem to be difficult to isolate and rectify even for the best mechanics, so this is an important one.

3. Check how easy it is to start first thing in the morning. The ambient temperature need not be cold, but the bike should have been standing for atleast 6 hours. A well tuned and maintained engine should start on first or second kick (with or without choke). If you are not experienced with starting bullets, ask the owner to do it for you, but make sure he hasnt had a chance to kick it a few times before you arrive.

big.bAd.boi! said:
Hey, i saw a RE Electra 350cc 1993 model, good firing, pickup, braking, drive was smooth, quoting at 40k, i saw similar model 3 months back & he was quoting me 35k ( negotiation was possible ) how much should i quote him & what more research do i need to do on the vehicle besides checking for insurance papers, no criminal record & also i would be second owner if i buy it, so it hasn't been in many hands.

Its not a bad deal thou. But 30-35k will be ideal for a '93 electra model. Do not buy it without a testdrive for atleast 10km. You can easily feel the engine's condition, the thump and most importantly the chasis bend if any(like Grease monk said).

Back