OC & Modding Scythe Mugen 2 vs Noctua NH-U12P SE2

pretttt

Skilled
Hi,
so my i5 config is coming along slowly. Have already ordered mobo, almost ordered Rams also. Only need to go buy i5 750, which will hopefully happen this week.(i5 750, asus P7P55DE, gskill 1600MHz CL7)

so, need to decide on a cooler now. I had initially settled on Noctua, hadnt seen Phoenix's deal thread then. After seeing that, I'm a bit unsure.

Pros for Mugen2: well its a bit cheaper yet manages to keep up with Noctua and even beat it sometimes. Con: comes with only 1 fan.

Pros for Noctua: is a complete package, no need to buy fan, top notch performance, fans are supposed to be very high end. Con: bit pricey.

So, is the noctua worth the 800Rs difference? (Both are within budget, so no probs there.) Please suggest. Need to place order atleast by Saturday.

TIA:hap2:

i5 750 does not get very hot and the TDP is just 95W. I don't think you need anything better than scythe mugen 2. But that would depend on how much of an overclock you need, so could you tell us what are you aiming for?

well, I'm not really sure how much I want to overclock. For now, I think there is no point of OCing also, since my GPU would be much bigger bottleneck.

But, I want to buy a good cooler, so that even if I decide to OC in future, the cooler should not be a limitation.

I'm kinda leaning towards Noctua only right now.

Go with Noctua then. That's a good cpu cooler, no doubt about that. At that price you could actually consdier a few other coolers too. Other TE members should be able suggest a few others.
Do note that oOne of the reviews I read suggested the second fan doesn't make any difference for the noctua.
I was able to get to 4GHZ at < 60 degrees with core i5 750..Noctua should atleast be capable of that.

I've used a Noctua U12P with 2x 85CFM Panaflo Fans on a 95W TDP Q9650 at 4.05GHz 1.34v & U12P handled it quite easily so i5 will be easy too.

So in my opinion buy a Noctua U12P SE2.

pretttt said:
Hi,
so my i5 config is coming along slowly. Have already ordered mobo, almost ordered Rams also. Only need to go buy i5 750, which will hopefully happen this week.(i5 750, asus P7P55DE, gskill 1600MHz CL7)

so, need to decide on a cooler now. I had initially settled on Noctua, hadnt seen Phoenix's deal thread then. After seeing that, I'm a bit unsure.

Pros for Mugen2: well its a bit cheaper yet manages to keep up with Noctua and even beat it sometimes. Con: comes with only 1 fan.

Pros for Noctua: is a complete package, no need to buy fan, top notch performance, fans are supposed to be very high end. Con: bit pricey.

So, is the noctua worth the 800Rs difference? (Both are within budget, so no probs there.) Please suggest. Need to place order atleast by Saturday.

TIA:hap2:

mugen is a monster HSF, performs better than Noctua U12P with 3rd party fans.

Noctua U12p is very VFM @ that price and of course it reeks of quality.

DId u forget MEgahalem?:eek:hyeah:

Gowt1ham said:
DId u forget MEgahalem?:eek:hyeah:

well, did not forget, but have no idea how much it costs or where it might be available. I'm looking into these two since they are easily available on TE.

The popular opinion seems to be for Noctua and I think that is the one I'm going for.
Thanks a lot for your replies....:)

Some heatsinks are good for push pull, some heatsinks don't need a push pull as it gives similar cooling compared to one fan option. That being said, does having one fan on mugen 2 is really a con? I mean if push pull on mugen 2 gives same OC stability and same/similar cooling as a single fan, then what's the point in push pull? Depending on the board's layout, 1-2 DIMM slots are sacrificed.

Out of curiosity, just how much are you planning to overclock? If its not that much or somewhat moderate, do you even need to spend that much on heatsinks? There is that factor called showoff, but such people tend to sell their heatsinks away as they get bored and shit, reality is they don't overclock their rig that much. I guess many people bought SCCF for "vfm" factor but some regretted because of the mounting option?

The question is mindset and/or how much one plans to OC rather than price difference of 800 bucks.
Other than that, noctua all the way, but its just my opinion as I haven't seen anyone using the mugen 2. It comes all the much needed socket bolt-thrus and I think noctua does supply add on bolt thru kits for older noctua heatsinks.

The Sorcerer said:
Out of curiosity, just how much are you planning to overclock? If its not that much or somewhat moderate, do you even need to spend that much on heatsinks?

as of now, I'm not even planning to OC. I learnt from Udit in other thread that to use 1600Mhz RAMs with i5 750, it will automatically get OCd to 3.2GHz. So, as of now this is the max I'm going for. For now, I'm not planning to OC above this.

but, like I posted above, if I do decide to OC, I'll OC to whatever is the highest freq I can go to safely. So want to buy a good hsf keeping that in mind.

^^ Then I am sure you also read it at the same time that 3.2 ghz can be overclocked on stock voltage. That being said, does one need anything better than cogage?

You heard the points from all sides now. I am sure these points mentioned above will suffice to make the decisions accordingly.

The Sorcerer said:
^^ Then I am sure you also read it at the same time that 3.2 ghz can be overclocked on stock voltage. That being said, does one need anything better than cogage?

haraakiri said:
I have got my friend whose got his core i5 750 overclocked to 3.6G with hyper tx3 which costs around 1.1K :).

so you guys saying, I dont need a cooler or atleast such an expensive one?

well, my first idea was to buy CM Hyper 212+, but when I had created a thread for suggesting components everyone suggested the Noctua. That is why I decided on Noctua.

as for cogage, where can i get it? I did not find any TE dealer selling that. I dont think anyone in SP Road (Bangalore) would've even heard of it. Just getting those losers to pronounce the name correctly would take me half a day :mad:.

The Sorcerer said:
That being said, does one need anything better than cogage?
I checked in Cogage website, there seems to be only 1 product for LGA1156 and that is the Cogage Arrow (which is reviewed on TE). That one is a high-end product (3.5K, no fan).

The Sorcerer said:
^^ Primeabgb is selling that. Call and check if they have stock.
checked his website.. no mention of Cogage. Dont mind calling him up, but let me know which model to ask about. Any idea about appox pricing?

pretttt said:
Dont mind calling him up, but let me know which model to ask about.

Ermm.. didn't I say cogage? Its Thermalright cogage true spirit. Not to sure about pricing but it somewhere between 2.2k-2.5k vat charges included excluding shipping, last time when I checked anyways.

The Sorcerer said:
Ermm.. didn't I say cogage? Its Thermalright cogage true spirit. Not to sure about pricing but it somewhere between 2.2k-2.5k vat charges included excluding shipping, last time when I checked anyways.

dude.. you did say Cogage. Only Cogage that comes for LGA1156 is Cogage Arrow (which is very expensive).

Please suggest cooler for core i5 750.

@Udit
dude, what do you suggest? should I stick to Noctua or get something cheaper/more vfm?

Back