Scam centers and us

napstersquest

Thread Police
Adept
I have been following this saga for a long time now.

Mark Rober published his latest video recently, highlighting most important terms, MO and even scam center locations, people involved and their identities.
Must watch here:

You might call me an optimist, but I think we can do something about it as well.

At least thinking about doing something costs nothing, right?

What do you guys think we can do to take part in this movement against scammers?

What do you guys think we can do to take part in this movement against scammers?
We can only report them to Police, which might also be a bad idea since you can not report anonymously and many of these people share beds with police.

and even police can't do much, most of these scamcenters operate under shade of real business which function normally during daytime in India, plus they have insiders in pd who are able to tip them pre-raid.

even if they somehow manage to do the raid, all they will catch are low level workers who are at the bottom of the heirarchy, many of them are usually hired for real callcenter jobs but instead are offered these. most of the money is with bosses and sub-bosses which operate them remotely.

government also doesn't focus much on these as they don't really affect Indians as much. but in reality it does paint a real bad image of India globally.

about the linked video, even after so much fuss, those are still operating, a few cockroach and rats, some smoke and stink, "haha lol funny, now back to scamming", doesn't have much affect.

They not have something like that in the west ?
They use voip services so they are usually assigned random numbers from pool(if I'm correct), crowdsourcing scam numbers wouldn't work on random numbers. some of them also make it so you have to initiate the call from a number given on website(popups), so a much better option would be to use a good adblocker and avoid random sites, but these target old people who aren't that technically sound.

Last edited:

They not have something like that in the west ?
I doubt all these days this is being followed, people on full dnd still receive the calls or messages.

Imagine a scenario, you went to visit a property (assuming you are looking for one), there the realtor will ask you the details. Now you book the property with that realtor and for next few months - all the other realtors or marketing agencies on their behalf will call you for the properties. Despite efforts from TRAI for the DND push, businesses are using alternative route to reach out to people. Banks started sharing the contact details in alternative route and if you apply for any banking services in one bank, somehow these third party agencies get all the details.

I don't think the video shown addresses that.

@desiibond So magicbricks explains many of scam calls I am getting while on international roaming.

One guy scam calling from Mumbai was shouting obscenity when told the number is in intnl roaming, so not interested in his call. His friend was telling him to leave me alone ! Bugger couldn't understand the fact that Indian mobiles can work outside the country.

Magicbricks helped me hugely though, while trying to sell property. Credit where credit is due.

Register your number once on policybazaar and magicbricks. Then turn on full DND again. You will know.
Add Google to that mix - if you observe carefully most of us have the Gmail with 2FA enabled or mobile number linked and in our inbox we will see relevant ads by Google.

They use voip services so they are usually assigned random numbers from pool(if I'm correct), crowdsourcing scam numbers wouldn't work on random numbers. some of them also make it so you have to initiate the call from a number given on website(popups), so a much better option would be to use a good adblocker and avoid random sites, but these target old people who aren't that technically sound.
There is something known as a do-no-call-list. When called you tell them to put you on that list. If they don't action can be taken. I know this because that is what i did when i lived in the US and it worked. So there is a DnD like equivalent there.

Moment you mention that they cut you off. Now they can come at you with different numbers but there are rules in place to go after these people.

Keep in mind i'm referring to legit business calls. Scams like these people are doing needs something extra.

I mentioned it because that video makes it look like the west is entirely defenseless in this matter. Really ?

I mentioned it because that video makes it look like the west is entirely defenseless in this matter. Really ?
These centers target the old and infirm who aren't technically sound. I used to work in Tech support for US customers and I've spoken to some elderly people who reply they have a White Dell or a HP when I asked what their Windows/OS version was. It's these people who are prime target for the scam centers.

These centers target the old and infirm who aren't technically sound. I used to work in Tech support for US customers and I've spoken to some elderly people who reply they have a White Dell or a HP when I asked what their Windows/OS version was. It's these people who are prime target for the scam centers.
Awareness. I think these people would talk about these things among themselves. There will always be vulnerable people but its a moving target.

I don't think anyone young or old ever is immune to a scam. There is too much social engineering involved.

The simplest tool to use here is caller ID. Don't recognise the number or where it comes from. Don't answer. This was the main selling point for caller ID which used to be sold as a stand alone device years back.

Last edited:
At least thinking about doing something costs nothing, right?

Mark's video has gone viral.

I get calls from these scam centers, the best two-bit I can do is waste their time by pretending to be an easy victim. That way, their time is lost in scamming someone for real.

I follow Jim Browning and a couple of others. It takes an immense amount of planning and resources to nail down these scam centers.

Secondly, am sure there are some guys who would love to take them down considering the amount of influence those guys have around cops and politicians. Things could backfire at them.

Secondly, am sure there are some guys who would love to take them down considering the amount of influence those guys have around cops and politicians. Things could backfire at them.
They issued a kill order in that whatsapp group for the trilogy media people and sent goons over to one of the employees house. They've got mob connections ;)

Last edited:
Even with DND active, I lost count track of the Credit Card, Loan spam calls that I receive everyday. Having to depend on Truecaller for screening.
ICICI bank has the audacity to have its own DND list. Unless you are there, they don't care about TRAI's DND list (at least of you have an account with them). On its website, you can register yourself into the special DND of ICICI Bank. After which you still get spam calls from ICICI Bank.

Complaining to 1909 gives the response that it was a "service call". No wonder, the year 1909 was that of the scam called Morley Minto "reforms".

I am ****ing disgusted that my hometown is now filled with these a*holes!!!
You are not reponsible for the behaviour of others :)
There's another thing I remember. These centers use software to call people. When you get a call, just say nothing. If you reply then it connects to an agent.

If the calling software does not detect a voice it disconnects the call and moves to the next number.

Last edited:
Have you been to that area? Kolkata Sector 5
Yes, Sector V in Salt Lake is one of the two tech hubs, and TCS, Cognizant, PwC, EY and so many reputed companies are located there. It’s shocking that such dubious call centres are operating around the same area. Even I was working from office around that area until WFH started.
You are not reponsible for the behaviour of others :)
Yes, but it hurts to think so many people are part of such scam offices and have no consciences about duping people. Soulless people.

Yes, Sector V in Salt Lake is one of the two tech hubs, and TCS, Cognizant, PwC, EY and so many reputed companies are located there. It’s shocking that such dubious call centres are operating around the same area. Even I was working from office around that area until WFH started.

Yes, but it hurts to think so many people are part of such scam offices and have no consciences about duping people. Soulless people.
take matter into your own hands and go fart in their offices, surely that will teach em.
images.png

Back