Storage Solutions Seagate Drive : S.M.A.R.T error

-Anish-

Skilled
I dont know if my drive is really SMART or DUMB. But Ok, something has happened to my 6 month old drive all of a sudden. I used to get some bluescreen errors but I ignored them thinking that it maybe an issue with some drivers.

I used to get 0x000008E ataport.xx error

Thinking that its a software related issue, i re-installed Windows Vista 64x Home Premium today. But, right when i start my system,just after the BIOS screen I get a SMART error. (Wow, it sure has some guts, it directly tells me to backup and replace :O) I have performed chkdsk /r on all the partitions but no issues found with that .

mini-DSC00429.JPG

mini-DSC00432.JPG

I have always been particular regarding the way my system is shut down - I made sure that the system is shut down in a proper manner.

No idea what is causing this error. Please let me know if there is a way to tackle this error.

This drive was bought around 6 months back from NP (Delhi). Its a Barracuda500GB 7200.12 RPM drive. No idea where the bill is. :ashamed: (Am i done for ?)
TIA
|Anish|

Does not require a bill to RMA Seagate HDD's... Use HD Tune or Ontrack Easy Recovery's diagnostic tools to see if there are physical errors.. You can also use Seatools.

Run SMART tests (extended). If remapped sectors are less than 36 then you need to replace the HDD.. Do not ignore SMART....

Thanks Hailstone,

Will download the tools mentioned and run some tests on it.

So SMART errors are always related to bad sectors or do they denote any other issues with the hdd?

Regarding RMA, I actually bought the HDD from NP(Delhi) but I reside in Mumbai. So, whats the procedure like? Where do i have to go thereafter?

Thanks sumchamp !

I cant rep you as i have to spread some rep before i give it to you again :(

I will contact them when i get home.

I ran HDtune and here is what i got. Is this repairable or replaceable ?

HDtune.jpg

I checked on the seagate website, and its under warranty till 2014.

Reallocated sector count error is a sure sign of impending hdd failure. As time goes by the number of reallocated sectors will increase. This happened with my Seagate hdd too. Finally got rid of it and switched to WD.

RMA the drive immediately.

paraman said:
Reallocated sector count error is a sure sign of impending hdd failure. As time goes by the number of reallocated sectors will increase. This happened with my Seagate hdd too. Finally got rid of it and switched to WD.

Only if its increasing... All HDD's have reserved portion for transferring data from corrupt sectors.. Even factory shipped HDD"s have reallocated sectors many times... Only if it goes below threshold ie.36 than you should be in a data loss situation...

Nevertheless if reallocated sectors are increasing then definitely RMA is necessary... So one should always check their HDD's every now or then....

paraman said:

HailStonE said:
Only if its increasing... All HDD's have reserved portion for transferring data from corrupt sectors.. Even factory shipped HDD"s have reallocated sectors many times... Only if it goes below threshold ie.36 than you should be in a data loss situation...

Nevertheless if reallocated sectors are increasing then definitely RMA is necessary... So one should always check their HDD's every now or then....
Thank you! Thats good amount of info. Will be giving the HDD to Seagate in a couple of days. :)

goodness, i ve been trying to contact the AccelFrontlines 1800 number since ages now, is it always busy?

How the hell am i going to obtain a complain number ? :S

|Anish| said:
goodness, i ve been trying to contact the AccelFrontlines 1800 number since ages now, is it always busy?

How the hell am i going to obtain a complain number ? :S

Forget the number. just walk in between 9:30 AM and 5:15 PM.

+1 @ Emil,

Just walkin and give it to them, they'll issue a service invoice to you and ask you to call up next day...

Back