Graphic Cards Screen Blacking out for a few Seconds.

Ethan_Hunt

Secret Agent Man
Skilled
I'm not sure if this is the right section but I really need your advice on this issue.

The thing is I have just fresh installed Windows XP with SP2 on my PC again.Got the Nvidia Forceware 169.21 drivers installed.Since then whenever I reboot my PC,the loading till Windows XP log on screen is fine.I also get my icons displayed for sometime then all of a sudden BANG! The entrie screen blacks out.Then returns to normal is say 2-3 seconds.I have had this issue before as well but got it randomly fixed by disabling Nvidia control panel from MSconfig.But now for some reason that isn't working.Also at times it used to switch off my monitor when I would restart & the light would switch to an light orange colour(although the HDD was still active) & I would have to perform a cold reboot to get it back.

Now this is really ticking me off as I can't say for sure where the problem is & how to get rid of it.I have a entry in MSconfig called Nvcpl which I assume is for Nvidia control panel.Now when I disable it & reboot the PC it turns itself back again & there is no registry entry to disable it from start up.

Guys any idea what's causing this issue? Is it a bug with the drivers? :huh:

Update ur vidoe card drivers to the latest ones, check the power profiles for any anomalies, disable any option which can shutdown the screen or hdd, orange light means ur system goes to sleep. Goto safe mode and observe if its the same behavior ur having there.

I will try updating it to the latest driver.The only thing I wanted clarity on was whether it was a software related issue or a hardware related.I have observed that this is a very random issue & hence the frustration.I sometime feel it's due to overheating or stuff like that whereas the ambient temperature is pretty normal & the games run flawlessly without any noticeable crashes.This occurs mainly when I reboot the system.There is nothing much to tinker around with regards to Nvidia CP for putting the monitor in sleep.I'll have to recheck though.

Thanks for the tip though.:)

I was having the same issue with my graphics card (ATI X1900XT) i.e the screen blacking out for a second, all of a sudden it stopped working also, then god knows what happened it started working after a day. Now blacking out happens very very rarely, apart from that no other issues. Am sure the problem in my case is with the graphics card only. Couldn't find any solution :(, lemme know if you find any :).

Yeah, give it for RMA if there is warranty. For mine i bought it in singapore , so not possible atm to RMA it hehe.

This is a known Issue with ATi Graphics.
I had Onboard X200 It also used to Black out for a few secs and Come back.
I Updated the Drivers, The Blacking out Dint Stop But reduced. Hope This helps;)

ShaTTeR said:
This is a known Issue with ATi Graphics.
I had Onboard X200 It also used to Black out for a few secs and Come back.
I Updated the Drivers, The Blacking out Dint Stop But reduced. Hope This helps;)
Even had the blacking out problem with my EVGA 9600GT KO edition card,this thing used to occur when the refresh rate was kept at 60 hertz but works fine at 75 hertz :huh:

dunno abt nvidia but wen i had the d101 mobo....the same happened just as windows started up....and no more..

and dose who havent noticed ull see this thing doesnt happen if u boot in safe mode....so driver issue certainly pops in here

so i came to the conclusion that the blinking was maybe a kind of forced detection method for displays and their refresh rates....

^^^ I have the same one second blank screen on startup problem with some drivers on my 6600GT as well as 8800GTS, same problem on both cards. The drivers which have worked 100% stable and trouble free in my setup are the old 158.27 whql.

Well I have got rid of that issue.Temporarily atleast.Now I am planning to install the latest forceware drivers.Do I need to run Driver Cleaner Pro too or just a simple uninstall-reboot-reinstall would do?

Same issue in desktop just post boot.
Happening since i am on 169.21. :(

But it's selective for some reason- happens on some cards and not on others.
Have uninstalled drivers, used DC pro/driver sweeper but issue still remains.
Only affects a few cards and not all- not everytime- all cards nvidia here and mostly 6 series. :p

Not affected anything else except for that brief moment of blackout after boot up that is as scary as the vpu recover on ati cards. :p

And i am doing 1280x1024 at 85hz on a 997DF. :)

this happens mostly because of 2 reasons..
1st being the vista loading screen resolution at 800x600 defaults at 55hz. So when the actual OS is loaded it changes the resolution and frequency to the one set by the user..
2nd being that nvd3dumx.dll is only loaded after the login screen. It usually helps initiate the directx components.
165.xx were the last ones to contradict the 2nd reason as Dx10 was rolled out by then. Also applies to catalysts.
Not sure why it happens "sometimes"..

I got the latest 175.16 forceware drivers installed.Let's hope that the problem doesn't arise in this version too. *fingers crossed*

Back