PC Peripherals SB Live! 24-bit or Audigy2 Platinum

lazyme

Adept
I'm getting a brand new SB Live! 24-bit for 1.6k and a used Audigy2 Platinum for around 1.5k.Which one should i pick to pair with my ATP3?

The SB Live is Very Good not a A2P but still it hold its own..i wud say if the A2P is in good shape then go for it..otherwise a SB will do just fine

Both will sound more or less the same as they have the same DACs and opamps. The only plus of the a2p is that it'll have hardware acceleration. So if the a2p is in good condition, get that. Is the seller supplying you with the front drive bay attachment as well?

Don't ever go for the SBLive 24bit ... its not a good sound card and would be no different than an onboard sound accelerator ... It misses the 10kX chip (DSP's or Digital Sound Processors) , and i think it uses a software decoder for EAX , which it turn will use the CPU reducing overall performance .. the Audigy2 Platinum would be a better buy ... u could slightly increase ur budget and get a Audigy2 ZS ...

actually, the 24 bit sb live and audigy 2 sound almost exactly the same in terms of audio quality, games are a different matter all together and the Audigy 2 excels here, id suggest you go ahead with the Audigy 2 if u are a gamer, if not, take a pick between the two judging warranty and other issues :p

and if u decide not to buy the audigy 2, lemme know whose selling it :p

Back