OC & Modding [Scratch Build] Phase Changer RIG.

rakesh_sharma23

Do It Yourself
Adept
Hi,

I am back ones again, this time scratch building a Case from aluminum with Phase changer cooling.

For last few weeks was doing some R&D.. so now it’s time to start the build.

My inspiration for this build is this LD V10 case..

I will try my best to make my case as a clone of this case.. only the laser cut fan grills will be very-very difficult to be fabricated by hand..let’s see..

Just to add that I will not be using any type of power tools for this build..(Cos I don’t have any). All the cutting, drilling, grinding and finishing will be done by hands only.

Proud to announce Sponsor for this build :

asuslogoinblue09.png

ASUS sponsoring the project with Sabertooth P67 Motherboard

Special Thanks to 'BIKeINSTEIN' and 'toolius'

antec25yellow.png

ANTEC sponsoring the project with Case fans.

kingstonlogou.jpg

KINGSTON is supporting the project with some good Hardware.

typez.jpg

Here is rough layout of the build (just for idea..).

casem.jpg

Ok to Start, some half inch square aluminum rods purchased, at a super discount rate from a friend’s shop. (P.N. Agarwal & Co. , sardarpura, Jodhpur). Thank you Ashish.

14011284.jpg

All rods are of good quality ..My friend personally monitored that on piece should not have any type of manufacturing defect.

52869549.jpg

Cutting the rods in proper size…

Dam they are too hard .. it took about 15 minutes to cut one end of four rods together.

62976406.jpg

Filling all ends for proper 90 degree flat face..

88216592.jpg

So after about three hours of late night work.. I have finished all the rods to be made in as a frame…

Next have to drill some holes, make threads for screw and join the frame together.

66445559.jpg

44457932.jpg

Thanks for reading the thread..

Try to finish the frame by Sunday.. so Monday will be a big update, also will be posting a Sponsor’s name for this build.. so stay tuned…

Rakesh Sharma

OMG

this is something i am going to follow with keen interest

btw are u going to use this setup full time or just a prototype build for something even more powerful ??

moksh4u2 said:
btw are u going to use this setup full time or just a prototype build for something even more powerful ??

Still dont know.. i do modding for fun..
Will decide what to do with the rig after i have finished it...

BIKeINSTEIN said:
^ It's still working by hand- just more power to the hand for quicker DIYs. :)

Who is in a hurry...? :D

Point is, Mod a PC with power tools = 10000+ guys will say they can ... but without power tools just few..
And I want to be a part of that few only.

Awesome! Wishing you all the best!

Rather than using Al rods, you should have got L sections. I got something like 30 feet of it to make a case, but lost interest in it :(

From yesterday evening till now working nonstop.. just took a two hours sleep…

Case frame is done.. very tired so just want to sleep… Will post lot of pics 2moro.

Thanks

Hello bro :)
The champ is at it i see :) woooootttt
Looking absolutely wicked my bro !!
Please let me know if there is anything at all that i can do to help with this bro.. it would be my honor :)
Cheers and kind regards bro !

P.S. - Get some rest !!! :p

Mondays Update.
So last Friday I have finished cutting and finalizing the ends of the rods for the case frame.
Now have to drill holes and join the frame together.

First marking center of the rod.
18558861.jpg

Punching hole for drilling.
56769247.jpg

Hand drill in action.
Used new wooden drill bit set.. so drilling was very easy .. First I tried drill bits used for iron,, but they have very small cutting angle , so using with aluminum was very difficult . But wooden drill bit cuts aluminum very easy ..
27585505.jpg

Primary holes done
22588481.jpg

using three incremental sized drill bits , main hole for screw threading done.
30185587.jpg

Threading.. Aluminum is very easy to work with.. effortless
17822698.jpg

Screw baby screw.. perfect .
69132787.jpg

More drilling threading.. whole night
60299470.jpg

4 in the morning finished drilling and threading .. filling and tap holes for screws remains.. just tested how two rods joins.
24831014.jpg

Time to join the monster together..
33672741.jpg

Perfect tapping of screws.
10327459.jpg

First top frame. Perfect right angle joints..
80564866zu.jpg

Now bottom one.
16887908.jpg

Both ready..
14084400.jpg

More to go.. now top frame rod screwed.
59159719.jpg

Front side ready…
99549229.jpg

there goes back side too ..
85198254.jpg

Frame is ready .. it look huge.. everyone in the house was saying.. this is too big for a PC..
71060262.jpg

77326940.jpg

Just to give an idea how huge this frame is, I have placed a PSU .. so you can understand seriousness of the matter.
24017801.jpg

Final the frame in done it’s about 4pm on Sunday..
39124729.jpg

This build can take some time.. since I am fulltime Office employ and family executive at home. So full modding on weekends and tit-bits on weekdays.. you all can understand..

Thanks for watching.

Rakesh Sharma

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Post Updated...

Thanks ..
Will be purchasing Aluminum sheet for outer cover.. today evening..

Just little suggestion requested from you all guys.. Getting another Mobo for this build .. I am already heaving i7-2600k and Asus P8P67.
So which one to get from these three boards.
Asus P8P67 Pro
Asus P8P67 Deluxe
Asus Sabertooth P67

Thanks..

You know which one ;)

Hi..
Just to inform a little change in case plan.

Since aluminum sheet is available in size of 4 x 6 feet ,, and I was using 12 gauge sheet.. so cutting it into right size for to be used on outer side requires a table saw ( I don’t want to go for power tools at all in this build)… and cutting a 12 gauge sheet with hand was very difficult..

So finally I purchased 8mm Hard MFD board… (Since I will be painting the whole case.. MFD or Aluminum sheet it doesn’t matter)

It’s 11 pm and I have finished cutting and fitting MDF board on outer side..

Case is looking real good.. I have made good quarter curve on the top edges .. which was not possible with aluminum.

Later when all cutting and holes for PSU, mob , etc will be done, I will apply a good wood putty and smooth the surface via fine sandpaper ..after painting no joints will be visible and whole outer body will look like a single piece..

Sorry to disappoint if you all were waiting for more aluminum action…

But really cutting a 12 gauge aluminum sheet by hand was very difficult job.. it took me about 10min to just make a 1 inch cut, and I was fully exhausted my hand were paining a lot.. 12 gauge sheet is too hard..

Ones thought I should go for higher gauge .. but they were too thin for the case.. (Since sheet has to be screwed to the frame and clearance between screw head and frame body was equal to 12 gauge)

Will upload some pics soon..

Rakesh Sharma

Back