OC & Modding Scythe and Noctua

asingh

Staff member
Super Mod
Hi,

Am interested to replace the rear and left side panel fan on my CM690, and remove the top two fans (doubt they are doing much). So was interested to mount 2 high speed fans at the respective points. I looked at the "GOs" for Scythe and Noctua and could not make out what to get. Sound/noise would not be an issue, since I have a 4x fan controller, and I game with headphones. Any expert advice. Would prefer 120mm variants. Since pricing is on the soft side, is not an issue. How is the 'Scythe Ultra Kaze 120mm'.?

Note:

Not meaning to cannibalize the dealer sales, but just want some rave -- end user reviews.

The Ultra Kaze is pure performance, it really does push a lot of air. As expected, it is mad noisy as well, using it without a controller isn't advised.

Noctua fans have a reputation for being silent. I don't think it has any fans in the 130cfm mark. Given your needs, I'd recommend the former.

asingh said:
Hi,

Am interested to replace the rear and left side panel fan on my CM690, and remove the top two fans (doubt they are doing much). So was interested to mount 2 high speed fans at the respective points. I looked at the "GOs" for Scythe and Noctua and could not make out what to get. Sound/noise would not be an issue, since I have a 4x fan controller, and I game with headphones. Any expert advice. Would prefer 120mm variants. Since pricing is on the soft side, is not an issue. How is the 'Scythe Ultra Kaze 120mm'.?

Note:
Not meaning to cannibalize the dealer sales, but just want some rave -- end user reviews.

get scythe gentle typhoon or s-flex

As you are gonna use it as cabby fan, you dont need high static pressure fans, but cfm matters most. I would say, go with either Scyth Slip Stream 120 1900 rpm one or the Silverstone FM121. Both are around 36 dB and 110 cfm, and both costs around 450~500/-.

kaze ultra is 133 cfm, but more than 10dB louder, and is 38mm thick. Its well suited for CPU fans. Same goes for delta 120 cfm fan.

Noctua ones are mostly silent types, and has some 7yrs warranty. They all falls in sub 70 cfm category. Not a wise option for you.

^^

I would need them as cabinet fans. Rear, and the left panel (below the transparent CM690 window). You mean the 1900 RPM variant of this.

Is the 'Scythe Ultra Kaze' not good for cabinet fans..? Basically I want all the Xfire heat out of the cabinet.

Kaze ultra is good as cabby fan too, but not worth the extra 23 cfm at the cost of additional 10dB. Also u should have enough room for thick 38mm fan.

Those are wider fins and rotate at insane rpm, so that it could force air through thick fins of a cooler, or through thick obstacles. Thats what they are made for and makes lots of noise.

Also Kaze ultra is 750 bucks, whereas the SS 1900 is just 450/- :)

btw, its not the link u gave. This the SS 1900 > Slip Stream 120 : Scythe EU GmbH

phoenix has a GO goin on. I got my Kaze ultra and SS 1900 last week, both are amazing. The Kaze ultra seems bit more powerful than the Delta 120 cfm fans i currenly own.

Delta AFB1212HHE vs Scythe Kaze Ultra 3000

Delta:

*2900 rpm | 0.70A | 120cfm | 44dB | Brushless dual Ball bearing

*The center part, ie the motor area is much larger than the Kaze, and by peeking inside through the edges, the delta has another wall surrounding the motor, and it could mean, a better bearing than the Kaze.

*As the center is larger, it makes the fins smaller and the cfm too comes down. That explains why the delta is 120 while kaze ultra is 133 cfm m while the rpm is just 100 more for ultra, and fin size and shapes are identical.

*Feels bit lighter than ultra, although close to double that of normal 120mm fans.

*Comes bundled with a fan grill and push pin screws for it but no molex to 3 pin adapter.

Kaze ultra:

*3000 rpm | 0.6A | 133cfm | 46dB | Brushless Sleeve bearing

*Centre portion is smaller and hence larger fin which translates to slightly higher cfm.

*Feels bit heavier than delta, coz of its thicker coil wires, and hence can be even driven on 24v :O . have seen is some forums, people overloading this very same fan upto 24V, and rpm goes insanely to 5000rpm :O . Delta could also go much higher if overvolted, but wont stand as high voltages as kaze.

*Bundled molex to 3 pin adapter which has one mobo connector too for reporting rpm. No fan grill bundled.

Just noticed that my CM 120mm fans also run at 1980-2000 rpm. The Scythe fan controller is showing this. Now this is for the 2 top fans which I plan to remove. How different would these be to the Scythe S-FLEX 120mm (S-FLEX SFF21G 1,900 rpm). I could easily replace these with the rear and side panel, where I plan the new installations..?

First of all, im not refering to Scythe S-FLEX 120mm (S-FLEX SFF21G 1,900 rpm) , but Scythe Slip-Stream SY1225SL12SH (1900 rpm version). S-Flex 1900 is just 75cfm, which wont be much of an improvement over your current Cm 2000rpm, maybe some 10 cfm higher. Whereas Slip-Stream 1900 has over 40cfm higher than normal 2000 rpm 7 fin fans.

Have a look at this fans ive clicked.

http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/6249/p10302031.jpg

http://img202.imageshack.us/img202/4233/p10302161.jpg

http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/2284/p10302171.jpg

even i'll suggest you to go for Slipstream as they are complete VFM.

it costs about 450/- & can push 110CFM of air (1900 rpm's only)

I would anyday go for Silverstone FM121, which has almost same specs like noise level, and cfm but with dual ball bearing than the sleeve bearing used in Slip Stream 1900. Both costs almost same, but i went with the Scythe as the Fm121 is only available with our old friendly resident dealer from Chandigarh... u know who :D

Should I just go for the kill and put in two Kaze Ultra's since I have a good fan controller. Dominator, please do not kill me, I understood your logic. But I want tons of air movement in there. The Delhi heat is killing my system with 2xHD4890s in there.....!

hehe..

if you can live with the noise, kaze ultra is the way to go. 2*kaze ultra will cost 1.5k.

One cheaper option is delta afb1212hhe. Retails for 450/- and performance is so close, u wont notice it. 2x delta will cost you 900/-. You can even get three for the price of 2 kaze.

Also do frequent cleaning of dust. It can bring down temps more than a powerful fan.

Gow1tham/aud1ophile is selling a 250 cfm metal 120mm fan. Look out for that too. It's noise will be around 60~65, but one hell of a performer.
look out for that too :D

If ample airflow is all that you want, buy 3 Delta fan mediahome's retailing and connect it to your motherboard fan headers and undervolt it to ~8v. That should bring down the noise considerably.

Before I switched over to the Lian Li, I had the same setup on an even smaller enclosure - Antec NSK 4400. :p

dOm1naTOr said:
phoenix has a GO goin on. I got my Kaze ultra and SS 1900 last week, both are amazing. The Kaze ultra seems bit more powerful than the Delta 120 cfm fans i currenly own.

and all those in a zeb antibiotic.:(

Back