Storage Solutions Seagate 2008 Hard Disk showing out-of-warranty

cybertragic

Disciple
I had purchased a Seagate 120 gb PATA drive in 2008 from a shop in Nehru Place. While purchasing the shopkeeper had assured me that this carries a 5 year warranty.

However, it started getting a lot of errors and after checking with Seatools it seems that the drive has corrupted.

The problem is it is giving me an out-of-warranty message when I check on Seagate's website, although the warranty should have been till 2013.

I have misplaced the bill and don't even remember which shop in Nehru Place I bought it from exactly.

Do you guys think anything can be done about this? Anyone ever have a similar experience with Seagate?

sadly you can't do anything about it without a bill...on top of which you dont even remember the place of purchase to request a copy of bill.

madnav said:
sadly you can't do anything about it without a bill...on top of which you dont even remember the place of purchase to request a copy of bill.

I guessed as much. But will contacting Seagate customer care be of any use? I can't find their India email/Phone number on the site. Does someone know them.

can u provide me the serial number/model no/part no:/ also date code on the product so that i can check with seagate India staff (chennai) for the same.

amd999 said:
can u provide me the serial number/model no/part no:/ also date code on the product so that i can check with seagate India staff (chennai) for the same.

Thanks a ton for doing this for me.

Serial no. is 3KA1VBP3

Model No. is ST3120023A

Part No. is 9W4001-002

Date Code is 03401

The dealer had signed the hard drive with the date 16/04/08. So even if it's only 3 years warranty, it should still last till this month.

For some time few seagate drives were sold with one year warranty. But that was way back in 2004, after which competition from Samsung forced them to revert to 3 year warranty.
In your case, most likely is that you were sold a piece that was manufactured long back than actual sale date.

as per seagate RMS centre details:-

Your drive is out of warranty :its sold on the year 2003.its warranty expired on 2008.
its made in the year 2003! year of introduction 2002.Drives sold on year 2008 carries 5 year warranty.from APR 2010 only 3 year warranty !!

perhaps the dealer sold you an old stock drive or any pull out from old system (may be).The only option is to approach the dealer only (if u knows him).

try to get the bill copy so that you can claim another one,else new PATA drives are more costly ,or some dealers can identify the markings on the hard disk by dealer name and can specify which dealer's marking is ...TRy this way too ........

i have tried contacting seagate online.

they are lousier than their service provider AccelFrontline..

they stopped responding after 2-3messages..i had posted the log in a thread but can't seem to find it.

please take a picture of the drive and post..or if you can.. check if the drive is an OEM drive...it would be written on the drive...that is one of the reason why your warranty has expired.

in that case..nothing can be done without a bill.

amd999 said:
your drive is not OEM ,its a retail import for INDIA as per database.but imported on 2003.

i had similar situation..
the drive was OEM but seagate warranty checker shown full 5yr warranty..
Accel denied warranty due to OEM imprint on the drive...
had to finally get a replacement from the dealer itself.
dealer took 60 days to get replacement via his channel.. it did not work for him so he gave back a brand new WD drive for my peace of mind.
more about the issue here

seagate warranty checker has issues.. it sometimes shows invalid drive etc errors and sometimes works properly.

after considering all the hassle and headache and new 3yr warranty policy.. i have stopped purchasing seagate since then.

amd999 said:
as per seagate RMS centre details:-

Your drive is out of warranty :its sold on the year 2003.its warranty expired on 2008.
its made in the year 2003! year of introduction 2002.Drives sold on year 2008 carries 5 year warranty.from APR 2010 only 3 year warranty !!

perhaps the dealer sold you an old stock drive or any pull out from old system (may be).The only option is to approach the dealer only (if u knows him).

try to get the bill copy so that you can claim another one,else new PATA drives are more costly ,or some dealers can identify the markings on the hard disk by dealer name and can specify which dealer's marking is ...TRy this way too ........

Thanks a ton for helping me out.

The bill is surely lost. I don't even live in Delhi anymore so going to Nehru place and hunting down the dealer is not an option.

Will it be any use to contact someone in Seagate about this situation?
Also, apart from this drive I have another Seagte PATA 80 gb drive which is still in warranty and also has bad sectors. I am mailing it to Chennai tomorrow as per instructions on their website. Is there any way to get back a SATA drive in return if I request them?

Segate cannot help on the above issue because its not thier problem.If any Seagate authorised agent sold a product with proper bill & having issues on warranty they will help you,Unless its........

also for your second drive , they will ship to your given address ,also they will not swap in for SATA for PATA, IDE drives are still having in stock at Seagate RMAs across India.

Back